View Full Version : One & Done

Thumper
07-26-2010, 10:18 AM
There have been more than a few times where I will be fishing a spot and hook up and land one fish and that's it. I am sure this has happend to some of you guys, so why do you think this happens? Was that really just the only fish swimming by or holding in structure or did the hook up spook other fish? Did the current, wind and tide pick up or change & push them out? Maybe this fish was just pissed off seeing the same bait swim by and hit it out of aggression? I guess there could be a million possibilities as to why you only got one fish, so whata you guys think?

bassballer
07-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Happened to me friday night. Got to my rock, slapped on an eel,. Hooked up first cast, then nothing for the rest of night. I think its just a lonley ol bass cruising the area.

Raven
07-26-2010, 10:51 AM
maybe one out of a school
and the rest kept a goin

UserRemoved1
07-26-2010, 11:00 AM
commotion I think. fish distress call? I've never figured it out but have found a change of color will usually pull another bass out of the same area so alot of time they are still there.

angler229
07-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Happens all the time, I think it's just the one resident fish in the area. Usually my buddies and I are always rushing to see who can make the first cast in an area.

ivanputski
07-26-2010, 01:12 PM
all while trying to appear like you are not actually rushing...

angler229
07-26-2010, 02:00 PM
all while trying to appear like you are not actually rushing...

Nope we all know whats going on.

Nebe
07-26-2010, 02:12 PM
when your line tightens up, and the fish runs, the line makes a really loud screaming hum in the water. THere is no doubt in my mind that other fish hear it and split.

However, when the blitz is on and there is all sorts of commotion and your catching a lot of fish, it is because there is so much noise in the water, that the fishing line's sound is drowned out..

My underwater camera picks up these sounds..thats why I know this.

Pete F.
07-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
I like the screaming line idea. What could you do to avoid it?

Nebe
07-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
I like the screaming line idea. What could you do to avoid it?
Not sure how to avoid it...
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

SurfCaster413
07-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Way to many varibles to for this one but fish like to hunt for food. They lose out they move on. But if bait is in the area they stick around, but can become keyed on that bait.

bloocrab
07-26-2010, 10:34 PM
I've had that happen more times than I care to remember, the bigger the fish, the more it pains me.

Although I always find some one thing to blame it on while I'm out there, many things could have caused it to happen.

My "Short" list of excuses in no particular order:

1. Small group of fish out front, I hook up...commotion scares the rest off to a distant hump.

2. There's a very smart school of fish out there, I happened to catch the dumb one that night.

3. The one fish I released went back to the group and told them it was made of wood. They proceed to ignore any other artificial offerings.

4. I just don't have what they want tonight.,, I should have brought bait/eels.

5. That must have been the only fish within my entire casting radius. (In which case, I am that good that I was able to catch it :biglaugh: )

6. I arrived late, they were staged earlier in the tide...and I just caught the last hurrah of it.

7. I forgot the action that I used in catching the first fish...although I try like hell to repeat it, I know I'm just not doing it the same way.

8. I caught the "leader" of the pack. Upon releasing her, still feeling the soreness in the jaw...she swam for deeper water and the others trailed behind her.

9. It never happens to me if there's a large group of fish because I couldn't suck that bad to only catch one (:rude: )...so this one kind of ties in to #1

10. A loud screaming hum from my line scared them away...,,,:confused:...nah, maybe it was "Happy Hour" at the nearby Eel Grass Pub and the one I caught didn't have his watch on.