View Full Version : keeping eels?

american spirit
07-22-2010, 11:12 AM
you think 5 pounds of eels could stay alive in a 5 gallon bucket with an air pump supplying oxygen and changing the water everyday?

i notice that the noses of mine all rot away after 2 weeks

tattoobob
07-22-2010, 11:17 AM
No, over crowding is a sure death

The Dad Fisherman
07-22-2010, 11:31 AM
How many eels in 5 lbs?

I've kept a dozen alive for 3 weeks using the 3 bucket system....

Rockfish9
07-22-2010, 11:35 AM
No, over crowding is a sure death

Absolutly, that's way too many in a 5 gallon bucket.... you'll have better sucess with a conatiner with more surface area.... the cheap rubber maid 20 or 3 gallon tubs work great for bait storage...

Circlehook
07-22-2010, 11:38 AM
I use a 30 Gallon rubbermaid tote, with (2) Aquaclear 20 powerheads. Change 5 gallons of water every 3 or 4 days. good for a couple dozen eels.

Fly Rod
07-22-2010, 11:57 AM
I use a fish tote with a plywood cover with a fish tank air pump.

Make sure if using fish tote that it is covered or you will be missing eels.

JLH
07-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Earlier this year I setup a 20 gallon tote in the basement with a good sized fish tank pump (for ~50 gal tanks) and have been able to keep 1-2 dozen alive for weeks with no problems changing the water every few days.

One question on water… are you guys using tap water or sea water? I’ve been tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g down to the salt pond with buckets to get sea water which works great but tap would be much easier.

t.orlando
07-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Earlier this year I setup a 20 gallon tote in the basement with a good sized fish tank pump (for ~50 gal tanks) and have been able to keep 1-2 dozen alive for weeks with no problems changing the water every few days.

One question on water… are you guys using tap water or sea water? I’ve been tr#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g down to the salt pond with buckets to get sea water which works great but tap would be much easier.

I have always just used tap water.

Circlehook
07-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Tap water. I keep mine under the basement stairs and it keeps the water nice and cool.

JLH
07-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks I'll switch the next batch over to tap water.

stripermaineiac
07-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Carefull of chlorinated water. Lynn has some of the worst. Kills eels quick.

TPrete
07-22-2010, 08:14 PM
for extended time, (constant supply during the season) does anyone feed their eels ?

Thumper
07-23-2010, 12:11 AM
for extended time, (constant supply during the season) does anyone feed their eels ?

I give mine fish food every once and a while to keep them happy. Just make sure to change the water later that day because the food and eels make it pretty nasty
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
07-24-2010, 02:57 AM

I do. I feed them freeze dryed krill. I have keep 2 dozen eels for a month in my tank feeding them once a week. You have to change the water within 24 hours because the chit it all up.

Peterjay
07-24-2010, 11:34 AM
I used to keep shiners and occasionally eels in a couple of old cast-iron bathtubs with aquarium filters and aerators. Anything smaller and you're committed to constant water changes. Also bear in mind that eels can escape from virtually any setup, and if one of them crawls into a nook and dies, you'll be lucky to get rid of the smell in a year. I used to work in a bait shop, and when that happened, there were days that I could barely keep from puking.

dannyplug1
07-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Quick question is it better to have an air stone or is it ok to just run the bubler tube through a sinker eye to hold it on the bottom? Will a air stone produce more oxygen for the eels or is a bubbler stone for looks? I would think it would not matter as the same ammount of oxygen is being sent by the pump no matter if you use a stone or use a sinker to hold the air tube on the bottom of the tank. Thanks for your help I was very bad in science. Charlie

Thumper
07-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Charlie just go with an airstone there only a couple bucks. They do add more oxgyen to the water but other than that the bubbles they create break up the surface so a film can't form.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

dannyplug1
07-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Will purchase two one for each tank on Monday. Am going to Cuttyhunk in the morning. The water over there is warm but its cooler than the mainland. Are there different types of stones What should I be looking for? thanks

Thumper
07-25-2010, 05:45 PM
no i dont think so just different sizes. i have 2 6in air stones that are blue. the stones will be right near the pumps in the pet stores.