View Full Version : European Soccer Club Season

luds
08-28-2010, 03:32 AM
Anyone else amped? This is my first full season with Fox Soccer and Gol TV. Been live streaming games on ESPN3 too. I think I'm starting to have some vision issues from trying to focus on all the blurry digital. :wall: I don't know how I'm going to balance life, fishing, soccer, and the NFL. Definitely entertainment overload! My DVR is working overtime this weekend now that La Liga is kicking off. Hoping that Jose Marinho gives Real Madrid what they need to get past Barca aka the Spanish National Team. A healthy Kaka would help. :smash: Should be an interesting EPL season also. I hope Chelsea chokes but they look amazing. I'm looking forward to the Manchesters rivalry with the way city is spending. I hope United stick it to them good but they should have a couple great games. :uhuh: Definitely bummed that Everton decided they don't have the cash for Donovan. It was great to see how well he did in the couple months he was over there. I hope he ends up landing with someone but MLS is definitely going to do everything they can to keep them.

mosholu
08-28-2010, 06:13 AM
I think it will take another year for Man City to really start to gel. Too many new players to form a cohesive unit to challenge either man U or Chelsea. They do have an advantage of not playing in the Champions League which will give them a bit more rest for their EPL games. Mancini really has a challenge in managing the squad and keeping all his players happy with playing time. As an Arsenal supporter I do not have much hope that we can effectively challenge unless we get a better keeper. Donovan is an interesting question. He is probably better off being a big fish in a small pond rather than another good winger in the EPL. I am looking forward to a very interesting year!

numbskull
08-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Tottenham has been fun to watch so far. Man City is interesting and should be nasty as the season progresses. Both teams will give Sir Alex headaches. Liverpool is looking like a disappointment. Liking the effort Blackpool is making and hope they pull it off and survive. Chelsea is looking good right now, but I get the feeling Czech, Lampard, and Terry are past their prime and it will show as the season progresses. Hope to see more of that young French kid they showed last season (? some ruling keeps him from playing). He looked very exciting.

luds
08-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Tottenham has been fun to watch so far. Man City is interesting and should be nasty as the season progresses. Both teams will give Sir Alex headaches. Liverpool is looking like a disappointment. Liking the effort Blackpool is making and hope they pull it off and survive. Chelsea is looking good right now, but I get the feeling Czech, Lampard, and Terry are past their prime and it will show as the season progresses. Hope to see more of that young French kid they showed last season (? some ruling keeps him from playing). He looked very exciting.

How about that Tottenham hangover this morning. :confused:

luds
08-29-2010, 03:32 PM
The activity in this thread is stifling. I'll try and inject some life with some Ray Hudson. Enjoy....

YouTube - Ray Hudson - Greatest Soccer Commentator Ever! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS6Np-g_h5w)

luds
09-01-2010, 03:15 PM
This thread is on fire. I think I'm just going to own it BigFish style!

C'mon guys!!!!!!! At least some derogatory comments about soccer please!!!!!! :buds:

numbskull
09-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Some thoughts on the EPL.

I think the best inside mid the US is likely to have going forward will be this kid Holden, who is now with Bolton, and has looked good when I've seen him. It will be interesting to see how he does as the season begins. Sucks that the US resigned Bradley as coach. It means his son will be a fixture for the next cycle...and although he is good, I think we can do better inside.

Curious to see what becomes of Dempsey now that Hodgson has left Fulham. I never thought Dempsey was a particularly reliable midfielder, particularly defensively, but his goal scoring ability keeps getting him on the field. He didn't start Fulham's last game and I wonder if he will have to (or can) improve his game to get significant playing time this year.

As much as I admire Friedel, I'm hoping he picks up some nagging injury that gives Guzman a run in Villa's goal. I'd like to see how he can do.

My wife's team is Newcastle. This guy Carroll looks like the real deal. Their owner is a turd, but I want to see them do well and stay up.

Liverpool is a sad case. Amazing how losing one key player, Xavi Alonso, can start such a downward spiral. They are in deep trouble now with Mascharano gone. Got a better coach, however.

Tottenham looks like a threat to beat anyone, but probably don't have the depth to make a serious run at the top. I think they will be the team most fun to watch this year.

Arsenal looks like a shadow of their former selves.

Man City is going to be very good, I think.

ManU always surprises me. They seem above average but nothing special at most positions, but Ferguson really knows how to assemble a team that functions well together. Rooney is lost right now, but once he gets it back they'll contend.

Chelsea, I'm starting to hate, even without Ballack. But Drogba is amazing, Malouda looks poised for a breakout season, and Essien is a force of nature. I think they'll dominate this year.

As I see it.

Chelsea
Man U
Man City
Tottenham
Arsenal

mosholu
09-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Upfront disclosure: I am an Arsenal supporter.
Chelsea looks great so far but they do not play any one of quality until Man City and the end of the month.
The season is barely three weeks old and the injuries are starting to take their toll around the league but especially at Arsenal. Both Walcott and Von Persie out for at least four weeks will really hurt the goal production. On the positive side Arshavin and Chamak will get all the playing time they need to show they can contribute on a consistent basis. Man City has lost Balotelli and Spurs lost Defoe for a few weeks as well.
I am happy to see Newcastle playing well because they have a very devoted fan base and deserve better than what they have gotten over the last few years. Same with Portsmouth, but I am afraid their race is run and they are headed further down.
Liverpool are in a rebuilding year and I think Hodgeson will sort them out by the second half of the year to keep them in the top ten.
Interesting that Dempsey seems to be out of favor with Mark Hughes, if so he should move in January as there are many teams in the EPL that would be happy to give him first team football.
Finally, it is insanity Mr. Numbskull to ever think that Spurs will finish above Arsenal.

Bronko
09-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Tottenham guy here. Can't stand ManU. City will be tough this year but I think Chelsea is the team to beat.

My Top 5

Chelsea
Man City
Man U
Tottenham
Liverpool

And in the SPL CELTIC over Rangers (the Huns).

mosholu
10-05-2010, 09:14 PM
According to UK papers the owners of the Boston Red Sox have made a "substantial and credible bid" to buy Liverpool FC. There is reportedly one other bidder.

luds
11-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Watching Aston Villa beat up on Man U. Just painful. Nani's diving and Berbatov's constant complaining about poor service makes my blood boil. Hopefully Rooney comes back in good form. Berbatov is a talent but he doesn't create his own opportunities through hustle like Rooney or even Hernandez. I'd like to seem him ride pine for a bit. As I type this Macheta just put one in the the back. Hopefully another coming.

luds
11-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

luds
11-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Looking forward to heading home to watch.......

El Clasico!!!!!!

luds
03-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Me and Euro soccer is becoming like Basswipe and the 24 car. Nobody cares but I'm still going to to post. How about the goals by David Luiz and Ramirez this past weekend? Doesn't get much better. I'm a Chelsea hater but you can't help but like those guys.

I want Man U. to take the EPL title but I kind of hope it comes down to the wire with Chelsea. Would love to see it get interesting. City just is not ready and Arsenal doesn't seem to have the confidence or character.

spence
03-23-2011, 08:45 PM
I've become a fan. FA Cup is looking to be fun.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Bronko
03-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Luds, I totally agree about Arsenal. The talent is there, but there is a big confidence issue. They looked downright scared to play Barcelona a few weeks ago.

Chelsea/Man U will be fun down the stretch. Love this time of year.

mosholu
03-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Being an Arsenal fan it was hard to watch that first half of the second Barca game. I doubt they strung three passes together in the first half and at the end of the game they did not have a shot on goal.
Arsenal are going to have spend significantly if they want to stay in the top 4 of the EPL. The depth of the talent in the squad does not compare with Chelsea, Man U, Man City or dare I say it Spurs.

luds
03-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Being an Arsenal fan it was hard to watch that first half of the second Barca game. I doubt they strung three passes together in the first half and at the end of the game they did not have a shot on goal.
Arsenal are going to have spend significantly if they want to stay in the top 4 of the EPL. The depth of the talent in the squad does not compare with Chelsea, Man U, Man City or dare I say it Spurs.

Arsenal just needs one player in their defense that's worthy of a captains arm band and then i think they will be the best team in the league. Ok, maybe two tough defenders.

mosholu
03-27-2011, 02:46 PM
In theory they would have that if Vermaelen recovers fully from his injury. The problem that I see with the squad is that their lack of depth is appalling. There is no cover for Song in the defensive midfield role. Van Persie is subject to injuries and Arshavin is wildly inconsistent. If you are going to compete in four competitions you need quality players on the bench and Dennilson, Eboue, Vela, Squilliaci and Diaby have all shown they are not up to first team football at the highest levels of the EPL.

Clogston29
04-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Arsenal has to get back to being tough like they were in the 90s, early 2000s if they want to get back to where they were. Too many soft, mentally and physically, guys right now, which I think comes from the top. They have a few players I like, mainly Song. A goalie would certainly help. And a replacement for Fabregas who is (or was) rumored to want out for Real Madrid. I don't buy into Wilkshire yet. The Brits tend to way over hype there own and it seams like there's always a guy like him that's the next big thing. Didn't the Barcelona coach say something along the lines of "we have Jack Wilshire's on our practice squad." This may be coming from a slightly biased Man. U. fan however.

Man. U v. Chelsea tomorrow (Barcelon Shakhtar too, but I don't think its on TV). Tottenham v. Real Madrid today. Hopefully Bale is fit. I love the Champions league.

Why can't I get FSC in HD???

mosholu
04-05-2011, 07:42 AM
I agree totally with your analysis and views about the British press. They hype every player to death and always hype the national team to such levels that every tournament that does not result in a trophy is a massive disappointment. The other thing that effects England too much is the influence of their football association. The team would do better if they could pick the best eleven rather than have to guarantee certain players playing time.

keeperreaper
04-05-2011, 05:06 PM
I am a Man U fan but I think Chelsea is going to put it on them. Without Rooney in form they don't have much of a chance.

Clogston29
04-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Rooney has been awsome for the last few weeks. Hat trick last saturday.

keeperreaper
04-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Was not aware of the "trick". If he is on top of his game he might be a deciding factor but I still think they lose this one.

Clogston29
04-09-2011, 07:45 AM
It was a good game. Chelsea probably deserved a draw. Probably would have gotten at least that if enelka started over that waste of space torres. I just hope the continue to play him 90. He and drogba have 0 chemistry. Hernandez and rooney play well together. And giggs is still the man if not overworked.

luds
04-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Liverpool pool and Man City are on Monday in HD on Espn2. Easy to miss the occasional Monday matches on the deuce.

Gotta capitalize on the rare opportunities to watch EPL in HD!

Clogston29
04-12-2011, 07:01 PM
The old man does it again.

luds
04-13-2011, 08:15 AM
The old man does it again.

His form was terrible a few weeks ago but he has been on fire the last few games. The highlight yesterday for me was Vandersar getting caught outside of the the 18 and successfully making a tackle and stopping Anelka.

Clogston29
04-13-2011, 09:17 AM
he's only good in the Champions League and later stages of the FA cup now. I think he's been around too long to get up for EPL games.

looks like tevez is out for the year. with him and rooney out, the FA cup match up isn't quite as exciting.

numbskull
04-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Interesting match was Liverpool/City. Best I've seen Liverpool look in a long time and one of the best games I've seen an EPL team turn in this year. They moved the ball great and very fast. They had great balance between defense and attack. Missing Gerrard seemed to actually help them in this game. The little guy they had replacing him played a more conservative and predictable holding mid and it helped the team click nicely.

As for ManU, I didn't think they looked all that good.....just better than Chelsea. Their ball movement and possession is somewhat slow and purposeful, particularly through midfield. Probably they will beat Schlake, and Barca take Madrid, but I suspect ManU will have trouble again with Barcelona's suffocating midfield defensive pressure.

Chelsea's situation is grim. Tons of power and skill, but no imagination. Too predictable a team. They need a midfield player who confuses the defense...a D Silva or Nani type of guy. Probably they hoped Rameriz would be it, but he seems more of a Kaolu/Malouda slasher type. I was surprised Benayoun didn't get time in that game in place of Anelka.

Clogston29
04-13-2011, 04:01 PM
United is flawed and its definately not their best team in recent years (but with a legit shot at a triple that's tough to say) and i wouldn't pick them against barcalona. but i'd give them a fighter's chance at a "neutral" (home) site for the final, especially the way Vidic (if he doesn't get suspended for accumulation of yellows for the final) and Van Der Sar are playing and with Rio Ferdinand getting healthy - tough defense and counter attacking. Referee will probably have a big impact on that game.

chelsea just seams to be making poor decisions lately. the torres deal could set them back alot if he doesn't come around, especially since drogba will probably want out at season's end. if they had spend that money on Suarez (a guy who actually showed up for the World Cup) instead, things might look alot different right now.

Clogston29
04-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Shalke did not look too impressive yesterday. Strange that they made it this far.

Barcelona - Madrid should be great today. Perfect timing for Verizon to add FSC in HD to the lineup. Noticed it was added half way through the United game yesterday. Made my day for sure.

luds
04-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Shalke did not look too impressive yesterday. Strange that they made it this far.

Barcelona - Madrid should be great today. Perfect timing for Verizon to add FSC in HD to the lineup. Noticed it was added half way through the United game yesterday. Made my day for sure.

Yeah Josh. Shalke 04 has been interesting to watch and definitely a surprise that they made it so far. I can't get over their keeper. His size reminds me of Schmeichel. He is able to get his outlet throws past mid field with ease which is insane.

I'm still furious over RM v. Barca. Say what you will about Mourinho and the defensive/counter attack style of Madrid but there is no way to make an argument that Barca didn't ruin that game. Welll.....maybe Barca and the officials. The straight red was rediculous even if it was Pepe! Barca players grabbing their faces after every challenge and writhing while on the ground made me sick. It's embarrassing that IMO the best team in the world would behave that way. Pedro was the player that made me the most ill. If he's eligible for the final I hope Scholes puts his studs through his nuts. The only thing that was comforting at all was that Messi didn't behave that way. His second goal was beautiful.

The only way the return leg of Madrid Barca will be watchable is if the ref shows yellow for players attempting to influence decisions early on with those rediculous surround the ref tactics.

As pissed as I am at least I can take comfort that I'm not an Arsenal fan.

Clogston29
04-29-2011, 07:35 AM
talk of united going after that keeper in the off season, certainily fits ferdinand's type of keeper

american spirit
04-30-2011, 08:33 AM
i had chance to watch both the barca/ madrid and united/ schalke games this week. besides messi, the first was terrible. the second much better, but disappointed in schalke.

barca/madrid was a theatrical mess. is that how those teams usually play?? it was nice to see united after that. good to see guys just taking fouls without complaints and just getting up again. the schalke goalie was the balls. united should have had 3 goals in the first half. impressed with the giggs header save. and another in the first where he just stonewalled someone from united on a break.

any idea how long fox soccer will be offered in the basic cable packages?? perfect timing for games, 8 pm home from work eating dinner, drinking a few beers.

Clogston29
05-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Big one on saturday. Its my daughter's first B-day, so I'll be DVR'ing it.

Hopefully my man Giggs can put aside his considerable distractions and get it done one more time. He's really doing all he can to live up to the George Best comparisons I guess :hihi:

luds
06-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Hit gillette today. Pretty cool to see Torres, Villa, Alonso, Casillas, Reyna, Pique, Ramos etc. In person. They destroyed the US who was resting players for the gold cup though they clearly have no depth.