View Full Version : Where are the little bass?

JoeBass
08-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Fished southern Maine for 2 weeks. Got back last weekend. Caught over 35 Stripers with my son. Now we don't normally get big ones like a lot of the ones on this board, we ALWAYS catch plenty of 15-24 inch fish on our fly rods and plugs in the estuaries , in the ocean, in the tidal rivers. This year every single fish was between 24 and 30 inches. (I know, small by many standards) But for the first time in 20 years, not one really small fish. We uasually get lots. Anybody else see this? Anyone know if this just happens sometimes?

nightfighter
08-20-2010, 11:28 AM
They are in residence here outside of Salem and Beverly harbors. Big schools of them mixed in with larger fish in morning and evening blitzes. We've had all sizes here at some point this season, from little dinks to 40#. (But no pogies to speak of...)

Sea of Atlas
08-20-2010, 02:28 PM
24 to 30" is the average for Maine this year, however more recently I have found a school with lots of smaller fish 15" to 22". For me 3 to 5 years ago there were a lot more shorts around in bigger numbers, not sure of the cause, that seems open for debate.

tattoobob
08-20-2010, 03:05 PM
24 to 30" is the average for Maine this year, however more recently I have found a school with lots of smaller fish 15" to 22". For me 3 to 5 years ago there were a lot more shorts around in bigger numbers, not sure of the cause, that seems open for debate.

It's because all the 15 to 22 inch fish grew up now they're 24 to 30 inch fish, and a couple of years of bad yoy leaves no small fish

ThrowingTimber
08-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Come fish with me you'll be lucky if we find any over 24 inches.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
08-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Fished southern Maine for 2 weeks. Got back last weekend. Caught over 35 Stripers with my son. Now we don't normally get big ones like a lot of the ones on this board, we ALWAYS catch plenty of 15-24 inch fish on our fly rods and plugs in the estuaries , in the ocean, in the tidal rivers. This year every single fish was between 24 and 30 inches. (I know, small by many standards) But for the first time in 20 years, not one really small fish. We uasually get lots. Anybody else see this? Anyone know if this just happens sometimes?

Doesn't happen sometimes. It happens when the YOY index sucks. Like it has for the past couple of years. We are depleating a finite resource. Soon it will be a moratorium fishery with no keeping and all catch and release.
You guys laugh at us that have been saying this for the last few years. You kill all the Big Girls and pretty soon there are no dinks because there are no eggs getting laid.

RISAA has a poll going right now to see what the majority wants. I am a 1 fish 36" like we had coming out of the 80s. It brought the stocks back. From what I am seeing there are a lot of guys agreeing with me.

tattoobob
08-20-2010, 04:30 PM
I agree too Paul

Sea of Atlas
08-20-2010, 04:36 PM
It's because all the 15 to 22 inch fish grew up now they're 24 to 30 inch fish, and a couple of years of bad yoy leaves no small fish

Understood. By cause I mean why does it seem that Maine does not have the numbers of small fish that are being reported in much larger populations elsewhere? If a couple of bad yoy is causing reduced numbers in Maine then I would assume that would affect the numbers that are being reported elsewhere. I still have a lot to learn about migratory factors but I guess being on the fringe in Maine I'm just going to have to learn to be more migratory myself.

bassballer
08-20-2010, 04:36 PM
1 @ 36" it worked once. why change it

JakeF
08-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Understood. By cause I mean why does it seem that Maine does not have the numbers of small fish that are being reported in much larger populations elsewhere? If a couple of bad yoy is causing reduced numbers in Maine then I would assume that would affect the numbers that are being reported elsewhere. I still have a lot to learn about migratory factors but I guess being on the fringe in Maine I'm just going to have to learn to be more migratory myself.

Maine, being at the north end of the migration, will logically see the effects of bad YOY #s before most other areas, especially considering the dismal spawning results in the Kennebeck.

Take a look at this graph put out recently by the ASMFC.

http://www.stripercoastsurfcasters.us/docs/add2fig3.jpg

This is a snapshot of the estimated TOTAL coastal numbers.
In 1988 the Recruitment (YoY) was at approx. 5 million fish. During that same year, the Female SSB (Spawning Stock Biomass) was also right at 5 million fish. So in 1988 you have biomass of approx. 10 million pounds of spawning females, and end up with an additional 5 million YoY fish as a result.

In stark contrast is the year 2007. In 2007, we had an estimated 120 million pounds of Female SSB, yet we had a Recruitment level of only 5 million fish, same as 1988.

That's scary to me... and just another indication that something is seriously wrong in the spawning grounds....

During the recent Rhode Island hearing on Addendum II to Amendment 6, I asked Ms. Meserve of the ASMFC, and the RI appointees to the ASMFC, about this specifically and asked if they could give us any information on why the recruitment level is SO low, given the current level of female Spawning Stock Biomass.

They did not have an answer for me. Ms. Meserve DID speculate that it is most likely due to environmental issues in the spawning grounds and confirmed that the fishery is NOT being replenished at anywhere close the the same rate at which it is being depleted, as indicated by the dropping red line on the graph above showing the TOTAL abundance of striped bass in coastal waters.

Bronko
08-21-2010, 07:44 AM
I am with you Paul, 1 @ 36 has worked before, and worked well. It is at least a starting point and they can head in either direction as they see fit. But lets put it in action NOW!

luds
08-21-2010, 08:08 AM
1 @ 36" it worked once. why change it

I'm for it as a step in the right direction but the disease and massacres down south make me doubtful that bumping the size limit will save them.