View Full Version : Deck Project

MarshCappa
07-21-2010, 07:11 AM
I spaced on taking before pics but trust me when I say this deck was completely covered with black mold. 2 days of hard work on one of the freakin hottest weekends and 1 hour last night and it's done! I even sacrificed some feeling in my left pointer finger which is still semi-asleep at the tip!

PRBuzz
07-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Really nice, I like the natural wood look. Did you power wash with chemicals?

Now you want to come and do mine?:rotf2:

Raven
07-21-2010, 07:22 AM
are you sealing it?

and whats the do0-hicky box contraption

something fer bugs i'd imagine

SurfCaster413
07-21-2010, 07:44 AM
Wow that came out great I bet you feel great about a job well done

ecduzitgood
07-21-2010, 07:57 AM
Looks good!!.....even with the do hicky candle box thingy;)

tattoobob
07-21-2010, 08:06 AM
WOW looks great, I have to do mine

luds
07-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Yeah, looks awsome. How did you do it. Mine is in need of some serious cleaning!!!!

MarshCappa
07-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys and it is a great feeling when your hard work results in something nice. Day 1 consisted of just straight on power washing with good ole H2O, no chemicals. The mold peeled right off. Took about 8 hours with a couple of AC breaks and hydration. Day 2 was the staining process. I used Olympic Cedar Naturaltone tinted waterproofer/sealant. It didn't spray well out of the pump sprayer so I brushed it by hand. I was spent on Sunday cuz of the heat so I had to finish it last night after work. I'm pretty happy and I love spending time out there. I wasn't proud of it before and got sick of looking at the mold so I finally got off my arse and did something about it. Here's the link to the product info: Good Stuff but not cheap $30 a gallon! It took a little over 4 gallons.

http://www.olympic.com/stain/Find_Products/toner_maximum.aspx

justplugit
07-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Beautiful work!
It will hold up better too, being you brushed it in rather than spray it on. :)

Slingah
07-21-2010, 03:54 PM
looking good Cap.....
Next time try some chemicals.....then you only have to rinse with washer.....mucho easier

nightfighter
07-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Looks good. Keep up with the maintenance yearly and it will last a long time... As opposed to the job we're doing now. 700 sq ft deck. <2 ft off the ground. One end sagged. They wanted to just resurface with composite. Instead, they are getting new deck, as the frame was rotted and not supported. I'll post shots tomorrow.

But here are a few of a new deck we recently completed in Beverly. Used ipe or ironwood for the decking.

basswipe
07-21-2010, 04:37 PM
looking good Cap.....
Next time try some chemicals.....then you only have to rinse with washer.....mucho easier

Can't beat Jomax and bleach.There's a reason these two as a combo have been around forever.Then powerwash.

Powerwashing only with water invites the mold problem to come back sooner than later regardless of the stain/sealer.Looks good now but he'll be doing it again much sooner than he thinks.

Slingah
07-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Can't beat Jomax and bleach.There's a reason these two as a combo have been around forever.Then powerwash.

Powerwashing only with water invites the mold problem to come back sooner than later regardless of the stain/sealer.Looks good now but he'll be doing it again much sooner than he thinks.

I use the Jomax/Bleach combo a lot....but for anything stubborn or really black I use 12% sodium hypochlorite (liquid pool shock). Make a dilution of 60% water/40% hypochlorite and add 6oz per gallon of TSP . Magic.....just be careful of plants/vegetation.

MarshCappa
07-21-2010, 07:31 PM
I use the Jomax/Bleach combo a lot....but for anything stubborn or really black I use 12% sodium hypochlorite (liquid pool shock). Make a dilution of 60% water/40% hypochlorite and add 6oz per gallon of TSP . Magic.....just be careful of plants/vegetation.

What about small animals and children?:rotf2:

buckman
07-23-2010, 05:23 PM
What about small animals and children?:rotf2:

Just use bleach and Joe Max....they usually clean up real good:rotf2: