View Full Version : Canal this Morning

JamesJet
08-11-2010, 12:50 PM
I fished the canal this morning -
Here are some highlights:

-Cloud to cloud lightning storm out to the east around 3:30-5AM
-Nice to see bait around
-Saw my first standing wave / wall of water after a tug pulled a large ship through. It looked like the Monomoy rips.
-Got angry with a few boaters who were fishing in the fog right in front of me so I called the Army Corp on them- but they were closed - any idea who you should call?
-Later saw the same boat get busted and heard they say you'll get it in the mail so it sounds like they got more than a warning
-Increased my Fishing / Catching % for the year (no skunk for me today)
-Met a few great guys from the board
-Took the plunge and bought a Sebile - these things are seriously an ABC after school special "try it you like it, everyone is using them...."

Overall a great morning!

JohnnyD
08-11-2010, 01:46 PM
-Got angry with a few boaters who were fishing in the fog right in front of me so I called the Army Corp on them- but they were closed - any idea who you should call?
I generally call Mr. 2oz Spro Jig. "Oops, sorry. You shouldn't be fishing there and I didn't see you through the fog."

Our canal gear is generally much beefier than theirs. I've been curious how a tug-of-war would turn out if I happen to snag their line.

tysdad115
08-11-2010, 02:21 PM
James-You forgot to mention you landed a serious fish. Good to meet you.

JohnR
08-11-2010, 03:01 PM
-Cloud to cloud lightning storm out to the east around 3:30-5AM - Very cool light show peaking through the fog. Backed up by the frequent meteors.

-Got angry with a few boaters who were fishing in the fog right in front of me so I called the Army Corp on them- but they were closed - any idea who you should call? - no idea who to call but I think the first one was running east without lights - not that they'd do much good.
-Later saw the same boat get busted and heard they say you'll get it in the mail so it sounds like they got more than a warning - :rotf2:
-Increased my Fishing / Catching % for the year (no skunk for me today) - No skunk, single fish.
-Met a few great guys from the board - met a few, not sure If i'd say great (just kidding :tooth: )

One note to add, about 4:30 ish or so 5 kids on skateboards were tooling west than east when I heard them discussing, rather loudly, that they were going to knock over one of the Porta-Pottis. I was able to get out a semi-menacing "NFW", leave them alone. They left it alone, which I 'spose is good because someone biked down quick to do a bowl hover. For future reference, the white LEDs light those puppies up with an eerie effect.

Mike P
08-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I fished the canal this morning -
Here are some highlights:

-Cloud to cloud lightning storm out to the east around 3:30-5AM
-Nice to see bait around
-Saw my first standing wave / wall of water after a tug pulled a large ship through. It looked like the Monomoy rips.
-Later saw the same boat get busted and heard they say you'll get it in the mail so it sounds like they got more than a warning
-Increased my Fishing / Catching % for the year (no skunk for me today)
-Met a few great guys from the board
-Took the plunge and bought a Sebile - these things are seriously an ABC after school special "try it you like it, everyone is using them...."

Overall a great morning!

They'll get the summons in the mail from the Coasties. My understanding--right from the field officer in charge of the Canal office--is that no one in the Corps of Engineers CCC office has law enforcement authority. They probably took his information and will report it to the USCG--which is a law enforcement agency.

From what I understand, the Rangers' trucks aren't even supposed to have those blue bubblegums on them--blue is reserved for police in Mass.

tysdad115
08-11-2010, 03:20 PM
One note to add, about 4:30 ish or so 5 kids on skateboards were tooling west than east when I heard them discussing, rather loudly, that they were going to knock over one of the Porta-Pottis. I was able to get out a semi-menacing "NFW", leave them alone. They left it alone, which I 'spose is good because someone biked down quick to do a bowl hover. For future reference, the white LEDs light those puppies up with an eerie effect.[/QUOTE]

Agreed John, they went by us twice too. I had a thought whenever I was out at that time at that age I was definately up to no good. I watched them closely ride by the bikes. Wish I knew you were there, I could have introduced myself.

BigFish
08-11-2010, 03:23 PM
We saw and heard those "F"in kids! That time of night/morning they are up to no good! I heard them talking about knocking something over! Guys for future reference if you ever have a problem and you know the guys fishing either side of you or further......shout their name if you need help! :uhuh:

Swimmer
08-11-2010, 04:15 PM
From what I understand, the Rangers' trucks aren't even supposed to have those blue bubblegums on them--blue is reserved for police in Mass.

I have the email address of the fellow in charge, when I asked him for the police number in case of emergency he shut my access off for the day. I was going to call Lynch's office and ask them why no phone number on the trucks. They are a joke. Gives many people a false sense of security when they would never respond to any call for help.

Swimmer
08-11-2010, 04:16 PM
It was nice meeting you as well Jimmy.

Andy, we'll have to run into each other at some point.

Swimmer
08-11-2010, 04:17 PM
You guys didn't notice, one of those kids this morning was a girl. You are all getting a little slow on the uptake fella's.

BigFish
08-11-2010, 04:21 PM
All I saw was %$%$%$%$bags!

JamesJet
08-11-2010, 05:01 PM
It was the coasties that finally got them. I just wasn't sure if thats who I should have called or not. I 411'd the ACOE as I just figured they would have jurisdiction over the whole waterway.

Saw/heard those knuckleheads as well, that's one thing that worries me about low tide is you are so far away from your bike. The fog is strange in that it really makes sound travel. I could hear what people were saying from across the canal. Its good you actually heard their plan and foiled it.

Andy,

Yeah I wasn't going to brag, but that fish was a personal best for me. Your fish was nothing to laugh at either...

afterhours
08-11-2010, 05:17 PM
:wall: and i was going to go this am.....tomorrow :). feel free to pm intel...

Swimmer
08-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Hey Don, the replacement pink pencil and the new gray one both work fine I'll have you know.

ProfessorM
08-11-2010, 06:29 PM
lightning was cool that is stayed out east. The nite before it chased me off the water at 2 am and the rain was so heavy I couldn't even see the cans in the channel, except when the vivid lightning light up the whole sky. Very scary stuff. I took a gamble and I paid for it. 1 hour later flat calm and perfect.

Mike P
08-11-2010, 07:07 PM
I have the email address of the fellow in charge, when I asked him for the police number in case of emergency he shut my access off for the day. I was going to call Lynch's office and ask them why no phone number on the trucks. They are a joke. Gives many people a false sense of security when they would never respond to any call for help.

Bourne PD is (508) 759-4451.

Or #5 speed dial for me ;)

You can always dial 911 in case of an emergency, but my understanding is that all 911 calls from the Canal area go to the MSP dispatcher in Middleboro, who then notifies the proper response agency--calling BPD direct is probably going to get a faster response.

The east end, past the power plant and fish pier, is actually in the Town of Sandwich, so calling Bourne won't help.