View Full Version : Charley Soares

Chris in Mass
07-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Man this guy can friggin write (IMHO). I really don't know anything about him except seeing him at a seminar once, and seeing his name pop up here and there. So I have no baggage good or bad when it comes to Charley. I realized today that ever since he has been putting those stories on the last page of OTW, that it is the first thing I turn to when I open up the mag. I drop what I'm doing and read his story on the spot. The rest of the stuff in the mag can wait. The stories to me are so captivating and his style is so 3D. I can almost smell the saltwater. For you Charley fans, which book of his should I start with?

Clammer
07-26-2010, 07:12 PM
old timer , great guy , great fisherman ,,,,,,,no B/S with him <><><:fishin:

SurfCaster413
07-26-2010, 08:12 PM
I do enjoy his articles as well

Sea Dangles
07-26-2010, 08:13 PM
word

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Great stories!!!!!!!!!!!

tattoobob
07-26-2010, 09:18 PM
old timer , great guy , great fisherman ,,,,,,,no B/S with him <><><:fishin:

Agreed

piemma
07-27-2010, 05:54 AM
Charley is an old friend introduced to me by the late Bob Pond. I have an autographed copy of Charey's book "Stemming the Tide".

It says "To Paul, a student of our great sport, Fair winds, Charley".

Get the book, it is super.

bloocrab
07-27-2010, 06:17 AM
Charlie was always my main attraction (or rather the main reason I'd go) when he used to do the EBA show in Barrington. Years ago, he was also more involved in the local VFW Flea-Market, and yes...he would share just about anything...and his way of story telling, is one of a kind. I truly enjoy listening to him, as well as reading his stuff.

Class A guy, with a nose for finding fish. Chris, you can't go wrong with any of his works. :uhuh:

Like Piemma, I too have an autographed copy of Stemming the tide. I don't even bother keeping a book-mark...:)

vineyardblues
07-27-2010, 06:27 AM
I first meet him because he and Cinto are close friends, almost like brothers. They both are fishing machines.
And a class act, good people and I would call him a friend all day long :uhuh:

VB

redlite
07-27-2010, 07:55 AM
My wife and I once ate dinner at the table next to he and his wife at Margarites in Westport. I was nervous that I was chewing too loud.

I really enjoy his stories as well cause they're not chest pounding "look at my big fish stories". He has a knack for taking the other aspects of fishing and putting them so vividly into words that you don't even care about the "what was caught, how many, and how big"

I never read any of his books (or many fishing books for that matter), but am enthralled by the articles.

.....Thank God. By the title of this thread my heart sank cause I thought it was gonna be another "We lost a good egg" thread......

fishbones
07-27-2010, 08:29 AM
He's a great writer and excellent fisherman. On top of that, he's about as much of a gentleman and class act as you will find anywhere.

Back Beach
07-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Reading Charlie's work is like having him sitting right next to you sipping a cold beer together while recanting his experiences of a lifetime on the ocean.

Jimbo
07-27-2010, 09:06 AM
I have a signed copy of the newer book out, Walking On Water. Also a collection of short stories. We've never met, but I had exchanged a few emails with him and found his responses to be quite honest and sincere, surely worth of the respect shown in this thread so far. He has a knack for putting to words and describing the experiences that shaped his life early on in a way that you're fully captivated. And with every story comes a lesson about life. I also turn to the last page, first, when I receive my OTW each month.

Pt.JudeJoe
07-27-2010, 10:05 AM
It would be hard to add to all of the accollades aforementioned about Charley. A class guy all around. The new book is excellent.It brings the reader back to a simpler time that is a good "remember when". Seeing life thru the eyes of a kid,the wonder ,the elation,the disappointments.

Dave Peros
07-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Having known Charley for a number of years, there is little doubt that he is "the real deal." I give OTW a lot of credit for offering him the free rein to write his column because it is, by far, the best thing in the magazine, offering insights and perspectives from someone who can not only fish, but has a great appreciation of the vagaries in life. I hate to call Charley a legend, because that term often is associated with folks who have gone before us, but both he and Lola are examples to all of us of what good people are all about and who are thankful for everything they have earned in life.

Backbeach Jake
07-27-2010, 09:12 PM
I head straight for the back page of OTW every month. Charlie's for real, the last of a breed in New England. His column could be set to music.

BassDawg
07-28-2010, 07:48 PM
i've never had the privelege to meet Charley, but his inimitable style resonates completely everytime i read his work. agreed, "Stemming the Tide" is a must read and i've yet to get to his latest book, but i DO NOT miss his monthly articles from OTW. definitely~~ words to feesh, learn, and live by.

striperman36
07-28-2010, 08:00 PM
If I say anything, I know he'll give me sh*t the next time I see him.
Bastard

Joe
07-28-2010, 08:50 PM
A class act and a real gentleman.

good2hook
07-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Charlie Soares is about as good as it gets. I'm glad to call him a friend. I met him a few years ago in my store and talk to him now and again. His neighbor works for me and she dropped off his latest book by my store Walking on Water, signed to me personally by the man himself.
He's comes in with his wife from time to time and i'll help him just listen to his stories. I could listen to him all day. The last time he was in he gave me a signed Cinto popper:love:, just because.
My wife and son have also had the pleasure of meeting him and he's promised to take my son fishing. A promise i'm sure he will keep.
I have an open invitation to take his yaks out on the river, i would never dream of it. But i do hope to fish with him one day, it would be a day to remember.

He also drives one of the coolest SUV's out there right now, black FJ Cruiser, just like mine:).

Fish_Eye
07-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Charlie knows his craft, both catching and writing.