View Full Version : Oh yeah....Casting eggs!

nightfighter
07-26-2010, 06:05 AM
While the mack fishing has been unbelievably good, the topwater action has been humbling. It has usually been around the harbor mouth or inside, where bass and birds are crushing schools of juvenile herring. The fly guys have been doing well. The spinning crowd has been frustrated in getting the right rubber to match the hatch. I have more than a dozen hanging off a pool noodle on my windshield that I rotate through trying to find what will work.

But yesterday I pulled out a Salty casting egg and a fly on a longer leader. Hooked up consistently from a distance, which gave me an advantage over the fly crowd with the wind. Wish I had thought of this a couple weeks ago.... Hope this helps some others who have been in the same position.

JohnR
07-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Ahhh, the much maligned, often overlooked casting egg ;)

Thumper
07-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Ahhh, the much maligned, often overlooked casting egg ;)

Always forget about thoes and how effective they can be.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

UserRemoved1
07-26-2010, 07:42 AM
What's a casting egg :spam:
Glad you like them Ross

http://www.#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.com/images/castingeggs.jpg

:happy:

kenyee
07-26-2010, 08:47 AM
dum question, but what are the nails for?

JamesJet
07-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Salty uses old scrap wood so they are ful of nails - Just kidding,

Actually you can sort of "hang" your fly on the nail and it will help with casting and not getting all hung up. When the small sand eels are around and thats all bass are keying on I use this setup. In fact I heard there is a krill bite that happens every summer and I may try these for that too.:uhuh:

You can also use an old popper with similar effect.

UserRemoved1
07-26-2010, 09:17 AM
hang the fly on while you cast it, when it hits the water it falls off.

DZ
07-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Funny how old stuff comes back. Over the years I've used homemade eggs to deliver: buck tails and pork rind, feathered hooks, red gills, dead eels, and sandworms. Very good for presenting heavy items into shallow boulder fields. I've not used Salty's casting eggs but I'm sure they maintain the excellent quality of all his products.

DZ

BasicPatrick
07-26-2010, 10:10 AM
I like using a finished quality egg such as the Booger's as opposed to a craft store home made job because on a long day the unfishished one's water log and do not ride as high and in at least on case went subsurface on me

I use eggs a lot in the fall

I lost and original Habs years ago that I still cry about

luds
07-26-2010, 10:10 AM
I really don't like that kind of fishing and don't do it myself but it's undeniable that it works when just about all other methods won't and that even includes storm shads. A few years back I made some trips to South County in early spring and it seemed like that really was the only way to conistantly hook up. Shads and topwater worked some but small jigs or flies and a casting egg were the way to go to consistantly hook up.

UserRemoved1
07-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Clams work pretty good on them too as do the small sluggos/redgills.

Dennis I found that about 7-8 years ago in the book "How to fish for striped bass" by Jerry Sylvester.

I do quite a few of those every year and they've caught fish all over the world. Simple and economical. I'm amazed at every show how many people have never heard of it. Once you tell them and they try it they come back for more.

RIROCKHOUND
07-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Funny how old stuff comes back. Over the years I've used homemade eggs to deliver: dead eels,
DZ

interesting.....

Nebe
07-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Clams work pretty good on them too as do the small sluggos/redgills.

Dennis I found that about 7-8 years ago in the book "How to fish for striped bass" by Jerry Sylvester.

I do quite a few of those every year and they've caught fish all over the world. Simple and economical. I'm amazed at every show how many people have never heard of it. Once you tell them and they try it they come back for more.

the book was called "salt water fishing is easy" by Jerry Sylvester

He called his eggs 'sylvester wood' and supposedly, he invented this technique for working the whitewater off the end of the cobble bars in matunuck RI. A place where he eventually had a heart attack and died while fishing- Someone stole his wallet on the beach after he died.. supposedly.

Sea Dangles
07-26-2010, 12:58 PM
money belt

UserRemoved1
07-26-2010, 03:46 PM
You got a better memory than me nebe. I copied the pages on this back then, who knows where they are now :smash:

the book was called "salt water fishing is easy" by Jerry Sylvester

He called his eggs 'sylvester wood' and supposedly, he invented this technique for working the whitewater off the end of the cobble bars in matunuck RI. A place where he eventually had a heart attack and died while fishing- Someone stole his wallet on the beach after he died.. supposedly.

Saltheart
07-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Sometimes you want a casting egg but sometimes you need a casting bubble. Know why and what the difference is? :)

Pete F.
07-26-2010, 05:07 PM
About two ounces

Backbeach Jake
07-26-2010, 05:56 PM
The first PlugFest that I ever attended I donated a coupla dozen eggs. The Rhody boys knew what they were. Most everyone else=?
Try them with a gob of seaworm sometime. Flip it out and let it drift. Flys, redgills, small Storms work the diggity bomb, too.

nightfighter
07-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Sometimes you want a casting egg but sometimes you need a casting bubble. Know why and what the difference is? :)

Bubble is water filled

MAKAI
07-26-2010, 10:45 PM
bubbles are killer:uhuh::fishin:

mrstriper
07-27-2010, 06:45 AM
Been trying eggs with teasers for some time...almost an annual article about them from dave pickering(SP)...need to add a brad to the eggs I made so I can get better distance...

DeadlyRichard
07-27-2010, 08:46 AM
I also read about 'em in an article by Dave Pickering. Swears by them for certain conditions. I ordered 2 from Salty, haven't had a chance to use them yet. The fact that the old RI surfcasters, like Jerry Sylvester, used 'em is good enough for me. Another tool for the arsenal and a link to the past of our sport. And besides, if I get tired of carrying them around, they will look great on my christmas tree!

UserRemoved1
08-01-2010, 04:18 AM
Yesterday I was walking around at the sw lure collectors show and I stop at a book rack of old books. What's sitting there but a hard copy "Saltwater Fishing is Easy" Jerry Sylvester book in pretty decent shape.

I open the front cover and it was signed in blue pen. Turn around and ask the guy how much he wants for it and he says $5 :jump1: Inside the book he signs the preface when it's printed and the signature match so it's real.

Also picked up Woolners book too....$5

Of interest in this thread is he originally recommended only a 18-20" leader from the hook to the egg.

Nebe
08-01-2010, 06:28 AM
Nice score scott
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

ridler72
08-01-2010, 02:20 PM
What's a casting egg :spam:
Glad you like them Ross

http://www.#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.com/images/castingeggs.jpg

:happy:

I'll be using these for those finicky Albies, Bones and hopefully Skippies come noontime sun.

Saltheart
08-01-2010, 05:46 PM
The bubble you do fill with water as ross said but you may or may not fill it full , half full , etc. You can adjust the boyancy to suit your needs by adjusting just how much water you put in it. It enables you to cast out something light and then have it sit on top like with an egg or sink. I think full they weigh about 2 to 3 OZ and can be adjusted to float , be nuetral boyancy or sink when in the water.