View Full Version : ATTN Builders: Bathroom remodelling question

spence
08-05-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm going to install a small (approx 29.5" X 20") granite bathroom vanity counter top in an irregular U shaped space. The cabinet will be custom and made to fit after by myself. I'm really just building a false front and door and using the space as the cabinet.

I attached strapping at the proper height to simulate the cabinet and made a template. It seems as though the sides are parallel with the back wall at an angle. If the top was a rectangle the gap on the right would be 3/8".

Options:

Have the top fabricated to a perfect rectangle and make up the 3/8" by cutting a recess in the sheet rock.

Have the top fabricated to a perfect rectangle and make up the 3/8" by building up the wall to fit.

Have the top fabricated with different length sides and let the top be deeper on the right. I'm assuming the back splash would be mitered to fit exactly, but I have to verify this with the fabricator.

Thoughts?

thanks,

-spence

PRBuzz
08-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Options:

Have the top fabricated with different length sides and let the top be deeper on the right. I'm assuming the back splash would be mitered to fit exactly, but I have to verify this with the fabricator.

Thoughts?

thanks,

-spence

If you are going to a fabricator, let them (or you) template the surface and they cut to the template. I just had installed 2 large pieces of granite that fit like a glove since they templated first. Check out Garcia Granite&Tile just south of the Taunton green on Rt138

Slipknot
08-05-2010, 06:57 PM
nobody miters backsplash for granite, formica laminate,corian or any other, so forget mitering inside corners, they should just be simple butt joints.

Usually a template is made for a stone top
it will follow the crooked out of square walls which happens in older homes and sometimes in poorly constructed new homes even.

I assume it must be too small of a job for a fabricator to want to bother coming there to make a template???
So why can't you just make one for him, it's easy to do.

I'm not sure what you mean by option 2 there where you say build up the wall to fit, you mean fair the wall with plaster??? sounds like a lot of extra work to me.

good luck

is this the same bathroom you asked about contractors a long time ago? I guess you're doing it piecemeal.

nightfighter
08-05-2010, 07:04 PM
If I understand your description correctly, I would try building out the wall with a couple coats of joint compound feathered in. Not going to get a full 3/8, but enough so when the back splash is installed, only you wil know you're not totally square.... You are more concerned with where the backsplash meets the wall anyway, and you'll be siliconing the top of the backsplash. It will be more important to keep the reveal uniform on front.

spence
08-05-2010, 07:17 PM
If you are going to a fabricator, let them (or you) template the surface and they cut to the template.
I can get Lowe's to make the piece to custom dimensions and I install it myself...saving nearly 40%.

I really don't want to spend 8-900 bucks on a basement bathroom vanity top!

-spence

spence
08-05-2010, 07:21 PM
nobody miters backsplash for granite, formica laminate,corian or any other, so forget mitering inside corners, they should just be simple butt joints.

Usually a template is made for a stone top
it will follow the crooked out of square walls which happens in older homes and sometimes in poorly constructed new homes even.

I assume it must be too small of a job for a fabricator to want to bother coming there to make a template???
So why can't you just make one for him, it's easy to do.

I'm not sure what you mean by option 2 there where you say build up the wall to fit, you mean fair the wall with plaster??? sounds like a lot of extra work to me.

good luck

is this the same bathroom you asked about contractors a long time ago? I guess you're doing it piecemeal.

Yes, I'm finally getting around to finishing the job. We had some terrible water problems this spring that made me drop it for several months. I'd say the water table swamping your basement slab is a bad thing :wall::wall::wall:

If the back splash is made with butt joints, and the angles are irregular then they'd have to be filled. I'd like to avoid this if possible.

-spence

nightfighter
08-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Nope. Backsplash lies on top of the surface. No gaps. 90 degree butt joint. (Be sure to account for thickness of backsplash when cuttin out holes for faucet and sink.)

spence
08-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Nope. Backsplash lies on top of the surface. No gaps. 90 degree butt joint. (Be sure to account for thickness of backsplash when cuttin out holes for faucet and sink.)
I'd think this would be the case if the top was square or you were making up any voids on the wall??? If not why make the top anything other than a rectangle?

Here are some pics of the space. The template in the photo is 29-1/2" wide with perfectly parallel sides. The right side is 20-3/8" to the back wall and the left side is 19-7/8". Note the walls are not of equal length and the counter will be exposed on the left corner. Hence the reason I'm going to make the cabinet myself.

I think any of the options will work, I'm just wondering if one is more "correct".

Also, penny tile is such a bitch. I'm cursing my wife for picking this stuff out, but it does look awesome. There will be a fixed glass panel over 1/2 of the shower curb instead of a curtain.

-spence

Nebe
08-05-2010, 07:49 PM
if it were me, id go artsy... get some nice smooth weathered beach stones and some good mortar and made a custom back splash that will fill in that gap.

Be creative jeff... i know you got it in you.

spence
08-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Here's the penny tile. A little slick but not that bad...Grade 5 pretty cheap from Overstock.com.

-spence

Slipknot
08-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Ahh flood
yes, flood is bad very bad
I had water too, it sucks, first time in 22 years, thought my basement was dry.

OK, so the backsplash meets in the corners and one of those corners is 3/8" out of square in about 20" correct? and you are worried about how the backsplash will come together seeing how it's not at exactly 90 degrees? silicone
don't be so anal unless the granite color is gonna show a miniscul amount and be noticable, but I can't see how it could.
you're overanalyzing it.

spence
08-05-2010, 07:56 PM
if it were me, id go artsy... get some nice smooth weathered beach stones and some good mortar and made a custom back splash that will fill in that gap.

Be creative jeff... i know you got it in you.

We discussed those options. Conclusion was that grout or concrete on a vanity top would be difficult to keep clean.

She doesn't want something cheap.

Solid surface or real material it's the same measurement issue. I'm sure this is easy for a pro, I'm just trying to save a few bucks :hihi:

-spence

nightfighter
08-05-2010, 07:57 PM
For the back, build it out, square cut the counter, and the thickness of the backsplash will cover what you dont build out.

What is the depth of the shorter (left) wall? Is it deep enough to make that the depth of the counter top, and still get the sink and faucet in? Having that stick out like that is gonna bite you in the arse...IMHO of course

spence
08-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Ahh flood
yes, flood is bad very bad
I had water too, it sucks, first time in 22 years, thought my basement was dry.
We had a foundation leak that was draining through a hole in the slab where the old tub drain passed through. When the new drain was installed the hole was filled with concrete and the water had no where to go but into the basement.

I had to sink a sump well below the slab to lower the water table. The people who put this addition on did nothing to mitigate water issues.

OK, so the backsplash meets in the corners and one of those corners is 3/8" out of square in about 20" correct? and you are worried about how the backsplash will come together seeing how it's not at exactly 90 degrees? silicone
don't be so anal unless the granite color is gonna show a miniscul amount and be noticable, but I can't see how it could.
you're overanalyzing it.

Point taken...I might agree :hihi:

thanks,

-spence

spence
08-05-2010, 08:08 PM
For the back, build it out, square cut the counter, and the thickness of the backsplash will cover what you dont build out.

What is the depth of the shorter (left) wall? Is it deep enough to make that the depth of the counter top, and still get the sink and faucet in? Having that stick out like that is gonna bite you in the arse...IMHO of course

I think so. Bathroom counters seem to be 19" and 22" standard depth so I should be ok, although the granite back splash is very thick.

The corner shouldn't be a problem. The door into the space is nearly in front of the sink, and there's enough depth to the room that one shouldn't catch it in the hip...which would hurt.

Thanks again to everyone, this is great feedback :)

-spence

Slipknot
08-05-2010, 08:12 PM
solid surface can be scribed on site even by you if need be, a grinder or even a jigsaw, in the event the template is not exactly what the wall space is. Stone = less forgiving therefore allow room on the template

nice things cost money unfortunately

Slipknot
08-05-2010, 08:13 PM
It does seem to be such a small top to be using a granite backsplash, I would do a tile backsplash if I were you

nightfighter
08-05-2010, 08:16 PM
I can see you are done with rock, and mud.... but you could pad out that left wall, floor to ceiling, which would mirror the other side..... just playing devil's advocate before you order the granite.

Nebe
08-05-2010, 08:41 PM
for $5,000 i will cast you some glass tiles just like the ones I did for one of Steve Wynn's houses in hong hong.. :hihi:

Raven
08-06-2010, 04:18 AM
carpenters use large (meaning wide) cedar shingles to pad out gaps that go from say 3/8's to zero (if and where applicable) if you can hide it ........that is. Just thought i'd add in.... that additional option

spence
08-06-2010, 07:14 AM
solid surface can be scribed on site even by you if need be, a grinder or even a jigsaw, in the event the template is not exactly what the wall space is. Stone = less forgiving therefore allow room on the template
I was going to fabricate my own solid surface top but couldn't figure out where to buy the stuff unless it was ordered online.

It's a pretty simple space, if things are off they can be corrected, not like it's a 10' run of counter.

I sort of agree on the tile backsplash, the sides should be fine but the back might be tight.

-spence

spence
08-06-2010, 07:16 AM
I can see you are done with rock, and mud.... but you could pad out that left wall, floor to ceiling, which would mirror the other side..... just playing devil's advocate before you order the granite.

That would be easy enough. My only concern is that it would narrow the entry right in front of the door. I don't mind it being irregular, it actually opens it up a bit visually.

-spence

spence
10-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Finally got this thing done.

It was an interesting experience as I've never done tile, skim coat or made custom cabinets before. I might not have used proper cabinetry technique but am happy with how they turned out regardless.

Do wish I would have just gutted the room, but I guess some of these lessons you have to just learn by doing.

I now understand how people spend 10+ grand on a simple bathroom. They're a lot of work!

Thanks for everyone's input.

-spence

Slingah
10-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Looks great spence...I like the detail on the doors. Nice touch.

JohnnyD
10-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Looks awesome.

Looking at the shower, do you get any spray outside? Or a chilly breeze?

nightfighter
10-31-2010, 07:24 PM
Always nice when you are happy with the end product. Looks like you put a lot of yourself into it. You did save yourself a lot of dough by having the talent to do it yourself, or even part of it. And as a remodeling contractor, it is satisfying to hear that you can understand how pricing baths and kitchens can get up there fast. There is a ton of unseen detail that goes into making those rooms look and work right.

gf2020
10-31-2010, 09:15 PM
Looks good. Is the step up because the drains for the toilet and shower are on top of the slab? Or are you using a pump?

justplugit
10-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Excellent!! Nice work. :btu:

fishbones
11-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Nice work, Spence! I'm surprised you didn't put more mirrors or a bigger mirror in there, being as vain as you are.:grins:

buckman
11-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Great work Spence! The family should be proud.

RIROCKHOUND
11-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Nice work, Spence! I'm surprised you didn't put more mirrors or a bigger mirror in there, being as vain as you are.:grins:

There is an enlarging fun-house mirror (waste high) to help his ego...

Sea Dangles
11-01-2010, 02:07 PM
waist (?)

RIROCKHOUND
11-01-2010, 02:16 PM
waist (?)

I was implying crotch-high, but trying to stay classy (San Diego)

bathroom looks great in all seriousness Spence. we built one from the studs up last year and it was enough work buying all the cabinets and such!

spence
11-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Looking at the shower, do you get any spray outside? Or a chilly breeze?
Yes, this was a bit of a crapshoot. Given the length of the shower (note, it's tub sized) we tried to get away without a full door. You can't tell from the picture but the tile extends a bit onto the wall for some additional protection and I built the curb up a little higher.

Water outside is minimal, some times a little splash some times none. It's definitely not enough that I'd get a door fab'd which is still an option. I'd rather not spend the money as it would be another 8-900 bucks.

As for chill, we'll see this winter when things are cooler, but it's not an issue yet. I put in a decent size inline vent fan so the exhaust is really good.

-spence

spence
11-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Looks good. Is the step up because the drains for the toilet and shower are on top of the slab? Or are you using a pump?
This bathroom is in the basement of an addition and sits on a slab that's cut into a hill. They put the lav on the step to make room for the waste pipe, as I'd assume they didn't have proper access.

House is a 1920 cottage and the addition (around 1991 I think) was a total hack job. Really bad work. Guys cut every corner they could. They spared every expense...like joist hangers and electrical boxes behind light fixtures :wall::wall::wall:

I've since fixed most of the problems that could actually be a danger, but it still ticks me off.

-spence

spence
11-01-2010, 05:00 PM
There is an enlarging fun-house mirror (waste high) to help his ego...

Reminds me, I need to get a good one to put behind the door. It's the only place in the house will a full length mirror.

Might install a special "shoe only" mirror just for kicks :hihi:

-spence

spence
11-01-2010, 05:03 PM
And as a remodeling contractor, it is satisfying to hear that you can understand how pricing baths and kitchens can get up there fast. There is a ton of unseen detail that goes into making those rooms look and work right.
And so much of it is in the planning before the execution.

When we built our deck my wife didn't understand why the stairs stopped 2-1/2 feet in the air.

Answer: Because in 6 months that's where the ground will be :uhuh:

-spence

spence
02-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Bump for Buck.

-spence

buckman
02-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Bump for Buck.

-spence

Beautiful work Spence. Love the penny tile.