View Full Version : Block Island Beach Barrier Permit

specialeducator
07-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Just purchased the Barrier Beach permit for East beach $100 In State Fee, $200 for out of state, specifically for fishing the Charleston Breachway and bringing my golden on the beach. Driving 2.5 miles in via East Beach and walking the .5 miles to the breach way and laughing as you are the only person on the south side and the notherns are lined up and tangling lines...

Anyhow, the women behind the desk at Burlingame mentioned this pass also pertains to Block island. She said, "You must inform the Block Island Police before you go". She did not have any other information.

Where on Block Island is she refering to? Is a possible place to surf cast?

Just retired from boating, turned 35, sold the boat to save money, and started to surf cast. I am in love. Just learned how to tie a shock leader, kept snapping my lines after casting live eels and a 4 oz weight. Hopefully this will help.

Started off with a $69 12ft Ugly Stick and Okumu Strata 65 reel, $50 with 20 lb line. I assume this is all entry level stuff. I have to say, I can toss that Kastmaster pretty freaking far... The live eels not so good...

About to order some waders and korkers. Any suggestions?

Raven
07-30-2010, 02:50 AM
Travel Light and start making plugs.

Welcome to S-B

Rob Rockcrawler
07-30-2010, 03:35 AM
Ive never heard of having to inform the BI police of your intent to use the beach trail if you have a permit. You should check out some of the how-to thread in the how too forum. A lot of information that will shorten your learning curve quite a bit. A little tip about eels, go without weight, cast and retrieve, nice and slow.

Nebe
07-30-2010, 06:59 AM
cow cove- out to the north rip

ivanputski
07-30-2010, 07:37 AM
I would throw only bait with a 12 ft rod... for eels and plugs you will wear yourself out... get yourself a 9-10 ft. rod next. Best of luck, and enjoy the learning process...

WoodyCT
07-30-2010, 03:05 PM
You can access the North Rip at the northern most tip of the island. BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU DO FISH THERE!! VERY STRONG CURRENTS THAT CAN SWEEP YOU TO YOUR DEATH, AS IT HAS OTHERS.

And I believe you can access Bean Pt. near the dump.

That's it as far as I know.

The vast majority of the better fishing is not beach buggy accessible. Prepare to hoof it.

Surfcasting tip- Wood is good, but plastic is fantastic! Spend your $ on Bombers, Redfins, North Bar Bottle Darters, Super Strike darters/poppers/needles, Sebile Magic Swimmers/Stick Shadd. High end wood plugs are purdy, but plastic has many many advantages over them.

Nebe
07-30-2010, 07:41 PM
You can access the North Rip at the northern most tip of the island. BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU DO FISH THERE!! VERY STRONG CURRENTS THAT CAN SWEEP YOU TO YOUR DEATH, AS IT HAS OTHERS.

And I believe you can access Bean Pt. near the dump.

That's it as far as I know.

The vast majority of the better fishing is not beach buggy accessible. Prepare to hoof it.

Surfcasting tip- Wood is good, but plastic is fantastic! Spend your $ on Bombers, Redfins, North Bar Bottle Darters, Super Strike darters/poppers/needles, Sebile Magic Swimmers/Stick Shadd. High end wood plugs are purdy, but plastic has many many advantages over them.

Also crescent beach...

piemma
07-31-2010, 02:42 AM
...and if you are throwing eels, don't use a lead weight. The eel will knot itself around your leader and you will have to cut the whole thing off. You fish a live eel like you do a plug...only much, much slower.

DZ
07-31-2010, 07:09 AM
Interesting tidbit - back in the 80s I walked to Balls Pt from Grove one night. Much to my surprise there was a buggy parked on the cobble there. Custom job with at least two feet of clearance - you guessed it - NY plates. Drove in from Grove. Those guys were unbelievable.

DZ

piemma
07-31-2010, 01:03 PM
Dennis, do you remember the father and son from PA with a blue van? They use to park at the end of the road at Cow Cove.
Saw them with twin 50s about 92 or 93. Both within 15 minutes of each other 51 & 53#