View Full Version : Ball and Anchor Thief

Sweetwater
08-31-2010, 08:39 AM
I was fishing around the SW Corner on Monday monitoring ch16 on the VHF when I hear a guy calling the Coast Guard to tell them that someone tried to steal his anchor and anchor ball. Evidently he left the ball to chase a fish and when he came back, his ball and anchor were gone.

He then sees a boat that appears to be fleeing the scene and he chases it down only to spy his ball in the other boat’s cockpit. At this point the thief throws the ball and anchor overboard and takes off. The guy gave the name of the offending boat several times over the radio but I won’t mention it here since I wasn’t an eyewitness to any of this and would not want to slander an innocent person. But if true, what kind of lowlife would steal someone’s gear like that?

Nebe
08-31-2010, 08:57 AM
that takes SOME BALLS>.. :rotf2:

Mr. Sandman
08-31-2010, 09:56 AM
what kind of lowlife would steal someone’s gear like that?

Someone who needs one and just looked up the price of a full set of gear from Hamilton Marine!

Seriously though, stealing fishing gear is pathetic...what have we come to?

BTW how was the fishing out there?

Typhoon
08-31-2010, 10:04 AM
from the thread I just read on the other forum, the offending boat is a charter boat.

Douchebaggery. Happens a lot on the SWC.

likwid
08-31-2010, 10:07 AM
from the thread I just read on the other forum, the offending boat is a charter boat.

the charter boats own stellwagon, didn't you know? :rotf2:

Typhoon
08-31-2010, 10:11 AM

Absolutely. That's why I got my charter license this year.

JohnnyD
08-31-2010, 10:21 AM

They own wherever they want to fish, no?

Sweetwater
08-31-2010, 10:38 AM

Yeah, if its the same boat, he's a charter guy out of Provincetown.

Fly Rod
08-31-2010, 10:39 AM
It happens every day on the water.

Two nights ago here, three 18 year old teenagers were caught by the police stealing fishing rods from several boats and stealing a boat also. They will more then likely get a slap on the hand.

On my anchor ball I have my name about 5" High with a heavy duty magic marker. It is a deterrant.

Sweetwater
08-31-2010, 02:22 PM

The "charter guy" says it wasn't him, but someone else with a very similar boat name. I believe him.

Sweetwater
08-31-2010, 03:39 PM
The "charter guy" says it wasn't him, but someone else with a very similar boat name. I believe him.

This was the very reason I only related the story but didn't give names (or names of boats). People get it wrong sometimes.

Raider Ronnie
08-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Thats pretty low to steal someone's ball & anchor on the water !

Slipknot
08-31-2010, 08:31 PM

why would you believe him?
sounds like he's covering his arse

there is no such thing as Got 2 Go charters
I don't believe him

the victim says he got the right name and I believe that

so it's not bad enough we have theives on the canal and you got to watch your stuff like a hawk while fishing there, now you can't even be a half mile away from your anchor ball while chasing down a fish?:smash::wall:
that is pretty horrible

the guy can't manup and admit he screwed up huh
I guess there are scumbags everywhere.
world's going to hell

MakoMike
09-01-2010, 02:31 PM
He should have put a 12 gauge slug through the hull, that would have provided adequate ID.

Sweetwater
09-01-2010, 04:08 PM
As I've said before, I did not post the name of the boats (accuser or accused) since I have no independent verification that this ever happened, or if it did, who the boats belonged to. All I know is that I heard the exchanges between a boat captain and the Coast Guard.

However, the accused boat owner has posted a vehement denial that he was in any way involved. If interested, you can find it on thehulltruth.com

Good 2 Go Charters, was stealing my anchor on SW Courner - Page 2 - The Hull Truth (http://www.thehulltruth.com/northeast/303556-good-2-go-charters-stealing-my-anchor-sw-courner-2.html)

buckman
09-02-2010, 06:13 AM
The boat that had it stolen is owned by a pretty well known and respected family. Damn good fishermen too. I tend to go with his story.

likwid
09-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Awesome, an interwebs "you did it" no i didn't "yes you did" no i didn't.

TAKE PICTURES NEXT TIME YOU FREAKS!

quick decision
09-05-2010, 02:00 PM
I wish someone would steel my ball and chain!

Rockfish9
09-07-2010, 11:03 AM
He should have put a 12 gauge slug through the hull, that would have provided adequate ID.

that's exactly what would have happend up north.. only differance.. it would have become a salvage mission...

Van
09-07-2010, 12:04 PM
I read through the post on THT..

WOW they are a tough bunch

likwid
09-07-2010, 06:36 PM
I read through the post on THT..

WOW they are a tough bunch

More time on their hands than "the other place's" political forum.