View Full Version : Oil change shop gripe.

Rob Rockcrawler
07-31-2010, 12:04 PM
So im cheap and like easy like many people. So i got my oil changed at my local place. Ive never really thought twice about checking out what they do on a oil change. So im off this morning running late trying to get to a zipline tour. Pretty pumped, drop the pedal, so i get in the hammer lane right away. 30 seconds later the smoke is amazing, i pull over and all my oil is gone. I had it towed to the oil change guy. I give him credit for admitting that he screwed up. He mangled the gasket on the new filter and didnt notice it. So i get another oil change and 20 bucks to get a car wash. All of their work is warrantied, so if i develop engine problems they will be taken care of. Engine problems to me means if i dont hit 200k on the cherokee there is a problem. So now im a bit nervous to drive the thing any distance. To fish or not to fish...

ElSluggo
07-31-2010, 01:55 PM
That's why I do it myself

Redsoxticket
07-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Pressure test each cylinder, capture the reading and analyze to determine if the piston rings are worn.
You did the right thing by pulling over
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raven
07-31-2010, 10:47 PM
the reason they charge so little is because they use the worst oil.

Rob Rockcrawler
08-01-2010, 10:29 AM
So after i get home yesterday i needed to head out again. Went to the landfill and noticed a sizable leak of antifreeze. Found a pinhole leak in the top radiator hose. A pin hole under pressure sure leaks quick. Changed the hose and im good to go for now. Gotta love the AAA premium.