View Full Version : ZeeBaaS ZX 2-27 Review

chefchris401
07-30-2010, 10:00 PM
ZeeBaaS ZX2-27 Review

First off, I am in no way affiliated with ZeeBaaS or any other surf reel company. This review is meant to shine some light on their newest reel and how it has performed for me. My experiences may differ from yours or someone else’s, this is just an honest review on my findings.

I have used Van Stall reels for the past 7 seasons and have never had any issues and will still continue to fish them hard.

The main reel I bought this reel was to find out for myself how good or bad the reel is. I didn’t set out to break or baby the reel to get the hoped for results. The reel is fished hard, just like my loyal VS reels.

I fish in a wetsuit all the time, my reels are always dunked, wet, surf sprayed, etc. I swim out to rocks and am pretty hard on my gear, it was not pampered.

Model ZeeBaaS ZX2-27, Dual Roller, Black

Company states on their website that the reel weighs 19.9 oz. Actual weight is 22 oz with no line. I didn’t reweigh after it was spooled. It feels really light on the rod.

For line the reel is currently spooled with 100 yards of 17 lb. test mono and 386 yards of 50 lb Cabela’s Ripcord Si Braided line.

For my side by side casting test, I used my VS 250, spooled with the same line and put on the same rod. I made 10 cast with each plug and averaged them together, then removed one reel and put on the other using the same leader and plug.

On the side by side casting test I am averaging 8 to 12 yards more per cast with the Z. It seems to throw the lighter stuff like loaded redfins and smaller bucktails better. On the heavier stuff like pencils and big plugs the distance is almost the same, just a yard or two more.

So far the reel has about 70 hours on it, has caught and landed 56 stripers and 16 blues.

Double roller: I haven’t had any issues with the double rollers. I haven’t caught the line or miscast once yet. The double roller is great for fishing in heavy surf or when the wind is howling. It looks like you’d bash your knuckles on it but that also hasn’t happened to me. Haven’t had any break offs due to the double roller.

Drag: one word-SMOOTH. The drag is very smooth and seems to have endless settings. It is also easy to adjust, with wet gloves on. I haven’t had any issues with the drag knob.

Retrieve: The handle is very smooth, the spool and cup spin freely and it lays the line down evenly. Has plenty of speed to work pencils but can also slow crawl a needle.

Sand: I don’t usually fish sand beaches, but it has been laid own in the sand for pics or removing a hook, just a quick rinse in the surf and back to fishing.

No loose parts, no noises, NO ISSUES……………….yet? I’m not expecting anything to happen but you never know.

So far I love the reel and am very happy with my purchase and if it continues to perform like this I will be even happier.

This is my first review and will continue to fish the reel hard and see what’s it weak points may be.

If you have questions please post them and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Frankiesurf
08-02-2010, 12:36 AM
I just noticed you have the updated drag knob. That is a HUGE difference with the "waterproof" drag I had on mine.

Did they do anything with the rubber "seal" for the left hand retrieve or is it still just pushed in?

JohnR
08-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the review.

I'm 3.5 seasons into mine (upgraded to a 2.7 2 years ago) and I'm overall pretty impressed.

Handled 40# fish in swift currents, smooth and stable drag. Frequently wet and submerged.

I've twice had issues catching the second roller and I'm on the fence for one or two rollers. Great reel.