View Full Version : A disease or a weakness ?

MAKAI
07-20-2010, 08:31 AM
O.K. I'm bad.
I broke down, and in a moment of unbridled weakness I bought a couple of "Magic swimmers " ( magic how the money just "poof it's gone ". Doubled up on 150# spro split rings, upgraded to 4X vmcs.
I'm sure they will end up living the rest of their lives at the bottom of the ditch.
But before they do, how deep do they tend to swim and do the rise up or dig down on a fast retrieve.
Also is there a Plugaholics anonymous meeting near by.:confused:

RIJIMMY
07-20-2010, 08:36 AM
* off topic*
is it me or are more and more salt water lures just copying off old Large Mouth lures? those look just like old bagley swimmers.

tysdad115
07-20-2010, 08:45 AM
If there is a plugaholics group let me know. I also purchased several of these "must have,everyone is using these and doing great". The action on them is good, I have altered my retrieve but still haven't caught anything. Good question is how should they be brought in? I tried bumping, tugging slow the fast retrieve. Anyone had luck with these? What is the best way to retrieve?

fishbones
07-20-2010, 09:33 AM
O.K. I'm bad.
I broke down, and in a moment of unbridled weakness I bought a couple of "Magic swimmers " ( magic how the money just "poof it's gone ". Doubled up on 150# spro split rings, upgraded to 4X vmcs.
I'm sure they will end up living the rest of their lives at the bottom of the ditch.
But before they do, how deep do they tend to swim and do the rise up or dig down on a fast retrieve.
Also is there a Plugaholics anonymous meeting near by.:confused:

Drop them off at my house and I'll take em' with me tomorrow morning to test them. I'll report back to you by noon with the results on how they work.

FishermanTim
07-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Remember.....lures are designed to catch 2 things: fish and fishermen, but not always in that order.

I would say that they are "variations on a theme" more than copies, but for them to insinuate that they are a "NEW" lure on the market is BS.
It would only be NEW if it were a COMPLETELY different type of lure, not just a variation of an existing one.

massgc
07-20-2010, 12:53 PM
As PT Barnum said and yes I'm just as bad.

Raven
07-20-2010, 12:58 PM
a weakness that has become a disease....

kinda like these women that are compulsive shoppers for shoes

no offense meant on the comparison

i have this disease

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-20-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't like the smaller one at all. And I fish the 2 front 2 hooks on the big one. Is that big perch a floater? If it is just toss it into a rip and let the current swim the plug. Every 5 or 10 seconds slowly lift the rod tip up and back down with no slack. I have a caught a ton of fish on that big floating perch including a couple 30# class fish. Don't give up on the retrieve either because decent fish will hit the plug 3 feet from the rocks while floating in a rip.

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-20-2010, 02:01 PM
I have been using 1 rosco with a 4x on the front 2 hooks and a split ring on the nose.

FishermanTim
07-20-2010, 02:06 PM
a weakness that has become a disease....

kinda like these women that are compulsive shoppers for shoes

no offense meant on the comparison

i have this disease

You buy a lot of shoes?:biglaugh:

Dad 818
07-20-2010, 02:19 PM
You buy a lot of shoes?:biglaugh:

Beat me to it. :rotf2:

bloocrab
07-20-2010, 09:51 PM
They have incredible swimming action. Pretty close to the real thing imo.

They're not really slow sinkers,,, <again, imo, but I swim them fairly slow>..and unless you're fishing the shallows...adjustments can be made to keep them up.
I do find it a little awkward to cast and due to the $$$, I'm too afraid to load the wand in fear of it sailing off into the abyss...Raising the rod tip on your retrieve will keep or get them up, and NO, it won't dive on a fast retrieve,, no lip.
I don't swim it too fast, a sudden jerk here and there to mimic a darting bait fish, but overall a slow retrieve, may mix up speed sometimes to invoke a strike though...and like stated above, in a moving current...let it ride the rip with an occasional sudden but short jerk as if the fish is darting after a tiny bait fish or simply breaking it's hold of the current flow with the occasional turn of the handle...when you stop the handle is when you'll get the attack ;)

I like em...:huh:, can't say I'll be loading up on em' though $$$...also going to wait for the original hooks to rust up before I change em.
HappyHunting

ivanputski
07-20-2010, 10:09 PM
I got a free one when I renewed my subscription to OTW this winter at a show...
Havent used it much though... It just feels like it was designed to be lost by the 3rd cast... and for some stupid reason too...

ripitsik
07-21-2010, 11:08 AM
check out Storm Kickin' Sticks... somewhat the same as the sebile's. Ive heard that guys find them really different but I don't think so. 15 bux each. They are lighter than the bigger sebile's but I find them much easier to cast and lean into the cast a little more than the bigger magic swimmers

cow tamer
07-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Plugaholics meeting sounds good.
Maybe we can even do some buy/sell/trade while we're there.