View Full Version : &&^%$#@@$!!! Outfished by Wife!

Brian L
08-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Ever get outfished by the Missus? Tell us your stories...

I'll start......

The family rented a cottage down in SoCo last week and my wife and kids stayed down there for the week. I commuted back and forth most days but managed to fish a couple hours during early mornings or evenings almost every day for 8 days. I had a respectable week, landing over 50 fish of keeper size or better with the biggest fish at 33lbs. We'd planned on leaving Friday evening, so on Thurs night my wife Kim says, "I haven't fished with you in two years, I want to go in the morning." Thinking she'd decline for sure, I say, "okay hot shot, boat leaves at 4:30". She says, "hell yeah, I want to see the sun rise over the dunes and spend some quality alone time with you."

Sure enough, she pops up at the crack of 4 with me and we headed out into the sound around daybreak with a dozen big eels and the light boat rods. We pull into the first spot and I hook up a 20-something lb fish on the first drift and hand her the rod. She reels it in calmly as if she's caught a thousand of them and says, "eh, that's a little one, and I want to catch one all on my own". :confused: So I give her the conventional eeling rod and off she goes to the bow, casting the TE400 like a pro 30-40 yds in the right direction. With no more bites at the first spot, we move on.

I say, "okay, we'll go to the big fish spot now, because apparently you're a professional, and since you haven't gone in 2 years, you'll probably get lucky and hook a big fish." We pull into a favorite reef of mine and set the lines. 50yds into the drift she quietly says, "I think I have one". I turn around to see her rod doubled over and line screaming off the reel. The fish didn't stop running until it had 75 yards ripped off, so excitedly I say, "that's acting like a really big fish." She stays cool as a cucumber and 10 minutes later, she drags this 47" 35lb'er to the side of the boat with no help whatsoever from me other than lipping it and landing it. It's by far her biggest ever, and it was high hook for the week. We took the pic below and slid the fish back into the water alive and kicking. We caught four other 15-20lb fish in the next hour and I set sail for home for breakfast with the kids, soundly outfished 4-2. :fury:

The captain did get a conciliatory smooch and an outstanding breakfast when we got back to the dock. :love:

numbskull
08-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Sounds like you got a good one, too. :uhuh:

striperman36
08-05-2010, 06:14 PM
The captain did get a conciliatory smooch and an outstanding breakfast when we got back to the dock. :love:

What about the tip?

Brian L
08-05-2010, 06:51 PM
What about the tip?

:rotf2:

We're just not going there, old guy..

Rob Rockcrawler
08-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Nice fish.

ruhroh
08-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Nice fish and no disrespect meant but looks like Mama's got nice legs.

Brian L
08-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Nice fish.

For sure. Extra nice that we got to release it in good shape.

paraman
08-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Get over it. My wife outfishes me and generally everyone always. It's a good thing and nice fish as well.
paraman

maddog2020
08-05-2010, 09:36 PM
It just goes to show you that sometimes luck & light touch beats out skill and brawn, BrianL. LOL

Sounded like a great time by all ! Awesome that the fish got released.

I bet your brother won't let you live that one down either. ;)

I would have been happy w/ the breakfast let alone fish.

Mike M.
08-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Great story and pic. Life is good.

Raven
08-06-2010, 04:26 AM
all for the better !!!

because now you have ever so much more
understanding for the time that "you" put in....

congrats to the WIFE...

front page worthy JohnR

*sometime

Brian L
08-06-2010, 04:37 AM
Indeed, Raven. It was a picture perfect morning. Just a breath of wind, glassy water, nice sunrise over the dunes, and a decent bite. On the way in she says, "I can totally understand why you get up at 230 AM to drive down here now." I'm not sure she's "understood" the habit before, but has always accepted it as something that makes me very happy. I could have BackBeach to thank for that. Early in our courtship she and Mike were having a conversation about how to make me happy and he told her, "just don't ever, ever try to keep him from fishing." She took his advice, and has never once in 15 years (and I fish as much as anyone with a wife and 2 young daughters) given me grief about a single outing. :)

Raven
08-06-2010, 04:40 AM
i envisioned that.... BrianL

saw the forest instead of the tree's :grins:

tomytuna
08-06-2010, 05:31 AM
You guys that have wives who fish with you better not "bitch". You caught KEEPERS,and better know it.

numbskull
08-06-2010, 05:59 AM
I could have BackBeach to thank for that. Early in our courtship she and Mike were having a conversation about how to make me happy and he told her, "just don't ever, ever try to keep him from fishing."

Wow! I thought he would have said "hold his head under the blankets and fart".

JohnR
08-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Hehehe, so this 'splains why you were near despondent Tuesday night :rotf2:

Seriously - good catch :btu:

tysdad115
08-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Lady luck, or a good teacher? You must have shown her the right way! Good job,great fish.

FINnie
08-06-2010, 09:14 AM
very nice!!!! im with those who regularly get outfished by my gf and most people with 0 fishing experience...but i guess it is my equipment and i bait the hook, cast it, watch the pole and set the hook. Still i love seeing how excited other people are when they catch fish, escpecially if they arent a real "fisherman"

MarshCappa
08-06-2010, 10:31 AM
It's nice to go fishing with the wife when you can. My wife and I used to go way more than we do now. Great catch on both parts! :love:

ThrowingTimber
08-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Congratulations beautiful fish!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Brian L
08-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Hehehe, so this 'splains why you were near despondent Tuesday night :rotf2:

Seriously - good catch :btu:

I was near unconscious Tuesday night, eh? If not for the bucket to sit on, I think I'd have been sleeping on the road. I had a very very long day at a trade association show (imbibing adult beverages, etc...) I shouldn't really have gone fishing two nights in a row, but you know how that goes. :uhuh:

SoCo in the AM. Hope there's a few more like this one swimming around on my reef..

JohnnySaxatilis
08-06-2010, 08:32 PM
That would be nice to have a chick like that ha. I was watching shark week with my girlfriend last night on discovery, there's a commercial for that super slow motion show where they have a spider attacking a mouse or something and she say's

VER BATEM "I hate, like... nature"

:confused:

terrible, time for a curb sandwich for her

Back Beach
08-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Admit it, you haven't fished together in two years because she kicked your butt last time too...she'll probably be elderly before you inivite her out again.

Brian L
08-07-2010, 02:39 PM
LOL

Thanks for letting me use the aerator, it worked out perfectly. I'll have it back to you this afternoon.

Brian L
08-11-2010, 09:28 AM
So it's the last 2 trips to SoCo and two PB's for someone other than me! My good friend John (aka Poncho) has been fishing very hard the last couple of years and I've really been rooting for him to break 30. We went out in SoCo on Sat AM and Ponch tied into this 32lb'er in fairly shallow water. It was a hell of a fight. The fish took a long first run and wrapped itself around a boulder or a piece of the reef then turned 180 and swam all the way directly back at the boat. A little chasing, a little patience, and a whole lot of shredded 25# big game later, Ponch hauled this one aboard. Congrats to a guy who sure as hell deserves it.

bassballer
08-11-2010, 10:28 AM
awesome.

I took a buddy out last night that wanted to catch a striper. He got skunked while we landed fish around him. I wanted him to hook up badly. I wanted to see that look on his face.

fish4striper
08-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Nice! Congrats to the two of them!