View Full Version : Boca Bearings

Bliz
03-13-2003, 01:59 PM
Has anyone ever tried these on a conventional ABU Reel to increase casting distance?...

More importantly, ...

Do they work?...

I'm looking to purchase some for an ABU 7000cs ProRocket Reel, and was wondering if this was a good investment.

JohnR
03-13-2003, 02:15 PM
Don - I have some ceramics in a Mag E and some Boca 7s in a 6500CL . They're great. But I would not worry about them right away if you are learning conventional. Sure, get the Smoothie drag updates but don't worry about the upgraded bearings...

Bliz
03-13-2003, 03:20 PM
I fish conventional, and have for awhile...

I am looking to learn technique to be able to go for more distance in my casting.

The ABU reel I want to pick up is great for distance from what I hear, but I was wondering if the bearings would improve casting even more... ???

Bliz
03-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Outside of casting distance, is there any difference in the CL vs the CS verions of those reels?...

Bliz
03-13-2003, 03:23 PM
The 6500's that you are using that is...

Fishpart
03-13-2003, 05:00 PM
CL has a levelwind. That is what cuts the distance down some. I feel a levelwind is well worth the little distance you lose over leveling the line by hand.

Bliz
03-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Does the ABU 7000CS ProRocket have the levelwinder?

I was thinking of putting one on to the 1265 Allstar Saltheart is building for me...

I want to add the bearing package & smoothies to it as well as some rocket fuel...

I am looking to increase distance for the Surf this year...

JohnR
03-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Oh - in that case, yeas & yes :) - you will likely get some more distance.....

CS reels are usually Levelwinds if I remember right and CTs are usually non-levelwind. The CL just designates a Big Game and not relevant to CS or CT :D

Bliz
03-14-2003, 07:28 AM
Thanks John!

You told me exactly what I wanted to hear!:D

Hopefully within a week or two, I'll have picked up the reel and have had it modified...

Are there any other tricks to maximizing conventionals?...

Or, am I gonna have to wait for Big Dave's Clinic to find out?...:happy:

DaveS
03-14-2003, 09:11 AM
Guess who just found an Abu 6500 c3ct mag elite-no levelwind/green? I'll give ya 2 guess'?:happy:

JohnR
03-14-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by DaveS
Guess who just found an Abu 6500 c3ct mag elite-no levelwind/green? I'll give ya 2 guess'?:happy:

That's OK - guess who just got a 5500 Green to compliment it's bigger brother :D ??
:happy:

Bliz
03-14-2003, 10:01 AM
Dave, you're the man who can answer this...

Can you tell me what other modifications can I make to the reel I mentioned above in order to maximize the distance for casting?...

I am really looking forward to your Seminar on conventionals!

Thank you so much for your generosity in helping others to learn from the Pro's like yourself!:D

JohnR
03-14-2003, 10:25 AM
I am really looking forward to your Seminar on conventionals!

Thank you so much for your generosity in helping others to learn from the Pro's like yourself! Wrong Dave :eek5: DaveS ain't so big standing shoulder to shoulder with "Big Dave: :D

tobias
03-14-2003, 10:26 AM
Hey Don - Wrong Dave above.

For modifications, the 5500 and 6500 have a lot of modifications you can add, a bearing levelwind to the levelwind, stainless steel high speed gears, power handle, ceramic or abec-7 bearings, and smoothie drags to name a few.

If you go with the 7000 series reels there are fewer modifications. You can change out the gears, change the drag and have an adjustable mag installed.

I love my Abus but I picked up a 525mag to play with.:D

Bliz
03-14-2003, 10:33 AM
"Would the real Big Dave please stand up!"...

DaveS
03-14-2003, 10:48 AM
I am Big Dave!!!!:D At least I think so?:confused: Anyway, U might be thinking of that guy that is gonna have a casting clinic for the SB.com guys, but I fish conventional 95% of the time I fish, and have been for about 22 years now and can throw a mean cast myself:D . The guy U wanna ask about modifications to an ABU is over on the SOL board, GranpaOldspook, he did an article on it several years ago and it was right on the $$$$.
I like to polish the spindle ends of my spools with emory cloth to get any burrs off(makes em fast) and always use Rocket Fuel on my bearings. If ya want, you can goto ceramic bearings and also add some Extreme Smoothie drag washers, and you will be tweaked out to da' max.

Bliz
03-14-2003, 10:56 AM
Thanks fo rthe advice!

Do you know if the ceramic are as good as the Boca bearings?...

tobias
03-14-2003, 11:03 AM
Boca makes the ceramic bearings.

Bliz
03-14-2003, 11:05 AM
Isn't there a manufacturer out there who does the SS Bearings?...

DaveS
03-14-2003, 11:15 AM
Let me dig up some #'s and I'll get back to ya.

JohnR
03-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Bocca makes the ceramics and the regular 3 thru 7s

Check with MikeCC at CapeCodTackle.com - last year he had the 7s and the ceramics... Not sure if weekapaug has them anymore...

Fishaddict
03-14-2003, 11:20 AM
If you go to hatterasoutfitters.com and look for their "reel candy", you will find a few modification toys... I have two of the 7000 CS Rockets and love them for jigging the canal. You don't get the distance you will with one of the 6500 CT or CS Mags, or that wonderful Blue Yonder, but it will more than put you into the middle of the Ditch..Besides, if you speed the 7000s up too much with those ceramics and abec 7s, you'll just end up having to slow it down with oil or brake blocks to keep it under control.
Good luck
Bob

DaveS
03-14-2003, 11:26 AM
LOL, I was just gonna post that link for him, ya beat me to it.
Hatteras Outfitters (http://www.hatterasoutfitters.com/)

Bliz
03-14-2003, 11:31 AM
Is the 6500CS Rocket in the same class you had just mentioned for distance?..

BasicPatrick
03-14-2003, 11:33 AM
For what its worth Mike White and the boys from Hatteras Jack Outfitters will be up from the outer banks and in attendance at the MSBA Show. I am no expert on this stuff but in a recent conversation I had with the Factory Rep from Abu, he told me that Hatteras jack carries some specialty items and reels that he can not get as they come from Austrailia and Europe. Also, I know a couple of their employees are highliners on the international casting competition scene. Just another reason to go to the MSBA Show.

JohnR
03-14-2003, 11:46 AM
Hey Patrick - a lot of us already have those tricked out Aussie Reels :D

DaveS
03-14-2003, 11:51 AM
You betcha:D .

Fishaddict
03-14-2003, 04:20 PM
You mean like that pretty lil Orange 6500 Fla Surf Special sitting on the shelf next to all those other funny colored Abus???:D :D :D

Big Dave
03-14-2003, 04:32 PM
Hi Don

If you can hold off on having your reel done wait until the seminar. I will be transforming a Brand new stock out of the box ABU 6500 CTC3 into a tournament reel. We can all try and cast after the classroom session. Plus I am going to cover others reels as well.

I am also going to bring a Varity of rods for show and tell as well as casting.

As for Boca they are a good company to do business with. But they are not the only one.

As for the seminar it’s going to be a core dump of information. My suggestions to all that attend should be prepared to take notes. I will also post it on the Seminar Thread.

Don If you want we can work on your reel that day. That way you know what’s been done, and you know exactly how.

Regards Big Dave

SeaWolf
03-14-2003, 04:43 PM
fishaddict said it right, the more bennies you put into one of those reels may mean more thumb sores or slowing down a faster reel. but, i don't see any great FISHING advantage to using those type bearings. casting in tournaments, maybe. more is gained by properly tuning and oiling your bearings, even stock ones. if you gain speed in tuning your reel, you just gained my tlc needed to keep that reel fast. so, there's a balance between being fast and being fishable. you need to decide where you want to be. i'm sure dave will have a great class. also, there are so many other factors to gaining distance, such as rods, loading, and lures.

Fishaddict
03-14-2003, 04:47 PM
I didn't get in early enough to make the list for Dave's first class, but am very much looking forward to attending the second class if it ever comes to be.. Have been reading Dave's posts on this board and others for about a year now, and he has just so much knowledge on the subject... Thank you for sharing it with us Dave.. I look foward to meeting you some day..
Bob