View Full Version : George Steinbrenner Dies

mikecc
07-13-2010, 08:57 AM
Steinbrenner died at about 6:30 a.m. ET today after suffering a heart attack last night.

WABC reports George Steinbrenner has suffered a massive heart attack. The TV station says the Yankees owner was rushed to St. Joseph's hospital. The New York Daily News and ESPN are reporting that "The Boss" is in "extremely critical condition."

Steinbrenner turned 80 on July 4th

The Dad Fisherman
07-13-2010, 09:17 AM
RIP George

JohnR
07-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Rest your oars, George.

stcroixman
07-13-2010, 11:51 AM
RIP George and thanks for the memories

Joe
07-13-2010, 01:56 PM
As colorful a baseball figure as you're likely to find....

BigFish
07-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Very sad news for baseball on such an auspicious day! He will appropriately be remembered at the All-Star Game tonight! Hated Steinbrenner as a kid (I learned as I grew older as with the Yankee teams it was out of respect for them and him) He is the last of the truly great owners....these days teams are owned by groups and financial conglomerates........he is a part of baseball history and lore as one of the true great owners and characters of the game! Rest in peace George and thanks for so many years of great, great baseball and all of the memories you helped to create!

MarshCappa
07-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Love him or hate him you have to admire his success! RIP George! You certainly left your mark on this world!

FishermanTim
07-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Exactly, you may or may not have liked him, but he damm well knew how to run a team.
When I first started following the Soz/Yankee rivalry, the dislike towards George wasn't because I hated him, it was because I hated that fact that he would do what needed to be done in order to put together a winning team. I'm not saying that he would outright "buy" a winning team, but rather put together a team that played well TOGETHER. I still follow the rivalry, and root for the home team, but understanding what goes into creating a winning combination makes it all the more enjoyable.

Thanks for setting the bar for us to follow, George.

God bless and may you rest in peace!

chrisjoe13
07-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Anybody hear Bill Lee's comments?
Funny stuff.

The Dad Fisherman
07-16-2010, 05:08 AM
Love Bill Lee......I gotta hear those comments.

afterhours
07-16-2010, 05:18 PM
RIP boss..always ran a pretty professional org. he was always very generous to the jimmy fund.

Raider Ronnie
07-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Love him or hate him George always wanted to win no matter what it cost in $

My opinion, him dying is very bad news for the Sox and the rest of MLB.
As long as Cashman is running the show and picking their players they will continue to win.
Just look when George was suspended.
Cashman built their farm system and those players who came up from that farm system were the reason they won all the recent world series.
George started messing with the team again and signing every guy/bust like Giambi, Kevin Brown and others

FishermanTim
07-23-2010, 11:22 AM
The latest story regarding George is about his estate not having to pay an inheritance tax. Had he passed next year, the tax will be 55%
but this was the last year before the change back to the old way of screwing you after you die.

Someone had the balls to ask the stienbrenner family lawyer if the estate would be willing to voluntarily pay an inheritance tax, and they laughed in their face!
Yeah, you screwed him in taxes every day of his life, and after he dies you have the balls to ask if his estate will willingly pay a tax it doesn't have to? What are they, crackheads?

Oh what a wonderful world/country we live in, where they tax you even after your in the ground! Maybe "they" can put their collective heads together and find a way of bringing the dead back to life so they can tax them even more, or impose some asinine "after-life tax" because you shouldn't be able to enjoy your final reward/resting place without paying your dues!

SurfPlug
07-24-2010, 11:23 AM
George was great for winning for NY and he always remembered the fans.

Mike P
07-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Love him or hate him George always wanted to win no matter what it cost in $

My opinion, him dying is very bad news for the Sox and the rest of MLB.
As long as Cashman is running the show and picking their players they will continue to win.
Just look when George was suspended.
Cashman built their farm system and those players who came up from that farm system were the reason they won all the recent world series.
George started messing with the team again and signing every guy/bust like Giambi, Kevin Brown and others

Actually, it was Stick Michael and Bob Watson who put together the great run of 90s WS winning teams, not Cashman. Cashman wasn't hired until after the 2000 WS.

The 90s teams were a good mix of home-grown talent (Jeter, Bernie Williams, Posada, Mariano, Pettite) and smart trades (Paul O'Neil, Tino Martinez) and role players, mostly bullpen set-up men, like Graham Lloyd. Clemens was the only real big-name free agent they threw good money at.

Yankee fans were ready to write Cashman off as George's puppet until last year. Cashman started the trend back towards overpaid big-name free agents like Giambi and Sheffield--and even A-Rod never really panned out in the post season until last year.