View Full Version : A surprising Garden find

gldnbear93
07-18-2010, 02:33 PM
I was out looking over the tomatos and peppers this morning and heard a rustle in the lillies and found this.

He eventualy got it down after about a half hour. He had a hard time getting past those front legs. He worked the top of his mouth over a leg and backed up and worked it over and backed up untill the right front let got past the corner of his mouth, then he swallowed the head and ended with the left front leg.

I got about a half hour of video of it all happening. It was a neat find after coming back from vacation.

PRBuzz
07-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Dumb snake: suppose to eat head first!

spence
07-18-2010, 04:46 PM
I had a Nothern Water Snake I kept for a while as a kid. One day he tried to eat the frog I gave him from one of the legs. That poor frog made the worst noises...

Took the snake an hour to figure things out and go head first.

Do you have any other pics? I can't ID from that one.

-spence

gldnbear93
07-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Two other pics attached.

The snake is about 18-20" long, cream belly, dark grey and turquoise/teal reticulation with black stripes on the upper sides and a yellow stripe along the back.
I think this one is a fairly young snake.

spence
07-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Ahh, an Eastern Garter snake. Needed the stripe on the back and the side to confirm.

Found a decent size water snake in the yard a few weeks ago, good looking snake. I hope the local cats didn't kill it.

-spence

Raven
07-19-2010, 05:28 AM
i separated a pair like that once...
as i value the toad's life more than the snakes
necessity to have it as it's next meal :doh: