View Full Version : Solid Needle

Eric Roach
08-01-2010, 12:25 PM
This is the first needle I've been really satisfied with:

Buoyancy is slightly negative.
Action is waking with a nice wobble.
If allowed to sink after splashdown, it will run just-subsurface.
It has enough mass to prevent it from being a toss-about in a chop.
Wood is quartersawn Black Cherry.
Rigged weight is 2.4 oz.

Dimensions are below if anyone is interested. The grid is 1/8" per block.

If anyone messes with this layout, I'd love to hear your findings.

Thanks of course to RM Smith for the inspiration.

johnny ducketts
08-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks for posting the specs, looks great!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

numbskull
08-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Nice plug, fancy lumber.

ProfessorM
08-01-2010, 04:25 PM
nice documentation. nice plug too.

a4scoot
08-03-2010, 05:49 AM
What software did you use to make the drawing? I think everyone would benefit from the ability to make drawings of a favorite plug. :cool:

wrikerjr
08-03-2010, 08:48 AM
What software did you use to make the drawing? I think everyone would benefit from the ability to make drawings of a favorite plug. :cool:

I would second that would love to do those drawings on a computer. My freehand files look like a child

Eric Roach
08-03-2010, 03:06 PM
I designed that in Excel.

Here's a quick video on using Excel to do this. It was recorded as a WebEx then converted to a .wmv to upload to YouTube. Quality isn't great but hopefully it will give you a starting point if you want to try it.

YouTube - Plug Layout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd212hudPIU)

wrikerjr
08-04-2010, 05:35 AM
Eric,

Thank you for posting that.

Kindest,
Billy

a4scoot
08-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Eric,

Thats what im talking about!!! Thanks for more than we asked for!! Outstanding video!! Whats your address? That rates a plug delivery! A picture is worth a 1000 words but a drawing says it all! :cool:

My luck you are using Excel 2003 & the Govmnt Puter I have has 2007!

Eric Roach
08-04-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm glad you guys got something out of that -- when I played it back I could barely see it.

I'm thinking I can use print-offs from these Excel designs to trace duplicator templtes on acrylic, and it'd be easy to scale them.

Scoot:

Thank you for the plug offer - that's really not necessary, but I won't say no. :) I am setting aside a wall in the shop for gift plugs, the first of which came from numbskull, who gave me a beautiful darter at the last Plugfest.
I will PM my address, please sign your work.
PS: The version of Excel shouldn't mater, these are very basic Excel functions.

Eric Roach
08-04-2010, 10:53 AM
By the way, if anyone has a better tool for plug design please let us know. I used Excel becuase I'm so familiar with it.

a4scoot
08-04-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm glad you guys got something out of that -- when I played it back I could barely see it.

I'm thinking I can use print-offs from these Excel designs to trace duplicator templtes on acrylic, and it'd be easy to scale them.

Scoot:

Thank you for the plug offer - that's really not necessary, but I won't say no. :) I am setting aside a wall in the shop for gift plugs, the first of which came from numbskull, who gave me a beautiful darter at the last Plugfest.
I will PM my address, please sign your work.
PS: The version of Excel shouldn't mater, these are very basic Excel functions.

In trying your method on the puter here Excel 2007 does not have the draw toolbar available like 2003 did. Either I cant find it or the version the govmnt purchased left it out. I have used that before so i know how to find it in 2003 but 2007 is realy different on the top of the screen.
Using these printouts to make templets was why i was looking for a program to do drawings. The cad ones are too expensive for what I wanted to do.
The plug will be on the way as soon as i get home. You should consider going to plugbash 2010. A lot of good guys are signing up.:chased:

Eric Roach
08-04-2010, 05:25 PM
This might help, not sure if we have the same features within Excel 2007, but its worth a shot.

YouTube - Plug Design in Excel 2007 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DE1jkrO7uE)

Great White
08-05-2010, 11:16 AM
I use AutoCAD. If you know how to use it, it is very fast. I will post
a few designs in a bit.

Eric Roach
08-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Looking forward to seeing those...I think you can render in 3D with that tool.

I can't help but think some people reading this are asking "why is this necessary?" It isn't, but if you like this kind of geeky stuff or if you are in to trying to apply science to an art form (albeit sometimes fruitlessly), it's a form of fun.

The fact that there are so many incredible designers/builders out there who never used a computer to lay their plugs out proves that this is really superfluous...But I dig it anyways.

Pete F.
08-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Nice plug
If you really want to make it complicated you can figure out what and where the center of gravity and the center of bouyancy are. I think most of us are in this to have fun and we each have a little different definition. I'm an eyeball man myself.

a4scoot
08-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks again Eric!! Microsoft was trying to make it hard for us computer dummies! Excel 2007 may be better in some ways but the drawing part was hidden. I guess I can get the Co to get me training since it is different! You will have a plug as soon as I make it to a PO since I ranout of the small boxes. What Kind of plug do you prefer?

Eric Roach
08-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks again Eric!! Microsoft was trying to make it hard for us computer dummies! Excel 2007 may be better in some ways but the drawing part was hidden. I guess I can get the Co to get me training since it is different! You will have a plug as soon as I make it to a PO since I ranout of the small boxes. What Kind of plug do you prefer?

My pleasure -- glad that helped. Any plug will do, but a swimmer would be great. Thank you again, that's very generous of you.

Great White
08-06-2010, 01:37 PM
I use the AutoCAD to plot patterns onto card stock and then trace and cut out of some 5/16 poplar I have...then onto the duplicator. It just occurred to me that you guys won't be able to view the designs I post unless you have AutoCAD. I will have to convert them to PDF's then post, but will have to wait until I am back in work on monday to do that.

wrikerjr
08-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Looking forward to seeing those...I think you can render in 3D with that tool.

I can't help but think some people reading this are asking "why is this necessary?" It isn't, but if you like this kind of geeky stuff or if you are in to trying to apply science to an art form (albeit sometimes fruitlessly), it's a form of fun.

The fact that there are so many incredible designers/builders out there who never used a computer to lay their plugs out proves that this is really superfluous...But I dig it anyways.

I think you would be suprised to see that most people have plugs mapped out in some way, not as nicely as you or on just graph paper. CAD tools that render in 3d would make my world so much easier - but hell plug building by site is just as rewarding.

Striperknight
08-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Nice use of excel. Very interesting.