View Full Version : fluro question

nightfighter
03-16-2003, 07:24 PM
Talked with a guy at fly show yesterday about leaders. He has been selling Vanish more and more over Seagear. Says pros like it and is cheaper. Any thoughts on Vanish product?

denis
03-16-2003, 08:25 PM
Sent mine back to the company keep breaking went back to stren floro. another good one is orvis,but it's exp. my two cents.Most of my leader is made up max then just a floro tippet.

ragfly
03-17-2003, 07:29 AM
Seagar is what I use and it is tough. I haven't heard good things about Vanish. I also heard they call it Vanish because when you get a big fish on they Vanish after the leader breaks. I wouldn't skimp on my gear to save a few $$$$$.

Van
03-17-2003, 08:40 AM
I've not had a problem with the stren..

fishweewee
03-17-2003, 08:45 AM
Orvis Mirage is the best fluoro out there, hands down.

-WW

denis
03-17-2003, 08:54 AM
Ragfly

Well Put, that is very true

Mr. Sandman
03-17-2003, 11:39 AM
I used vanish for a couple years...you have to be careful selecting the lb test and knot strength is not as good as I would like it to be. But I have landed plenty of big fish with with it. I have to be honest though...it did loose a few at the knot.

I am trying seagar now (used some last season)....jury is still out. (I want to try some of the orvis that I hear you guys rave about)..

schoolie monster
03-17-2003, 12:11 PM
I use mostly the extreme fluoro from bass pro shops and it has been pretty good. I've used seaguar as well and its been fine too. Those are 12lb to 30lb test for open water or flats fishing.

I have stren in the 40lb and other than being tough to tie knots b/c its so darn stiff, I liked it. I didn't get any big fish last year so I can't say how it does getting dragged across the rocks by a 30lber.

My problems usually stem from laziness, not retying enough.

I seem to remember someone trashing vanish last year... don't remember what the situation was or where, but that quote about being called vanish cause the fish vanish sounds familiar.

BruceinRI
03-17-2003, 12:59 PM
The best use that I've found for Vanish is to use it to tie up the Christmas tree so it won't fall over. I won't use it for fishing. I lost too many fish while using a Vanish leader.

I currently use Seaguar and Orvis and have had excellent results.

Saltheart
03-17-2003, 02:04 PM
Only one I ever tried was stren Fluoro. hated it. Went back to using Ande mono for my leaders.

Notaro
03-17-2003, 05:28 PM
van, do u surfcast with stren's floro line? i use segquar floruo leader. yo-zuri hybrid flouro line is okay bec they don't cast that well.

Got Stripers
03-17-2003, 07:15 PM
Vanish should vanish, IMHO it is absolute junk and good luck having any knot strength. I use Seagar and haven't had problems. During this past winter I switched over to the Stren 6 lb fluoro and was very happy with it, but I don't know what else they offer.

IFG
03-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Vanish has a terrible memory and a low abrasion restistence I'd use P-Line Fluro-Clear or YOu-zuri clear

Notaro
03-19-2003, 01:39 AM
vanish sucks, guys. besides it wld screw up ur spool bec it causes a lot of tangling of the line. so i rather to use stren, yo-guri hybrid, or berkley.