View Full Version : Same old story

stripermaineiac
08-22-2010, 11:36 AM
I've been watching several of the post on this and some of the other sites and had to chuckle. In the early 80's it was about the same . All the sportfisherman and the clubs were in favor of cut backs and reduced limits but at the same time the commercials kept pushing for more an more.Nothing was done to change things till they bottomed out. Bob Pond would try at every meeting to talk sence into an industry run by greed. Well here we are again. I reread some of the notes and minutes that Bob and several of us kept from these meetings and not surprisingly the intent is still pretty much the same.as long as there's a buck to be made nothing will be done as many within our own ranks will continue to play both sides of the issue to keep their profits coming and try to make the sportfisherman the bad guys. We are our own worst enemy in that we trust ourselves way too much.
I've talked with several politicians to see what it would take to get a coastwide initiative passed to scroll back the limits on the stripers before we get to the 80's again. The reply is the same as back then. Unless the clubs all get together with the commercials no politician in good faith will back a bill to do this.
So the ball is in our court but we can't keep playing it here. we need to meet -all the club reps- get something together and then meet with the comercials and work out an agreement to take to the politicians. If we don't well we will relive the old days again,moratoriums and all. this time the fish might not get the chance to come back. Ron:wall::smash:

MakoMike
08-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Yeah, Its all the commercials fault even though recreational fishermen catch almost 90% of the fish.

stripermaineiac
08-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Yup your right. Same old story. i still haven't heard any of the commercials say that they'll cut back. yet on every sportfishing site you go on there is a huge number of sportsmen saying that a cut back is needed and they'll happily do it. Shame the commercials still want more.Look at the RISSA site,SOL and the Jearsy and New York sites. Cut backs and stricter limits being recomended by the sportfishermen. So where are the Commercials . Same place they were in the 70's an early 80's. Saying it's not their fault aand can they have some more of the resorse need more money.I've kept 2 fish so far this yr. How many have you kept?And I fish a lot.We all need to cut back and not just to put more money in some part time commercials vacation fund. Ron

JohnnyD
08-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Some of the Commercials on this site are obvious examples of it. For instance, the ones stating that they support the ASMFC proposal to increase the commercial take.

Some will always be in favor of more commercial take to pad their wallets today, at the risk of not having any fish tomorrow.

Adam_777
08-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Yeah, Its all the commercials fault even though recreational fishermen catch almost 90% of the fish.

Prove it.Scientifically if you could.Clear it up for the rest of us.:confused:

redlite
08-22-2010, 08:13 PM
I play both sides of the coin.
Sadly, I do rely heavily on the scant income I earn from commercial fishing from SHORE. Yes, I do have a "real "job, but if it wasn't for the few bucks I am able to earn out fishing, I would not be able to fish the way I do and still pay my bills. I have never made a profit. I have been doin it since I was 18 yrs old when JT first showed me the ways of comm'n the backside of the cape.
That said, I remember the days of very few bass. We fished all the time growin up, but mostly all we caught were blue fish, and that's what we ate, and that's why I don't even eat fish.
As for when they had the limit at 36 inches, I remeber how proud I was when I finally got one.
I was actually very happy when they first put the limit at 2 fish, as it made the trips to the cape worth it. everyone I know wants fish, but they don't wanna catch them and they want them filleted. So many times i would make the hour and a half ride down, get out of the car, make 3 casts, and bang a big fish. Great, I was done if it was one fish. Never throw it back cause you may not get another one all nite.
Being able to take 2 fish Made it worth it.
I commercial fished a boat hard for a few years and we killed a lot of fish. There were also plenty of days of 14 hours of nothing.
As my great mentor TC always said, the most common denominator on his slips was "0".
Now I am out there almost every nite( well, not this year), but even still, I do not personally see any danger of the the bass stocks crashing again. Fish move and change their set up areas. You need to too.
Would a one recreational fish limit help? I absoluetly believe so. At this point in life, I am all for one fish at 36 inches.
Should they increase Mass's comm take? I absolutely feel they shouldn't.
I am not a bible thumpin advocate for the fish. Game fish status would never get a vote from me.
I fish to catch big fish and kill them. The bigger they are, the more of my friends and family i can help feed out of each fish. More bang for the buck.
Hate me for how i view it, but that's the way i feel. I am passionate about striped bass fishing. I don't even fish for anything else. My life and moment to moment thoughts revolve around catching striped bass.
However as much as I hate how our government "protects" us from so much, i am glad that they do something to try and protect this resource, as screwed up of an approach as they may take, at least it is SOME step, and that there are so many people that are more passionate and devoted than I to watching out for them.

BMEUPSCOTTY
08-22-2010, 08:18 PM

recs catch 90% of the fish? No kidding... how many com guys are fishing for bass outside of the com season?? Do you think recs KILL 90% of the fish KILLED during a season??? I don't think so.....

Green Light
08-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Where's the data? That is, where can we find accurate and reliable data on stripped bass stock levels over the years? I ask because it's easy to get emotional about the issue and start drawing conclusions based on what we see or do not see on the short stretches of shore line we fish. The striper cost runs from Maine to North Carolina.

Raven
08-23-2010, 04:17 AM
flounder at Bj's is around a dollar per pound

Mr. Sandman
08-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Fishing laws across the board must change. Comm fishing methods must change. Personally I believe that the oceans can not support indiscriminate fishing methods. (dragging, gill netting,purse seining etc) because of its wasteful by-catch discard. I think R&R comm fishing is OK because it is selective and does not take every last fish in a school...but is not managed worth a damn.

As for 90% of fish are taken by recs. I don't believe it. Most bass fishing by recs is largely C&R nowadays. The assumptions used to support that number are way off base and decades old. The "lic" is suppose to clear up this matter but I doubt it will do much of anything.

I believe the total bass KILLED (not just sold thru the quota) by ALL comm fishing (netting by-catch discard, illegal, undersized, EEZ fish, yoyo rig mortality, and charter boats (which are a comm enterprise) etc) exceeds the rec catch today by a wide margin. Most recs don't fish that often and most don't catch squat. The estimates are bogus. But all this is just anecdotal, from my observations, so take it for what it is worth. The only fact is that the reproduction rates are declining for the last decade and the catch rate is also declining further the "condition" or health of the fish is also declining.

IMO at the current rate, Bass fishing will collapse again. Actually I am looking forward to the collapse just to say I told you so goddamnit!

Nothing will change. We do not learn from history or mistakes. Ron is right, the comm "user group" was pushing for no change and increases during the previous collapse. I remember the shouting and arguments at those meetings. It was like trying to take a gun away from an I-rate NRA member...over my cold dead body. The same thing is happening now. Nothing is changing.

The amount of illegal %$%$%$%$ going on with bass up and down the coast is so far out of control is is laughable and can not be policed. The ONLY solution for coast wide control is...Gamefish status and that is why I support this option. I also support 1@36 for recs with major fishery re-building efforts in the forage fish depts.

What cracks me up about the comm's perspective is they of course are in both user groups...and while they support 1@36 for recs...want no change in the 30/day@ 34 for comm.:biglaugh:

IMO there should be no comm fishery in any fishery that is declining or is not stable and growing.
BTW...this rec has taken 1 bass home this year so far.:fishin:

Joe
08-23-2010, 05:55 AM
The Sunnis and Shiites will work together for a common goal before commercial and recreational fishermen.

jmac
08-23-2010, 06:19 AM
I believe the total bass KILLED (not just sold thru the quota) by ALL comm fishing (netting by-catch discard, illegal, undersized, EEZ fish, yoyo rig mortality, and charter boats (which are a comm enterprise) etc) exceeds the rec catch today by a wide margin

I am pretty sure that charter boat mortality is tabbed as recreational fish by ASMFC...and that is why a portion of the rec mortality figures are high; no one ever seems to mentioned that in the rec vs comm controversy. Most charter customers aren't going to release their catch after paying their fees. I have nothing against the charter industry ( I know many); it just has to be reported on the number of fish they catch (from Virginia to Maine)....and I am sure they are totally against 1 fish per day bag limits...it would kill their already tenuous situation (economy/fuel, i.e., etc)...I don't think many patrons would pay upwards of $800 to charter a boat for 1 fish each....

There are many economic/social issues and slants involved with the striped bass fishery industry (and it is an industry); because of its recovery it HAS become the fish of note on the East coast...everybody fishes for them at the expense of most others...(fluke, bottom fish, tuna, bluefish)....

Also, the striped bass has been a commercial fishery since the pilgrims bartered with the indians (a little poignant humor here)

Raider Ronnie
08-23-2010, 06:32 AM
I got to laugh at all the bad talk against the commercial & charter guys killing fish.
How many of you same guys are in the OTW striper cup and are killing the biggest fish you can, for what ?
A STUPID TROPHY !
And to say I'm better than you !

Joe
08-23-2010, 06:39 AM
I think there's some prizes too.

Typhoon
08-23-2010, 07:01 AM
I bet the dragger discards dwarf the rec vs commercial mortality issue.

hundreds of thousands of lbs wasted

JohnR
08-23-2010, 07:06 AM
And camaraderie ;)

Anyway. We do have some serious issues to be concerned with and to adddress before this becomes a crash. We're not there yet and a crash can certainly be avoided.

What we have:

A biomass with a declining but still in ASMFC's healthy range.

A less overall rec take down since 2004 though increasing.

A numbers unknown in poaching, rec & comm, that is not quantified on the numbers.

We have a significant concern on the effects of Mycobacteriosis and what that might do to the stocks in the near future.

Alone, the Myco should prompt discussion to reduce take so the population is more survivable.

MAKAI
08-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Can someone convince me that charter boats by their very definition are not commercial.
:stir:

jmac
08-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Can someone convince me that charter boats by their very definition are not commercial.

...but they take recreational guys out fishing...hence the desigination by ASMFC as recreational catch...

There was a move, years ago, by the delegates (my good friend was the RI delegate then) to classify them as their own quasi- commercial group, but failed to pass.... (probaly because it would limit them to a hard quota)

ProfessorM
08-23-2010, 07:45 AM
I would never,ever, be in favor of an increase. I would be in favor of a 5 fish a day and half the total quota now. I would also want a 1 fish at 36" for recs. That is my opinion for what it is worth. I am sure that would piss off both user groups. I don't rely on this for my living though so someone that does will have a different agenda. There are so many different options that could be put into play to pacify each user group but levelheaded people will have to be involved to accomplish that and each group would have to make concessions and I don't hear anything that would make me feel like that is ever going to happen so I'll just sit on the sidelines and wait until some people with some knowledge greater than I can solve this long downward spiraling problem. I don't ever see both major user groups ever coming together on this problem so sadly I guess we will have to experience the non existence of bass to finally iron this out, and even that sernerio probably won't get it done.

CowHunter
08-23-2010, 07:49 AM
:stir:

IT IS REALLY REALLY SIMPLE.... IN NO STATE DOES A CHARTER BOAT / HEAD BOATS CATCH COUNT TOWARDS ANY COMMERCIAL QUOTA!!! SECOND THEY ABIDE BY A RECREATIONAL LIMIT... They can go out 1,2,3 times a day and KILL their rec limits....

Joe
08-23-2010, 07:49 AM
A big problem is that we are at a point where science is no longer viewed as impartial. (Rightly or wrongly.) People now believe all data is suspect and tilted to whomever financed the findings or paid their science guy to say what for them. Both sides can trot out scientists to support their interests. That's a significant change from the last time the fishery was in decline.

Nebe
08-23-2010, 07:58 AM
IT IS REALLY REALLY SIMPLE.... IN NO STATE DOES A CHARTER BOAT / HEAD BOATS CATCH COUNT TOWARDS ANY COMMERCIAL QUOTA!!! SECOND THEY ABIDE BY A RECREATIONAL LIMIT... They can go out 1,2,3 times a day and KILL their rec limits....
Oh right.. And that's why just about every charter boat out of point Judith that makes 2 trips a day is keeping 2 fish per the captian and mates??
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

MAKAI
08-23-2010, 09:25 AM
When I work a 12 hour shift mating on my friends boat on the weekend s. I don't feel I am " recreational fishing ".
(5am at boat prep, 6am departure 1.5 hr steam, 7 hours fishing, trip back, clean the catch, clean the boat, drive home between 5 and 6 pm)

I KNOW IT'S NOT CLASSICAL COMMERCIAL FISHING, NOR IS IT CLASSICAL RECREATIONAL FISHING, BUT IT IS A COMMERCIAL ENDEAVOR REGARDING FISHING.

And if it takes a good size bite out of the pie.
It needs to have it's own accountability and designation.

That is all I am suggesting.

CowHunter
08-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Oh right.. And that's why just about every charter boat out of point Judith that makes 2 trips a day is keeping 2 fish per the captian and mates??

What they do with those fish is their business..... Is it any different than just regular joe's running out 2-3 times a day keeping their limits? Black market is thriving, its pretty obvious. At least the Comm catch goes to a quota, the rec and charter guys have an unlimited quota!

RIJIMMY
08-23-2010, 09:54 AM
I support the 1 fish rec limit and regardless of all the science/opinions, I believe it cant hurt so why wouldnt we do it?

likwid
08-23-2010, 10:09 AM
BUT IT IS A COMMERCIAL ENDEAVOR REGARDING FISHING.

ding ding ding!
we have a winner!

JohnnyD
08-23-2010, 10:14 AM
What they do with those fish is their business.....

Nope, it's not. If they make 2 trips out/day and the capt/mate keep 2 fish per trip, they're exceeding their 2 fish/day limit and it now becomes every single person who fishes business.

Nebe
08-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Nope, it's not. If they make 2 trips out/day and the capt/mate keep 2 fish per trip, they're exceeding their 2 fish/day limit and it now becomes every single person who fishes business.
Yup. That was my point.

CowHunter
08-23-2010, 10:45 AM

Its a possesion Limit!!!! You cannot have in possesion more than 2 striped bass per angler! That simple...

CowHunter
08-23-2010, 10:47 AM
ding ding ding!
we have a winner!

Not for the guys chartering the vessel... Just the captain and mate...

JFigliuolo
08-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Its a possesion Limit!!!! You cannot have in possesion more than 2 striped bass per angler! That simple...

You absolutely sure about that slick?

"Daily creel limit" means the maximum number of a particular species or group of species a person may legally take in one (1) calendar day while fishing.

chrisjoe13
08-23-2010, 10:51 AM

I think its a "Bag limit", meaning each angler can take 2 fish per day, NOT take as many as wanted if you only possess two at a time (multiple trips per day).

afterhours
08-23-2010, 10:52 AM
broken record here - remove bounty and instant improvment will occur. or at very least cut all sides take by 1/2. talking to johnr the other day and he brought up an interesting point- if the stocks were to grow would there be enough forage fish to sustain them? we gotta work on them too.

Nebe
08-23-2010, 10:54 AM

I don't think so. 2 fish PER DAY is the limit.

To say someone is entitled to go out and take 2 fish, run in to port, ditch the fish, and run out again is patently and unquestionably breaking the law

CowHunter
08-23-2010, 10:54 AM
I think its a "Bag limit", meaning each angler can take 2 fish per day, NOT take as many as wanted if you only possess two at a time (multiple trips per day).

You are not in violation unless you have more than two in posession!

chrisjoe13
08-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Thats tantamount to saying: "you're not in violation unless you get caught".

RIJIMMY
08-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Here is the RI reg. Its pretty vague. I think Cowhunter is basically correct, however it does say "per calendar day". But the key is possess.
If I keep two, then bring them home or give them away. I no longer "possess" them. Per how the reg is written, you can go out and get more.

12.1 Striped Bass Size/Possession Limits/Season in the Recreational Striped Bass Fisheries -- Except as provided in Parts 12.3 and 12.5, no person shall possess in Rhode Island any striped bass which measures less than twenty-eight inches (28") in total length, whether caught within the jurisdiction of this State, or otherwise. Except as provided in Parts 12.3 and 12.5 no person shall possess, per calendar day, more than two (2) striped bass, whether caught within the juris-diction of Rhode Island or otherwise. There is no closed season for striped bass. Compliance with the possession limit aboard vessels will be determined by dividing the number of fish onboard a vessel by the number of recreational fishermen onboard

not saying its wrong or right - but I think if it was in court - Cowhunter would be right.

afterhours
08-23-2010, 11:02 AM
if someone caught 2 bass and took them home and then went out again the same day and killed 2 more- they are a cheat, period.

chrisjoe13
08-23-2010, 11:04 AM
I asked the DEM guys that were at the RISAA show this question and according to them "per calender day" is the key phrase.

At the time I was wondering about fishing past midnight (new calender day) and they said the burden was on me to prove the fish were caught on different days.

JohnnyD
08-23-2010, 11:04 AM

Not that simple at all. Direct from a quick call to Mass EPO: "The possession limit is a daily limit. I know it might be confusing but if we caught someone in the act of transporting fish home, then going back out and keeping more, they can be prosecuted."

So again, those Captains and Mates that keep 2 fish per trip as opposed to per day, are breaking the law and part of the problem.

Nebe
08-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Per calendar day.

End of story

RIJIMMY
08-23-2010, 11:05 AM
if someone caught 2 bass and took them home and then went out again the same day and killed 2 more- they are a cheat, period.

Disclaimer - I am NOT advocating for this, just making a case based on the REG.If you're in a boat and and catch 2 bass and keep them. Then a buddy comes by and wants to bring home some fish, you give him your 2 fish. You no longer possess any bass. You catch 2 more and the same thing happens - say 4 more times.
I dont think you would get busted for "killing" 8 bass if you only possess 2.

Its how the law reads.

CowHunter
08-23-2010, 11:07 AM

Key word "Posess" In either case I cut down fro 2 to 1 fish and it will curb alot of the poaching, make it not worth it.. You will see a difference..

JFigliuolo
08-23-2010, 11:09 AM

There is really no way you can be this arrogant/ignorant. I must assume you are only trying get under peoples skin.

Nebe
08-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Disclaimer - I am NOT advocating for this, just making a case based on the REG.If you're in a boat and and catch 2 bass and keep them. Then a buddy comes by and wants to bring home some fish, you give him your 2 fish. You no longer possess any bass. You catch 2 more and the same thing happens - say 4 more times.
I dont think you would get busted for "killing" 8 bass if you only possess 2.

Its how the law reads.

2 Per %$%$%$%$ing calendar day. You are allowed to possess 2 and only 2 per day. The moment you pass those fish along, you still have to wait got the day to end to posses another 2...

How hard is this to grasp people?????

JFigliuolo
08-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Per calendar day.

End of story

correct. You "possessed" 2. You gave them away. You possessed 2 more. For the calendar day you possessed 4 fish.

CowHunter
08-23-2010, 11:13 AM
There is really no way you can be this arrogant/ignorant. I must assume you are only trying get under peoples skin.

I know what's right or wrong... All I'm saying is that you will not get fined unless you have more than 2 fish in your posession. Why are all those guys running double triple trips???? I'll leave it at that....

Nebe
08-23-2010, 11:19 AM
I know what's right or wrong... All I'm saying is that you will not get fined unless you have more than 2 fish in your posession. Why are all those guys running double triple trips???? I'll leave it at that....

I can steel all the gear off of your boat until I get caught as well.

A thief is a thief is a thief.

Anyone who keeps more than 2 fish is breaking the law. Weather or not they get caught is another story

JohnnyD
08-23-2010, 11:21 AM

Apparently you don't know what's legal or illegal. Basically you're saying that because you won't get fined, it's ok to do. That shoots right to the core of the issue many people have with commercial fishermen.

It may be a slim chance you get *caught and fined* unless you have more than 2 fish, but keeping more than 2 fish per day is illegal, at least according to MA law - plain and simple. Straight out of the MA EPO's mouth.

When money is involved people tend to forget how to count or have a selective interpretation of the law - this goes for all areas of commerce - that's why all those guys are running double and triple trip days.

RIJIMMY
08-23-2010, 11:22 AM
correct. You "possessed" 2. You gave them away. You possessed 2 more. For the calendar day you possessed 4 fish.

I disagree. Once again, please see my disclaimer above. Im not saying its right or wrong, its how the law reads and thats all that matters in court.

If I smoke 20 joints and get pulled over - I dont get arrested for "possesion".

The reg does not say catch or kill, it says possess. 12 guys on a boat - only one guy fishing, how many bass can that boat bring in dead. 24.
Its how many they possess. I agree with Nebe and JF but the law is not written that way. Its a slippery slope.

JFigliuolo
08-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Where's Mike P when you need him???

RIJIMMY
08-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Where's Mike P when you need him???

i was thinking the same thing!

CowHunter
08-23-2010, 11:27 AM
4 guys fishing a boat, 1 guy catches and kills 6 out of 8 fish... Boat is legal when they are stopped, 2 a man... Happens all the time...

CowHunter
08-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Apparently you don't know what's legal or illegal. Basically you're saying that because you won't get fined, it's ok to do. That shoots right to the core of the issue many people have with commercial fishermen.

It may be a slim chance you get *caught and fined* unless you have more than 2 fish, but keeping more than 2 fish per day is illegal, at least according to MA law - plain and simple. Straight out of the MA EPO's mouth.

When money is involved people tend to forget how to count or have a selective interpretation of the law - this goes for all areas of commerce - that's why all those guys are running double and triple trip days.

It's rec guys running double trips that you are talking about and where did I say it's ok??? It's not like Alaska where you stop fishing once you kill the king u want to keep and immediately mark it on you're license... There are alot of technicalities.. I'm well aware of what's going on...No matter what you say your not getting busted unless you have more than your limit in POSSESSION..

JohnnyD
08-23-2010, 11:35 AM
4 guys fishing a boat, 1 guy catches and kills 6 out of 8 fish... Boat is legal when they are stopped, 2 a man... Happens all the time...

Then those 4 guys go home for lunch, head out again for the evening bite and kill another 8 fish - illegal.

There are alot of technicalities.. I'm well aware of what's going on...No matter what you say your not getting busted unless you have more than your limit in POSSESSION..
You seem to have an issue discerning between the legality of an action and how often it occurs. I take a leak in the parking lot before putting my waders on, do it all the time, I'm sure we all do - does that make it legal?

MikeToole
08-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Mass and RI both say 2 fish/per day/per person. Go to there web page.

Now enforcing this is a different story. How can you prove who caught the fish once the boat comes in unless you saw them. I would say many charters fill the limit any way they can. As far as going out twice in the same day, once again if no one sees you your home free. I've seen it occur on party boats fishing for cod.

This is kind of like the Mass commercial license. Pay short money, catch 5 fish, take them home for friends or sell under the table. Unless someone is watching you all of the way you won't get caught. There are ways to use the law to cover illegal activities.

afterhours
08-23-2010, 11:39 AM
i guess it ain't cheating unless you get caught.......morales?

RIJIMMY
08-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Mass and RI both say 2 fish/per day/per person. Go to there web page.

Now enforcing this is a different story. How can you prove who caught the fish once the boat comes in unless you saw them. I would say many charters fill the limit any way they can. I've seen it occur on party boats fishing for cod.

reg is posted above for RI.
It says "possess" 2 fish per day. There is a LOT of room for interpretation in the reg - hence the above banter.

CowHunter
08-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Go out fishing in the evening, catch 2 fish before midnight and 2 more after, come back to the dock with 4 fish explain to the eps how you caught them on two different calander days...

jmac
08-23-2010, 11:47 AM

...and if you attended RIMFC mtgs you would know that that is an issue that has/is being reviewed...check the Marine Council meeting minutes page; sticky issue that RIDEM Law Enforcement is still having legal council review.....

Nebe
08-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Go out fishing in the evening, catch 2 fish before midnight and 2 more after, come back to the dock with 4 fish explain to the eps how you caught them on two different calander days...

Your in possession of 4. Illegal

Slipknot
08-23-2010, 11:50 AM
does the rule read possess 2 per day?
or possess 2 at a time cowhunter?

Nebe
08-23-2010, 11:56 AM
I think #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& hacked into cowhinters account :hihi:

Slipknot
08-23-2010, 12:00 PM
lunchbreak is over

jmac
08-23-2010, 12:09 PM
reg is posted above for RI.
It says "possess" 2 fish per day. There is a LOT of room for interpretation in the reg - hence the above banter.

....and this is why a lot of this has been discussed for years by the RI Marine Fisheries Council...ever since they changed the rod and reel commercial quota to a general category so that the draggers could get in on the action...you should have been at the mtgs for that one.

Anyways, the laws are so convoluted, and have been so "massaged" that, RIDEM law enforcement have trouble understanding them; case in point, half of them do not know what the regs are for recreational baitfishing (menhaden, cast nets, gillnets etc.).

As Kenny and others have stated, it's a slippery slope when it comes to possession language....thru the years I have know several situations where people basically got a "slap on the wrist" because the law was fraught with errors and the judge would agree; in his mind, there were other more important "fish to fry" than questions of excess fish possession (I am in no way condoning this, but telling it like it is). Now when that same judge would try a case involving illegal shellfishing (polluted waters, etc), that DIRECTLY AFFECTED PEOPLE'S HEALTH...whole different story...Clammer can vouch for that...some guys lost boats, licenses ,etc and were even put in jail.

CowHunter
08-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Your in possession of 4. Illegal

I was being sarcastic, although in some states, fisheries you can doc on your license, and it would be legal... The only stink I'm making is some people make a recreational issue, which is a huge problem, guys making multiple trips and killing multiple "legal" limits.. Some people want to take a clear recreational issue, problem, and blame it on commercials...

Nebe
08-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Anyone who is killing bass on a regular basis is the problem.
The real problem however is the " everyone else is doing it, so why don't I " mentality.

Sad

ivanputski
08-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Saw a guy once at the BI ferry in the morning... couldnt wait to brag on all the fish he caught. He was there for a vacation with his family for 4 days, showed me 2 bass in a cooler, and fillets from 6 more fish in the same cooler. 2fish per day, and is now taking them home from his vacation. Now if he was stopped on the spot, He had 8 bass in his possession... the legality of it confused me... I think it would be tough to convict him of anything... Now my issue is with the guy who is at the ferry with 8, talking about how he was there all week, when he was there one night... there is a loophole in the specifics of the law... its too vague.

If you were judged by whats in your possession at the time you are stopped, then every guy ever coming home from Alaska would be handcuffed at the airport with their cooler

Raider Ronnie
08-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Holy crap !
Any of you guys actually work during the day ?

Nebe
08-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Ever since I started keeping 4 bass a day I don't have to work. ;)

Joe
08-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Just tail a couple of charter guys, find out where they stash their fish and rat them out. Otherwise they'll never caught. The DEM does not actually catch anyone doing anything unless it's spoon fed to them. Stake out the premier restaurants too - somehow they've slipped under the radar for the last forty years or so. Funny how they're so selective about who they catch and make such a big deal of it when they do.

jmac
08-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Anyone who is killing bass on a regular basis is the problem.

?????....wow....then there are a lot of problems in the real world.....

Nebe
08-23-2010, 02:33 PM
?????....wow....then there are a lot of problems in the real world.....
yes... which is why the 2 fish a day at 28 needs to go out the window..

Joe
08-23-2010, 02:44 PM
A dead fish, is a dead fish, is a dead fish - how it got dead is less important. Popularizing sport-fishing leads to more dead fish. Bringing a new person to the sport leads to more dead fish. Writing an article with good tips leads to more dead fish. Making and selling highly effective lures leads to more dead fish.
You don't see them floating all together like after a dragger discards by-catch, but they are just as gone.

jmac
08-23-2010, 03:36 PM
A dead fish, is a dead fish, is a dead fish - how it got dead is less important. Popularizing sport-fishing leads to more dead fish. Bringing a new person to the sport leads to more dead fish. Writing an article with good tips leads to more dead fish. Making and selling highly effective lures leads to more dead fish.
You don't see them floating all together like after a dragger discards by-catch, but they are just as gone.

:uhuh:

Fishoholic
08-23-2010, 04:07 PM
1 @ 36" is going to kill a lot of fish...

2 fish between 18-26", one of which can be over 36"..

A slot is the answer. We are NOT the majority of people fishing. While it's not that difficult for most of you guys to catch a 36" bass, the majority find that a BIG fish and MIGHT see one that size in a season. In turn this will making law breaking "poachers" out of people who wouldn't normally break the law. I know probably everyone in here is going to disagree with me and try and beat me with my words but realize this... Not everyone is a sharpie and not everyone can afford to go down to the fish market if they want to eat some fresh fish. :)

Mike P
08-23-2010, 04:32 PM
As for 90% of fish are taken by recs. I don't believe it. Most bass fishing by recs is largely C&R nowadays. The assumptions used to support that number are way off base and decades old. The "lic" is suppose to clear up this matter but I doubt it will do much of anything.

Think so? Come over to the mainland, and come to the Canal in May and June, and watch how many guys leave with two fish over 40" every goddamned day when the run is on.

Watch how many guys strap 2 40"+ fish to their bikes, ride up and down the Canal parading them, and then hit 3 shops for weigh ins and picture taking.

I see very few big fish being released on those plugging tides. And then only by the guys who have already kept two--and a few give away the smaller of the two they've already killed to keep a bigger one. :doh:

I could tell you the names of at least 10 guys who have kept over 30 fish over 20 lbs this season alone, if I wanted to burn them publicly--but the law says they're doing nothing wrong, so I won't.

Mr. Sandman
08-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Just tail a couple of charter guys, find out where they stash their fish and rat them out. Otherwise they'll never caught. The DEM does not actually catch anyone doing anything unless it's spoon fed to them. Stake out the premier restaurants too - somehow they've slipped under the radar for the last forty years or so. Funny how they're so selective about who they catch and make such a big deal of it when they do.

Right on Right on Right on....a comm was fishing on a sat in my neck of the woods. A few nearby fishermen saw this guy stash 10+ bass in a hidden cooler and had a couple others in anther location. They called the EPO, he came out, went right to the anchored boat, spoke to the guy for less than a min, never asked for lic or anything then left. WTF???

The entire enforcement in MA is an utter joke. There are more guys taking fish on non comm days and keeping them until the next day then selling them under several lics's of people who did not fish. SHorts are being sold under the table direct to restaurants and no one is reporting squat. No one has a rec lic, no one is checking anything. As well as bogus buyers and there is a %$%$%$%$load of guys squeezing this fishery for everything they can as fast as they can "gotta get my share"...and then they say the recs are doing the damage.
Are there honest comm fishermen? Yes there are. But there are a lot (I would say MOST) are not.

How many people were checked last week in that pile of 250 boats off Orleans/ Chatham jigging bass? The wait to haul your boat was over 2 hours I heard. There should have been an EPO checking EVERY SINGLE FISHERMAN, (both on the water and at the dock)and the guys who spilt....should be run down and double checked.

GAMEFISH is the ONLY answer as it handles most of the enforcement with far fewer officers.

I am thinking next year I am going out with my cam corder next year and documenting some of this stuff. If you hang around the fleet you see all kinds of %$%$%$%$.

tattoobob
08-23-2010, 04:43 PM
I hope all you people writing about how you feel on a internet fishing site are also writing letters to the powers to be

Just sayin' :smash:

likwid
08-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Ever since I started keeping 4 bass a day I don't have to work. ;)

OH VELLY NICE.
YOU BRINGY MORE TO BACK DOOR
KNOCK 4 TIMES HO HO

Raider Ronnie
08-23-2010, 05:36 PM

"Just tail a couple of charter guys, find out where they stash their fish and rat them out."

Why the hell would you think a charter is going to "stash fish"
People pay us $ to take them out so THEY can take home fish.

Raider Ronnie
08-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Right on Right on Right on....a comm was fishing on a sat in my neck of the woods. A few nearby fishermen saw this guy stash 10+ bass in a hidden cooler and had a couple others in anther location. They called the EPO, he came out, went right to the anchored boat, spoke to the guy for less than a min, never asked for lic or anything then left. WTF???

The entire enforcement in MA is an utter joke. There are more guys taking fish on non comm days and keeping them until the next day then selling them under several lics's of people who did not fish. SHorts are being sold under the table direct to restaurants and no one is reporting squat. No one has a rec lic, no one is checking anything. As well as bogus buyers and there is a %$%$%$%$load of guys squeezing this fishery for everything they can as fast as they can "gotta get my share"...and then they say the recs are doing the damage.
Are there honest comm fishermen? Yes there are. But there are a lot (I would say MOST) are not.

How many people were checked last week in that pile of 250 boats off Orleans/ Chatham jigging bass? The wait to haul your boat was over 2 hours I heard. There should have been an EPO checking EVERY SINGLE FISHERMAN, (both on the water and at the dock)and the guys who spilt....should be run down and double checked.

GAMEFISH is the ONLY answer as it handles most of the enforcement with far fewer officers.

I am thinking next year I am going out with my cam corder next year and documenting some of this stuff. If you hang around the fleet you see all kinds of %$%$%$%$.

Bring your camcorder up to Boston Harbor and I'll point out some orientals who fill their coolers with shorts like we watched happen this past sat & sunday!

Nebe
08-23-2010, 05:45 PM
OH VELLY NICE.
YOU BRINGY MORE TO BACK DOOR
KNOCK 4 TIMES HO HO

Code word ezz "gererah sow"!!!!!

stripermaineiac
08-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Look who gives a damn who gets more and who is worse or better for what they do. We all know there is a problem building. What are we going to do as a group-STRIPER FISHERMEN ALL-to keep it from going where we all know it is going. I fish the coast up an down every yr. I see the trends change constantly. As do a great many of the rest of you.We all see a problem so lets pull our collective heads out of our posteriors and get to gether to fix it before we're all told we can't fish for them.Are we all that stupid and greedy. Christ what's it take the total dimise of the fish.We all help the problem to some extent and we all love catch Stripers so lets fix it.Ron

likwid
08-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Are we all that stupid and greedy.

Yup.

Christ what's it take the total dimise of the fish.

Actually, yeah.

RIROCKHOUND
08-23-2010, 07:33 PM
1 @ 36" is going to kill a lot of fish...

2 fish between 18-26", one of which can be over 36"..

A slot is the answer. We are NOT the majority of people fishing. While it's not that difficult for most of you guys to catch a 36" bass, the majority find that a BIG fish and MIGHT see one that size in a season. In turn this will making law breaking "poachers" out of people who wouldn't normally break the law. I know probably everyone in here is going to disagree with me and try and beat me with my words but realize this... Not everyone is a sharpie and not everyone can afford to go down to the fish market if they want to eat some fresh fish. :)

Logic here...?
"1 @ 36" is going to kill a lot of fish..."
2 fish, 1 small, 1 36" is going to kill less b/c most don't catch that size?

that is EXACTLY why 1 @36" is the answer!!!!!

Sea of Atlas
08-23-2010, 08:52 PM
We all have a duty to protect what we love. I'm willing to be more proactive. No one wants to waste one of the world's greatest gamefish.

MakoMike
08-24-2010, 04:19 PM

Its not just a possession limit, the limit is two fish per day per angler anyone exceeding that is breaking the law.

Charter boats don't sell fish, they provide a fishing platform for recreational fishermen.

If you want to see the Recreational vs commercial kill just go to the ASMFC website.

Poachers suck, whether they sell their poached fish or eat them.

likwid
08-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Charter boats don't sell fish, they provide a fishing platform for recreational fishermen.

But as said before, its a commercial endeavor. You're being paid to put people on fish. They should not be included in the rec category.

Fishoholic
08-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Logic here...?
"1 @ 36" is going to kill a lot of fish..."
2 fish, 1 small, 1 36" is going to kill less b/c most don't catch that size?

that is EXACTLY why 1 @36" is the answer!!!!!

I see where where you are coming from. I really do. However, when I do feel like battling the crowds at one of the often over-crowded bridges by my house I see countless people dead stick with bait and J hooks. I'd be scared to see mortality rates. Most of the fish they are catching are between 16-26".. I'd rather see them get their 2 and leave rather than stay all day throat and gut hooking bass and taking their sweet ass time measuring anything that's over 20 inches. I just think the ratio of clueless people who fish like I mentioned above to responsible ethical anglers doesn't favor a 1@ 36". Slots work..I'm tellin ya.. I've seen it first hand in FL with snook.

RIROCKHOUND
08-24-2010, 07:03 PM
I see where where you are coming from. I really do. However, when I do feel like battling the crowds at one of the often over-crowded bridges by my house I see countless people dead stick with bait and J hooks. I'd be scared to see mortality rates. Most of the fish they are catching are between 16-26".. I'd rather see them get their 2 and leave rather than stay all day throat and gut hooking bass and taking their sweet ass time measuring anything that's over 20 inches. I just think the ratio of clueless people who fish like I mentioned above to responsible ethical anglers doesn't favor a 1@ 36". Slots work..I'm tellin ya.. I've seen it first hand in FL with snook.

Do you REALLY think the same type will leave with 1 at 24"?

FL is a different game. they actually have enforcement.

Fishoholic
08-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Do you REALLY think the same type will leave with 1 at 24"?

FL is a different game. they actually have enforcement.

Actually I said 2 in the slot. and one of those can be over 36 or 38" :)

It's true they have a lot more enforcement but I've seen DEM step it up when they had to. It's all about multiple calls. That's why it's so important that people call. I'm not talking about being a nuisance and calling every 5 minutes, but call..wait an hour and if know one shows have your buddy call. The kind of people that poach at places like those are idiots, they keep coming back to the same spot day after day. When DEM knows about something fishy going on they will do a little long distance recon and move in when the violators keep a blatantly short bass. I've watched this go down twice in the last two years at with different people in different places.

JohnnyD
08-24-2010, 08:47 PM
But as said before, its a commercial endeavor. You're being paid to put people on fish. They should not be included in the rec category.

Bingo-bango!!

jmac
08-24-2010, 09:13 PM

....the fish are being caught by RECREATIONAL fishermen...they DO NOT have commercial licenses; hence, charter boat catches are tallied as recreational...what so hard about that logic??

JohnnyD
08-24-2010, 09:48 PM
....the fish are being caught by RECREATIONAL fishermen...they DO NOT have commercial licenses; hence, charter boat catches are tallied as recreational...what so hard about that logic??

Chartering is a for-profit *commercial endeavor*. I think that is the point some people are trying to get across. Sure, a charter is a glorified boat ride, but money is involved and they are given special exception in some areas of the regulations that aren't given to your typical recreational fisherman.

Your average recreational fisherman that owns a boat isn't taking a group of buddies out every morning, limiting out on fish, returning to the dock to pick up a different set of buddies and limiting out again... and then repeating that 3-6 days/week.

Yes, the regulations currently have grouped charters with recreational fisherman, but any reasonable person that states a charter boat is no different than your run-of-the-mill recreational fisherman is completely out of their mind. They are given special exception with the regs, make money because of the fish and, as such, should be in a regulatory category of their own.

If ASMFC allows another collapse of the fish stocks, no one is going to be paying for "6-hour boat trips around Cape Cod Bay" and charters will be out of business. Their business depends on killing fish for their customers and they should be regulated as such.

jmac
08-25-2010, 07:41 AM
They are given special exception with the regs, make money because of the fish and, as such, should be in a regulatory category of their own

That is what some ASMFC delegates have advocated in the past. But it is a sticky situation to address because it is recreational fishermen who catch/kill the fish...also, because of the economcs of the charter industry, I believe that there has been lobbying against that option.
Then the whole other problem is if they are designated their own category, where does it come from?? The commercial representation will fight against a portion of their quota being lowered by the charter industry, because it has been a traditional recreation-based fishery. Should a portion of the "recreational quota" (which isn't hard capped) be set up for the charter industry, by reducing the estimated catch numbers by lowering rec bag limits?..Then what happens when the charter industry reaches their quota (maybe in the winter, by NC/VI/MD boats)..what do the captains do-stop fishing and move to other species (like R&R comms do)..I am sure that will go over big with the Pt. Jude/Montauk/Chatham fleet....as has been stated many times, everybody is out to protect their own interests, because of the increased socio-economic pressure on the fishery.

The plan in place (Ammendment 6)...may not be perfect, but it is the best we got....

Because no matter what people may think the striped bass is a recovered species....
as indicated below (taken from the ASMFC website)-

"The most recent stock assessment for striped bass was completed in 2009. The update assessment indicated that striped bass are not overfished and overfishing is not occurring. Since 1982, the striped bass population has increased from less than 9 million fish to over 70 million fish in 2004. While abundance has declined some since then, spawning stock biomass (the metric for determining if the stock is overfished) remains well above the threshold and target levels. "

JohnnyD
08-25-2010, 09:54 AM
That is what some ASMFC delegates have advocated in the past. But it is a sticky situation to address because it is recreational fishermen who catch/kill the fish...also, because of the economcs of the charter industry, I believe that there has been lobbying against that option.
Then the whole other problem is if they are designated their own category, where does it come from?? The commercial representation will fight against a portion of their quota being lowered by the charter industry, because it has been a traditional recreation-based fishery. Should a portion of the "recreational quota" (which isn't hard capped) be set up for the charter industry, by reducing the estimated catch numbers by lowering rec bag limits?..Then what happens when the charter industry reaches their quota (maybe in the winter, by NC/VI/MD boats)..what do the captains do-stop fishing and move to other species (like R&R comms do)..I am sure that will go over big with the Pt. Jude/Montauk/Chatham fleet....as has been stated many times, everybody is out to protect their own interests, because of the increased socio-economic pressure on the fishery.

The plan in place (Ammendment 6)...may not be perfect, but it is the best we got....

Because no matter what people may think the striped bass is a recovered species....
as indicated below (taken from the ASMFC website)-

"The most recent stock assessment for striped bass was completed in 2009. The update assessment indicated that striped bass are not overfished and overfishing is not occurring. Since 1982, the striped bass population has increased from less than 9 million fish to over 70 million fish in 2004. While abundance has declined some since then, spawning stock biomass (the metric for determining if the stock is overfished) remains well above the threshold and target levels. "
I never said anything about creating a Charter quota.

With regards to that joke of a report from ASMFC, did you go to meeting in Dedham? The meeting where the girl presenting the information admitted that their stock assessment doesn't include mortality from myco or poaching because they "can't put an exact number on it" and are still "trying to figure out an effective way to model it."

The ASMFC stock assessments are a shame. On top of that, current assessments combined with their projected stock assessments show a declining trend in Striped Bass Abundance - and that's without including mortality from myco and poaching. How much worse are the updated assessments going to be and how much steeper of a declining trend will show when these numbers are included?

As one of my PoliSci professors said to our class back in college, "There is no point in referencing the results from a poll to support your argument, if the data from that poll is flawed."

ASMFC creates these nice elaborate charts, powerpoint presentations and holds these hearings demonstrating the health of the stocks based on data that they know is inaccurate. The girl at the meeting tried to avoid blatantly stating this a number of times.

Nebe
08-25-2010, 10:02 AM
I never said anything about creating a Charter quota.

With regards to that joke of a report from ASMFC, did you go to meeting in Dedham? The meeting where the girl presenting the information admitted that their stock assessment doesn't include mortality from myco or poaching because they "can't put an exact number on it" and are still "trying to figure out an effective way to model it."

The ASMFC stock assessments are a shame. On top of that, current assessments combined with their projected stock assessments show a declining trend in Striped Bass Abundance - and that's without including mortality from myco and poaching. How much worse are the updated assessments going to be and how much steeper of a declining trend will show when these numbers are included?

As one of my PoliSci professors said to our class back in college, "There is no point in referencing the results from a poll to support your argument, if the data from that poll is flawed."

ASMFC creates these nice elaborate charts, powerpoint presentations and holds these hearings demonstrating the health of the stocks based on data that they know is inaccurate. The girl at the meeting tried to avoid blatantly stating this a number of times.

What is not considered is that chaos is job security for a government agency. For example... we could all sit back with a few glasses of scotch and hash out the solution to fix all of the fishery problems in a night- force the implications over a few month and the problem is solved. What a goverment worker never wants to admit is that if they complete their job quickly and solve the problem, they are in effect out of a job. Its not like the hunt for the cure for cancer, where the person is rewarded heavily for his or her findings.... the day that NOAA and ASFMC actually solve all these issues will be the day that 50% of the staff wont have any more work to do. Its all a game and an illusion... or at least thats the way I see it.

MAKAI
08-25-2010, 10:03 AM
In a nut shell the main focus of all concerned is this.

The YOY of the current 110 million pounds of female striped bass is the same as when the total abundance of female striped bass was 40 million pounds.

Of course the bass are above the threshold BUT something is up.

It would behoove all of us to pay attention to this, It now takes 3 times the amount of spawning bass to yield the same YOY as it normally took.

Female biomass has dropped 20% since 2004.

75% of all bass spawn in the Chesapeake.
70% of that is infected with Mycobacteriosis, (a bacterium of a group that includes the causative agents of leprosy and tuberculosis ) not sure of fatality numbers.

All this I got from ASMFC paperwork that they gave out at their public meeting.

We would be myopic to think the abundance of NOW is sustainable as the years go on.

If we can stop acting like our congress we just might be able to get something accomplished.

MakoMike
08-25-2010, 11:55 AM

Sure its a commercial endeavor, but it is not commercial fishing, no more than your bait shop or fuel dock is commercial fishing.Their business depends on fish, but they are not selling fish.

bassballer
08-25-2010, 01:03 PM
I was at a local restaurant a week ago sitting at the bar havinig some beers BS'ing with the bartender. Somehow it came up that I was heading out that night to go fishing with a buddy. He then gave me his card and said if you get any fish give me a call and we'll give you gift certificates or money for fish. Then he said hold on let me check with the chef and see if we need any tongiht. Came back and said they had enough for tongiht but if I caught anything this week to bring it in. Restaurants are an issue. And youd be suprised how many rec fisherman are supplying them.

JohnnyD
08-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Sure its a commercial endeavor, but it is not commercial fishing, no more than your bait shop or fuel dock is commercial fishing.Their business depends on fish, but they are not selling fish.

And the bait shops that have tackle and bait that focuses on striped bass will go out of business just as quickly as charters will when the bass disappear again.

Sea Dangles
08-25-2010, 02:09 PM
The recs generally kill as much as they can,just to kill.
I have a neighbor who has a summer house in Plymouth.He and his family were walking the canal in the spring during a blitz of epic proportions.He was offered fish by people he didn't even know just so they could kill more.Wonderful right?

The comms kill a lot and are sneaky too.
I was in the Fischers Island area fishing last fall when I saw a boat overloaded with people. My host informed me he sees this gentleman frequently out in the area with a similar crew. He will literally take anybody near the dock fishing in order to get max fish per person on his boat. He went on to say he goes out a few times per day. Yeah it adds up.

There is no hope for the fishery.End of story.

MakoMike
08-25-2010, 03:50 PM
I was in the Fischers Island area fishing last fall when I saw a boat overloaded with people. My host informed me he sees this gentleman frequently out in the area with a similar crew. He will literally take anybody near the dock fishing in order to get max fish per person on his boat. He went on to say he goes out a few times per day. Yeah it adds up.

If that guy is selling the fish he isn't commercial he's a recreational poacher!

JakeF
08-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that there is no "real" science behind any of the numbers attributed to recreation fishermen. The numbers reported and used by the ASMFC are pure speculation and not grounded in reality.

When was the last time anyone here was surveyed by any of the reporting agencies with regard to their recreational fishing habits, annual take, and # of fish caught and released recreationally? When was the last time anyone here responded to such a survey honestly?

Who's to say that the recs who do happen to get surveyed are indicative of the recreational fisherman in general? Those folks you see bailing fish at the canal, piss me off, and are in no way representative of me or any of the guys I've ever fished with.

The recs generally kill as much as they can,just to kill.

To generalize recreational fishermen in this way is obsurd, and anyone who makes such a statement is not in touch with reality. Some people acting stupidly during a blitz is not representative of the majority of recreational fishermen coast wide. Period. Some of us, more of us than anyone knows, actually respect the fishery and have it's best interest at heart.

I fish on average 2-3 nights a week. I have followed the migration, spring & fall from New York to Maine several years in a row. I know how to catch fish from the surf and am not inexperienced at doing so. I took 3 fish home last season. I have not killed one yet this season,,, but I probably will keep one for the table before the season is over. I have released multiple fish over 50lbs, and countless 40s. I represent a coastwide group of likeminded surfcasters who are true sportsmen, and am not afraid to stand up for what I believe and know to be true (those of you who were at the ASMFC meetings in both MA and RI can attest to this). I'm am not speaking out of school here.

Spawning recruitment the last couple years, according to ASMFC data, has been as low as it was back in the mid to late 80's, in spite of a much higher female spawning stock biomass. The ASMFC cannot say why. It is obvious to any objective observer that it is indicative of serious issues in the spawning grounds. The total coastal abundance has been dropping since 2004, and will only continue to decline if something is not done to 1. improve/protect the spawning grounds, 2. reduce the harvest of BOTH the recreational and commercial sectors, 3. protect the forage fish upon which striped bass feed and not allow them to continue to be plundered, 4. find a way to stop the spread of mycobacteriosis.

Too many people do not understand the severity of the threat mycobacteriosis poses to the striped bass fishery. Some studies have indicated that it is 100% fatal within 5 years of contraction. If this statistic is even close to being correct, we will be losing MORE THAN 50% of ALL striped bass, coastwide, within the next 5 years. Even if it is only fatal in 75% of cases, this WILL crash the spawning stock biomass below the ASMFC's threshold, even if all striped bass harvest was halted TODAY. If you think I'm crying wolf here, prove me wrong.

We need to be working together for the good of our beloved striped bass. We need to stop the bickering and in-fighting and look at this objectively. Put aside your selfishness and your own agendas, take a good hard look at the facts.

jmac
08-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Too many people do not understand the severity of the threat mycobacteriosis poses to the striped bass fishery.

The subject of mycobacteriosis always seems to come up in any discussion of the state of the striped bass fishery. I do not dispute the claims of scientists and others when this discussion comes up. My thoughts are the following.

I have been fishing for striped bass for a long time (commercially AND for the fun of it also...in the spring-plugs, plastics, flies). I would say on the average, I catch upwards of 500-1000 bass a year, i.e., sell what I can legally, let the rest go. I may have seen 2 or 3 cases of fungus affected fish in all the years I have been fishing. All others are healthy, clean, great coloring, etc. The past couple of years most of the fish are fat (not racers like a few years ago)....all these fish have been caught in MA, RI. Most of the fishermen I know are as productive as I am (if not more)...and in all cases, they agree with my observations.

What I would like to know, is if anybody else is seeing mycobacteriosis in the fish they are catching....I am not being cynical, I would like to know what others are seeing....

JohnnyD
08-25-2010, 08:20 PM
What I would like to know, is if anybody else is seeing mycobacteriosis in the fish they are catching....I am not being cynical, I would like to know what others are seeing....
Not everyone with a cold presents with the sniffles and a cough.

From what I understand, the red sores on fish are a sign of an advanced infection.

Now, to be fair, I still think ASMFC is incompetent and their reports are pathetically inaccurate. With that in mind, I guarantee their estimates for a 70% infection rate are off. Let's say they are off by a factor of 2, I'd still say a 35% or so infection rate is pretty significant.

Either way, 70% or 35%, there will be a significant impact on mortality furthering an already downward trend in abundance. The only difference is that one will probably thrust the bass to critical levels while the other may almost completely wipe out the species.

inTHERAPY
08-25-2010, 09:02 PM
The subject of mycobacteriosis always seems to come up in any discussion of the state of the striped bass fishery. I do not dispute the claims of scientists and others when this discussion comes up. My thoughts are the following.

I have been fishing for striped bass for a long time (commercially AND for the fun of it also...in the spring-plugs, plastics, flies). I would say on the average, I catch upwards of 500-1000 bass a year, i.e., sell what I can legally, let the rest go. I may have seen 2 or 3 cases of fungus affected fish in all the years I have been fishing. All others are healthy, clean, great coloring, etc. The past couple of years most of the fish are fat (not racers like a few years ago)....all these fish have been caught in MA, RI. Most of the fishermen I know are as productive as I am (if not more)...and in all cases, they agree with my observations.

I'll show my ignorance here.....always learning. To the question: While I spend far less time on the water than you do, consequently not catching as many as you do, I do usually catch. For the past 6 years that I've been fishing hard, I have not seen the signs of the disease. The bass that have the high percentage of infection are Chesapeake bass, yes? Are the chesapeake bass the fish we see here all season, part of the season, never? Art

CowHunter
08-25-2010, 09:13 PM
I'll show my ignorance here.....always learning. To the question: While I spend far less time on the water than you do, consequently not catching as many as you do, I do usually catch. For the past 6 years that I've been fishing hard, I have not seen the signs of the disease. The bass that have the high percentage of infection are Chesapeake bass, yes? Are the chesapeake bass the fish we see here all season, part of the season, never? Art

Art, out of all the bass put on my boat in a season I may only see 2 or 3 that have sores mentioned... Hate to say it but they are all caught in the NJ / NY Bight area... I fish the Chesapeke and have not caught any that show symptoms down there in the last few years...

JohnnyD
08-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Art, out of all the bass put on my boat in a season I may only see 2 or 3 that have sores mentioned... Hate to say it but they are all caught in the NJ / NY Bight area... I fish the Chesapeke and have not caught any that show symptoms down there in the last few years...
Key words in there: "that show symptoms". You can't always look at a person and know if they are sick or not, you can't just look at a bass to know if it has myco or not.

From a Virginia Institute of Marine Science FAQ about Mycobateriosis (my emphasis added):
Mycobacteriosis of Chesapeake Bay striped bass is predominantly a visceral disease, infecting organs such as the spleen and kidneys. Internal signs of the disease typically include small grayish white nodules called granulomas in these organs. A small percentage of the infected fish also exhibit unsightly shallow, rough-surfaced, reddened, or darkly pigmented skin ulcers.
We have all probably held tons of fish infected with myco and had no clue because only advanced infections have outward signs.

The VIMS FAQ also states a 76% infection rate of Chesapeake Bay bass as of 2001.

According to tagging done by ASMFC, a majority of the bass we see are from the Chesapeake Bay.

If anyone is interested, http://www.maine.gov/dmr/recreational/documents/mycoFAQ.pdf

jmac
08-26-2010, 05:57 AM
We have all probably held tons of fish infected with myco and had no clue because only advanced infections have outward signs.

...Okay, thats what I needed to know-if the ALL stages of the disease is visible to the naked eye; hopefully, more research will give a better picture of the effect of it on the striped bass fishery.

inTHERAPY
08-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Key words in there: "that show symptoms". You can't always look at a person and know if they are sick or not, you can't just look at a bass to know if it has myco or not.

From a Virginia Institute of Marine Science FAQ about Mycobateriosis (my emphasis added):

The VIMS FAQ also states a 76% infection rate of Chesapeake Bay bass as of 2001.

According to tagging done by ASMFC, a majority of the bass we see are from the Chesapeake Bay.

If anyone is interested, http://www.maine.gov/dmr/recreational/documents/mycoFAQ.pdf

thanks, i did not know that

numbskull
08-26-2010, 12:07 PM
What we really need is a better public advisories regarding the PCB concentration in large striped bass. This should include warnings on restaurant menus and at counters in fish stores. These large fish contain chemicals that damage brains and cause cancer. The levels vary from fish to fish and can be shockingly high (so using an average doesn't protect you). The bigger the fish, the worse it is (how many kids are getting a dose from all those 60lb fish? Would you feed one to your family?). Shouldn't consumers be aware of this? Why is MA the only state without an advisory? Most other states have one......but the public is probably unaware. So why no warnings on restaurant menus and at the counters of fish stores? Who is benefiting from that policy? Who is being harmed? Fish Consumption Advisory for Striped Bass, Bluefish In Atlantic Coastal Waters - Southern Maryland Headline News (http://somd.com/news/headlines/2009/10081.shtml)

Make that info more public and I think the over-killing issue would shrink quickly.

luds
08-26-2010, 04:31 PM
The recs generally
I have a neighbor who has a summer house in Plymouth.He and his family were walking the canal in the spring during a blitz of epic proportions.He was offered fish by people he didn't even know just so they could kill more.Wonderful right?

This pretty much sums it up for how I feel although I would say many or possbily more than half of recs kill as much as they can,just to kill. Scary but true.