View Full Version : Canyons report

RIROCKHOUND
08-23-2010, 05:20 AM
slow trip. same story for most we talked to out there both east and west of us.

fished mostly alone in W. Atl/Atl Fri and Fri night for some mahi and a lost big fish overnight (sword? we'll never know).
2am Stb wouldn;'t start, fuel issue of some kind (i.e. not getting it from filter to engine... pump, solenoid etc..)

came home on 1 screw 13hr at 8kts.
trolled 80 miles from the deep to the mudhole, through the dump etc.. not 1 knock down. devoid of life right now out there!

Mr. Sandman
08-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Sounds like a tough trip...sorry to hear that. Hope all is well with the boat. On the positive side...think of all the fuel you saved on the run home:)

I know of only one other guy that went out this past weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun) for a two night trip (he was well east of you) and he texted me yesterday, he got 5 yellows and released 2 small yellows along with a few mahi (nothing big) But he was out there 2.5 days and 2 nights, so while it was an OK trip, it was not gangbusters.

I hope to get out one more time this season. I wonder if this weather will shake things up out there?

keeperreaper
08-23-2010, 06:25 AM
Theres some real nice water developing. We'll have to see once the satelitte can get us a clear updated picture.

RIROCKHOUND
08-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Jim:
curious to see what we burned on the ride home for sure.

we heard a tough bite overall. a few boats had scattered balls of fish, and we had found some life at dusk and again overnight, and if we had both screws I think we would have had some fish sat AM. just too long of a steam to f-around on one engine so we headed north at first light.

1 edge trip out of ~18-20? with that boat with engine issues is not a bad % and we're pretty cautious.

hope for at leas

Mr. Sandman
08-23-2010, 07:35 AM
saftey rules out there, no shame in packing it in. Glad your home safely. Would hate to be stuck out there last night and today.

A related getting stuck story (way out there) was wriiten about a good friend of mine whom I fish with often. (this happend a few weeks ago)
http://www.mvtimes.com/marthas-vineyard/article.php?id=1861

saltyric
08-25-2010, 05:50 AM
damn, what a story........