View Full Version : Help me understand something

tattoobob
07-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Question; 3 guys fishing, all using the same rods basically the same reels, all using Eels, same slow retrieve, casting in the same spot.

Why then does one guy catch 6/7 fish guy 2 catch 2 fish and guy 3 catch nothing?

PRBuzz
07-14-2010, 07:29 PM
tattobob was obviously guy #3!:biglaugh:

tattoobob
07-14-2010, 07:30 PM
No I was guy #2

good2hook
07-14-2010, 07:37 PM
i used to fish a lot on Toms boat(squidhoundjones). We would be into breaking fish, he would catch the bass' and i'd catch blue fish. I turned to him and asked him on a trip a long time ago, how come you're catching bass and i can't? All i'm catching are blue fish. He turns to me as he's on again and said, i'm targeting stripers, i don't want to catch blue fish:smash:.

I went fishing with Rick and my cousin Gilly a while back, all throwing eels, same spot, all between a few feet of each other they caught bass and all i caught was a huge dogfish.:confused:

I feel your pain:wall:

GattaFish
07-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Guy # 1 was centered on a sweet spot and the other two guys were on the outer edge.. Possibly structure or some type of underwater disturbance that was good for holding bass just a few feet away from you guys,,,

MrHunters
07-14-2010, 07:43 PM
striper eau de toilette

SurfCaster413
07-14-2010, 07:45 PM
you where just missing the sweet spot by a few feet thats all, should have crowded number 1 some more lol

JamesJet
07-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Scent or structure. Did one pump gas before or smoke cigs, bugspray? Could also be structure as described, underwater eddies and currents can be very specific and one could be pulling bait into a spot and just past it it pulls it out just as fast.
Also I know you said same reel same retrieve but were you all hooking the eel same way, same exact line which can get a bait down a little deeper?
In the end I think its luck or structure - but at least I offered a few other "scientific" thoughts.

O.D. Mike
07-14-2010, 08:20 PM
tattobob was obviously guy #3!:biglaugh:

:rotf2::rotf2::rotf2:

ivanputski
07-14-2010, 09:01 PM
theres slow retrieve with eels, and then there's SLOWER... Also, I have seen some guys cast an eel, and start their slow retrieve almost immediately, without waiting until the eel sinks or swims to the bottom first... their retrieve is in the mid-upper column without even realizing it...

Or its just luck. every dog has his day

Slipknot
07-14-2010, 09:54 PM
guy 1 is definately set up in the sweet spot after some current sweeping by some rocks, guy 2 smokes, guy 3 is too far away from sweet spot where the bass are set up

Slingah
07-14-2010, 10:05 PM
you will never know...don't even try and figure it out....quit smoking and cast closer to the guy getting all the good fish :)

Slipknot
07-14-2010, 10:20 PM
i used to fish a lot on Toms boat(squidhoundjones). We would be into breaking fish, he would catch the bass' and i'd catch blue fish. I turned to him and asked him on a trip a long time ago, how come you're catching bass and i can't? All i'm catching are blue fish. He turns to me as he's on again and said, i'm targeting stripers, i don't want to catch blue fish:smash:.

I went fishing with Rick and my cousin Gilly a while back, all throwing eels, same spot, all between a few feet of each other they caught bass and all i caught was a huge dogfish.:confused:

I feel your pain:wall:

you fished your plugs too fast

you fished your eel too slow

Tagger
07-15-2010, 03:53 AM
happens all the time at the canal ... one guy is set up better in the rip /structure .. the guy outside the rip might as well be home .

numbskull
07-15-2010, 04:58 AM
Question; 3 guys fishing, all using the same rods basically the same reels, all using Eels, same slow retrieve, casting in the same spot.

Why then does one guy catch 6/7 fish guy 2 catch 2 fish and guy 3 catch nothing?

Silly question. Everyone knows what you catch reflects the size of your genitalia. In this case guy # 3 has obviously been married longer than the others,................... and is probably from Franklin to boot.

bassballer
07-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Only thing to do in that situation is roll up behind guy#1 and cast over his back and make him feel uncomfortable until he moves.

redlite
07-15-2010, 08:27 AM
This scenario has a scientific name, it is called" Gettin' Dan'd".......

Rockfish9
07-15-2010, 08:28 AM
There is alot of fire in the water right now, and to be consistanly sucessfull, you must adapt the percieved way you fish....leader size matters, line size matters... and as others have said... retrieve matters... everything is not always as it seems... size of the eel matters as well, a slower, pause and retrieve has been outfishing conventional methods, half dead eels ( beat silly) are outfishing lively ones, most strikes are barely perceptible, in most cases a controlled drift is best, almost like nymph fishing for trout....

The Dad Fisherman
07-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Easy Fix....fish alone :hee:

JohnnyD
07-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Silly question. Everyone knows what you catch reflects the size of your genitalia. In this case guy # 3 has obviously been married longer than the others,................... and is probably from Franklin to boot.

Now, I just moved to Franklin last week. Does that mean I have to become exclusively an eel fisherman?

Bronko
07-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Now, I just moved to Franklin last week. Does that mean I have to become exclusively an eel fisherman?

Nope, but you should contemplate pissing your wetsuit.

redlite
07-15-2010, 09:05 AM

If you wanna catch fish, move out......
Tbag moved....He's have a banner year slammin fish.....
Mike stayed.......Couldn't catch a cold......
RUN.

Steve K
07-15-2010, 09:19 AM
theres slow retrieve with eels, and then there's SLOWER... Also, I have seen some guys cast an eel, and start their slow retrieve almost immediately, without waiting until the eel sinks or swims to the bottom first... their retrieve is in the mid-upper column without even realizing it...

Completely agree.

Back Beach
07-15-2010, 09:30 AM

No, but I need a new bitch to wake me up at midnight and take me surf fishing a couple times a week. Since TO moved away last fall my fishing career has become a steaming turd.

Fill out an online application and get it to me asap...so far there's no waiting list and I'll waive the fee....

JohnnyD
07-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Nope, but you should contemplate pissing your wetsuit.
Too late, I already do.

No, but I need a new bitch to wake me up at midnight and take me surf fishing a couple times a week. Since TO moved away last fall my fishing career has become a steaming turd.

Fill out an online application and get it to me asap...so far there's no waiting list and I'll waive the fee....

Bob (Makai) speaks highly of you, so I'll consider it.

Back Beach
07-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Too late, I already do.

Bob (Makai) speaks highly of you, so I'll consider it.

Bob's the man... need to lower yourself by associating with a clod like me when you already have Bob in your corner.

FishermanTim
07-15-2010, 10:15 AM
If the 3 guys were set up along a shoreline (beach or canal) like this:

#1 #2 #3
:fishin: :fishin: :fishin:

and the fish / current was moving in this direction: ->

Then it may just be a case of #1 gets first crack at a fish, or small pod of fish. #2 gets a shot at the ones that weren't spooked by the one caught by #1, and #3 gets nothing because the rest of the pod was spooked by #2.

Then again, it could be just plain bad luck.:grins::grins::grins::grins:

MAKAI
07-15-2010, 10:18 AM

Obviously #3 is an unrepentant sinner.:devil2:

tysdad115
07-15-2010, 11:02 AM
"Guy 3" shall be known as Andy from now on, its my bad karma rearing its ugly head.

DZ
07-15-2010, 11:47 AM

Bob,
If guy #1 does this consistently I'd say he'll outfish others 9 out of 10 trips. He knows what he's doing and he's not telling.

DZ

tattoobob
07-15-2010, 12:07 PM
any ting board worthy for you 3 out there, Bob?

Sorry to say No

redlite
07-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Bob,
If guy #1 does this consistently I'd say he'll outfish others 9 out of 10 trips. He knows what he's doing and he's not telling.

DZ

:devil:

bassballer
07-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Bob,

DZ

Because Dennis is usually guy#1:)

Back Beach
07-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Guy #1 pees in his wetsuit.

bassballer
07-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Guy #1 pees in his wetsuit.

who doesnt?

Back Beach
07-15-2010, 02:29 PM
who doesnt?

Guy #3, which would be me and coincidentally, catches nothing.

However, I might have learned something in this thread about the fish attracting qualities of human urine...just not my own.

Maybe berkeley can come up with a redlite scented gulp? You'd have to wear a hazmat outfit if you used the stuff, but it would fit right over your wetsuit.

Saltheart
07-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Guy 1 has every bit if his concetration on his eel , is moving it along in a way he can feel everything its touching or being touched by and is never missing even the slightest bit of interest by his targeted fish.

Guy 2 is is tired from working all day . he's thinking about what time he'll get home and if his boss will be on his back at work the next day and about the wife nagging about him going fishing again. Every now and then when Guy1 catches a fish , he concentrates for a few minutes and gets one too.

Guy 3 has the rod handle under his armpit and is retrieving using the hand on the arm with the rod under his armpit. He's got his other hand in his pocket playing with himself and couldn't care less about the fish , in fact he's damned put out he has to hold the stupid rod just so guys 1+2 won't know he's playing pocket pool. :)

But seriously , guy 1 is probably fishing at a much higher level of mental intensity.

JFigliuolo
07-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Guy 3 has the rod handle under his armpit and is retrieving using the hand on the arm with the rod under his armpit. He's got his other hand in his pocket playing with himself and couldn't care less about the fish , in fact he's damned put out he has to hold the stupid rod just so guys 1+2 won't know he's playing pocket pool. :)

Well Done!!! That right there is funny.:rotf2:

redlite
07-15-2010, 04:12 PM
But seriously , guy 1 is probably fishing at a much higher level of mental intensity.

So This is why Back Beach is always asking guys fishin around us if he can play an away game at their place........

I am always thinking about sex while fishin' and thinkin about fishin' while havin sex......Rarely focused on the right thing but it all seems to work out for me.

afterhours
07-15-2010, 04:29 PM
the way i heard it guy #2 caught the largest fish....

tattoobob
07-15-2010, 04:31 PM
That is the truth Don

JohnR
07-15-2010, 04:56 PM
#2 Got the largest, number 3 is looking for his mojo, and #1 was singing and being the wingman.

Bob - dunno but I was letting the eel drop for a few seconds before starting the retrieve. Besides, the fish were small.

I did get HAMMERED by one fish that slammed the eel before it took with it towards Bermuda :wall:

And I did pee in the wetsuit :rotf2:

tattoobob
07-15-2010, 05:07 PM
I just couldn't do it, but I'm sure it will happen soon

Good time John Lets do it again before I have to start work

redlite
07-15-2010, 05:41 PM
I have spend so much time in my wetsuit lately that I almost peed my pants sitting half asleep at my desk at work today. No word of lie. Just so used to lettin 'er rip when i gots to go.......

Slipknot
07-15-2010, 06:33 PM
I have spend so much time in my wetsuit lately that I almost peed my pants sitting half asleep at my desk at work today. No word of lie. Just so used to lettin 'er rip when i gots to go.......

you have a serious problem

I know how you can fix this but I cannot divulge

you seem to be getting things all backwards from lack of sleep, there is a cure

ProfessorM
07-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Time to buy some depends Mike.

JoeBass
07-16-2010, 08:38 AM
About 2 years ago I stood next to my bud surfcasting a beach with the same basic set up and same bait. I kid you not, I caught 11 stripers, he caught 1. (they weren't big). The main difference? I was getting out 20 feet further with each cast. After awhile i offered my rod. He told me to GFM. LOL.

spinncognito
07-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Interesting thread.
A coupla questions:

If #1 does "#1" in his wetsuit, does #2 do "#2" in his?

Does #3 do both "#1" and "#2" in his wetsuit?

I do know this- I will never buy a used wetsuit from anyone on this sit... :wall:

PaulS
07-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Numerous reasons (besides Salthearts :rotf2:) including structure, weeds, presentation, speed of retreive and casting distance.

tattoobob
07-16-2010, 11:03 AM
I have come to the conclusion that it is because #1 was singing to himself

Saltheart
07-16-2010, 12:54 PM

No to the fish. Don't tell me you don't sing to the fish?? No wonder you're not catching anything! That's basic!!

The Dad Fisherman
07-16-2010, 01:07 PM

So Pink Floyd is the Secret to great surfcasting......