View Full Version : Aurora

UserRemoved1
08-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Heads up north tonite this one's a biggy and we may see aurora here tonight.

FOXNews.com - Solar Tsunami to Strike Earth (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/03/spectacular-northern-lights-signals-sun-waking/)

BigFish
08-03-2010, 01:25 PM
I remember back in the day (7-8 years ago?) when the backside was good! I was fishing Ballston or Head of the Meadow and I could see the Northern Lights that night....it was truly a memorable sight! I will never forget it!:uhuh:

JohnR
08-03-2010, 01:41 PM
I've seen it several times in fall on MV and down at SoCo, especially with a cool NW wind.

MrHunters
08-03-2010, 02:09 PM
think ill head down to PI tonight. Thanks for the heads up!

Clammer
08-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Larry ;

Back in the day .7 -8 years ago ;;

what the %$%$%$%$ are you thinking ?????????:confused::smash:

timmah
08-03-2010, 02:28 PM
I hear massive coronal ionized particle ejections are good for fishin'.

PRBuzz
08-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Supposedly there is an hour lead time from an earth orbiting satellite detecting the particles which will provide a clue as to whether the aurora will be better than average or stupendous.

HHH weather is not conductive to seeing aurora's light!

Nebe
08-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Heads up north tonite this one's a biggy and we may see aurora here tonight.

FOXNews.com - Solar Tsunami to Strike Earth (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/08/03/spectacular-northern-lights-signals-sun-waking/)

so close you can almost smell uranus :rotf2:

Rob Rockcrawler
08-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I saw an awesome display about 7-8 years ago while fishing the canal in october. Me and a buddy caught about 75 fish each, all 25-34 inches. It was also the day i was introduced to storm shads. Best day of fishing i had for many years, topped off with the lights.

Raven
08-03-2010, 05:49 PM
been wondering how the corona discharge will effect the magnetosphere and fishin

i'll be out there at 3 am , sitting, waiting lookin North

PRBuzz
08-03-2010, 07:13 PM
From Matt Noyes (NECN); aurora activity over last 2 hrs

UserRemoved1
08-03-2010, 07:20 PM
pr buzz keep watching that. When you see the bright colors over our area then go look. Don't bother if it's just the blue/purple you won't see anything.

That is the chart to keep an eye on for polar activity.

nightfighter
08-03-2010, 07:40 PM
So, what are expected to be the peak hours to see this????

UserRemoved1
08-03-2010, 07:45 PM
btw the direct link for the polar images is here: Northern Hemisphere Enlarged View (http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/pmapN.html)

This is only a c3 class flare which really isn't that big, they go C to M to X, with X being the most intense. The significance of this is that the flare was pointed directly at earth when it lit off. Usually they are pointed in other areas when they happen so they don't do much.

Now if we were to get a M or God forbid an X class flare pointed at us like this then I'd say get plenty of gas for your generators. You'll be needing them for a few months or a year.... If you think I'm kidding wait. I saw an X3 flare in the last solar cycle wipe out all shortwave stuff for almost a week. Snap crackle pop is all you hear. Those are electrical grid/satellite killers.

UserRemoved1
08-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Ross from what I've been able to see it should start peaking in the next few hours and run to about 3-4 am so anytime. Key to seeing something is to watch that polar auroral plot from the satellite. That measures the density.

I just called my wife in New Brunswick and told her to send the kids outside later. Hopefully they'll get some pictures from up there.

nightfighter
08-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks, Scott. I love this stuff, whether it's the space station, or meteor showers. Perseids should be soon, no? Sure is a lot more comfortable now than watching those in January......

PRBuzz
08-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Link to animation:

Animation of Recent Northern Polar Passes (http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/AnimateN.html)

UserRemoved1
08-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Don't follow meteors Ross but I think they are. I only watch this because of my ham radio hobby. This solar cycle has started very very slow but it's ramping up very quickly.

Raven
08-03-2010, 08:50 PM
too cloudy here in my neck of the woods
to see the stars

lotsa light pollution with yellow street lamps too :wall:

i'll check around 3-3:30 am

striperman36
08-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Take off your sunglasses.

70 occluded here too

nightfighter
08-04-2010, 03:27 AM
Clouded over here......

Raven
08-04-2010, 03:52 AM
Take off your sunglasses.

can't do that.........my future's to bright :grins:

Rob Rockcrawler
08-04-2010, 05:08 AM
I went out at 11 and looked up, didn't see anything. I couldn't look to the north.

piemma
08-04-2010, 05:25 AM
I hear massive coronal ionized particle ejections are good for fishin'.

Well, about 7 or 8 years ago (Nebe will remember the night) I was fishing the incoming at 0 dark 30 at the Weakapaug Breachway. Nebe was about 10 miles away in Narragansett. There was an absolutely breathtaking Northern Lights display. Reds, greens, whites , light blues. Went on for a couple of hours. The fishing was wild. 1/2 hour after the Aurora started we started slamming big fish. 20 to 40 pound bass for about an hour.
I remember I spoke to Eben the next day and he commented on the display. I might be mistaken but I think this was one of the nights when he would take his life in his hands and crawl all the way to the end of the East Wall. I think he hooked and lost a moose right at the end of the Wall.

Raven
08-04-2010, 06:58 AM
IF WHEN THE Sunrise in the east
IS DIRECTLY OPPOSITE........
on the other side of the EARTH
as.......
a Moon setting (IN THE WEST)
at the same time (approximately)
where both are simultaneously visible
if that has the same effect on the magnetosphere
as does a corona discharge....

BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE.......
that the fishing "TURNS ON" like unbelievable
for like 30-45 minutes

UserRemoved1
08-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Coronal discharge is charged ions being hurled away from the sun. It hits our ionosphere and causes distortions in our magnetic field of the earth.

Picture a balloon being hit with a spray from a hose. Now imagine what happens to the balloon- it distorts and changes shape. That's about what it looks like if you could see it.

Got nothing to do with gravitational pull.

BigFish
08-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Well, about 7 or 8 years ago (Nebe will remember the night) I was fishing the incoming at 0 dark 30 at the Weakapaug Breachway. Nebe was about 10 miles away in Narragansett. There was an absolutely breathtaking Northern Lights display. Reds, greens, whites , light blues. Went on for a couple of hours. The fishing was wild. 1/2 hour after the Aurora started we started slamming big fish. 20 to 40 pound bass for about an hour.
I remember I spoke to Eben the next day and he commented on the display. I might be mistaken but I think this was one of the nights when he would take his life in his hands and crawl all the way to the end of the East Wall. I think he hooked and lost a moose right at the end of the Wall.

Paul I am guessing that was the same time I saw it?? I believe it was Autumn??

DZ
08-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Paul I am guessing that was the same time I saw it?? I believe it was Autumn??

About that long ago I witnessed it on the cape the third week of September. A few years before that it was November out at Block.

Didn't see anything last night through the haze at 11.

DZ

Raven
08-04-2010, 08:03 AM
Got nothing to do with gravitational pull.
~
Now Jean-Paul Mbelek and Marc Lachieze-Ray of the French Atomic Energy Commission near Paris say they can resolve the contradiction

that electromagnetism and gravity influence one another enough for gravity's pull to be noticeably affected by the Earth's magnetic field.

my main point was....not to get too astrally charged up on scientific theories...

is............ if you take the two charts...

sun rise times and moon set times

and you find a day where they are opposing each other
rising and setting at almost the same time
and go fishing during this time
you will be rewarded...:uhuh:

nuff said...

back ta werk

UserRemoved1
08-04-2010, 08:38 AM
'SOLAR TSUNAMI': Northern Lights seen as far as Michigan after Sun's flare | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1300175/SOLAR-TSUNAMI-Northern-Lights-seen-far-Michigan-Suns-flare.html)

checkout that picture. nice.

UserRemoved1
08-04-2010, 04:05 PM
If the clouds break tonight you may have another chance to see something...

PRBuzz
08-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Why couldn't the show last just one more night, now that the front is past with crystal clear skies!

Animation of Recent Northern Polar Passes (http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/AnimateN.html)