View Full Version : Shakedown Cruise....

The Dad Fisherman
08-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Got the next couple of days off and am heading up to NH for a little camping with the scouts. Got the Yak strapped to the truck and plan on spending the time searching out some bucketmouths up on the local lakes up there.

Should be a good test of where I stand on my sea-worthiness. Hopefully I'll have some Pics to post when I get back.

spence
08-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Please have someone take a video of your first launch :hihi:

-spence

The Dad Fisherman
08-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Not

A

Chance

:hihi:

Rockport24
08-04-2010, 10:11 AM
You'll be fine. You're gonna find that boat to be super stable, yet really manueverable. Since you'll be in calm water, once you get a little more comfortable on it, try sitting side saddle (useful to grab things from the rear tankwell) and if you are feeling really ambitious, try jumping off getting back on in water over your head, a pond is great place to practice that. There are bunch of videos on tube tube about how to re-enter a sit on top.

Oh yeah and it may be tempting to go out without a pfd if it's hot, but don't do it, get used to having that thing on at all times and if it's not comfortable, get another one.

JohnnyD
08-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Just wait until your first launch from an ocean beach. Had about 15 people laughing at me on my first attempt. Then, trying to beach the kayak was almost as comical... for them at least.

The Dad Fisherman
08-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Oh yeah and it may be tempting to go out without a pfd if it's hot, but don't do it, get used to having that thing on at all times and if it's not comfortable, get another one.

1st stop when I leave work is Kittery Trading Post to pick one up.....trust me...you won't see me in it w/ out one on

BigFish
08-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Have a blast Kevin!! Good fishing!!:uhuh:

Rockport24
08-04-2010, 11:42 AM
1st stop when I leave work is Kittery Trading Post to pick one up.....trust me...you won't see me in it w/ out one on

nice, yeah sometimes you see goofs out there on joppa without them, they'll say "oh yeah well if you fall off, you just stand up out here!" yeah that's great until you get swept into a channel and out to the river mouth! :smash:

Raven
08-04-2010, 12:01 PM
you mean LIKe

SHAKE
PADDLE
and ROLL :grins:

Backbeach Jake
08-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Please practice getting back in. If you need to it's really good to had it down pat. If your new yak doesn't have handles , get some. Makes saving your ass much easier. I learned by sheer luck.