View Full Version : Hurricane Coverage

flyvice11787
09-02-2010, 09:22 AM
So who else is glued to the TV watching coverage of Earl? Even though it probably won't affect me much, I'm watching to see how it tracks. Hope you New England guys are spared the worse. Looks like it'll be close :eek:.

Side note. Stephanie Abrams is hot! Wish they would have sent her to Montauk. Wouldn't mind running into her :D.

FishermanTim
09-02-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm watching to see some idiot's boat that was ripped from it's mooring smashed on some rocks. Hey, it happens every time, so why not enjoy the show from the comfort of your own warm, dry, food-filled house?

spence
09-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Things were just updated. It's getting worse...not better.

-spence

MakoMike
09-02-2010, 12:04 PM
RI is going to get hit, but not too bad. Sandy's island is going to take a whipping.

Rockport24
09-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't know about being glued to the tv, but I'm glued to S-B becuase there is much more talk about here! :D

Mr. Sandman
09-02-2010, 03:24 PM
RI is going to get hit, but not too bad. Sandy's island is going to take a whipping.

I am actually pretty worried now. It looks like it's aiming for me personally!:eek:

I have my boat tied to the yacht club; bulkhead dock on two sides with my stern in. I should be fine from east and north winds if everything holds.... There is a yacht club building behind me though, if the roof comes off it will land in my cockpit.

I plan to stay on the boat tomorrow night to adjust the lines. I am worried that if I leave it and a storm surge is significant that the lines will be too loose and I will be smashed. HAS ANYONE GOT A GOOD READ ON THE STORM SURGE?

The good thing is that no one can hit me and there is zero fetch. I will be upwind of all the moored boats.

I was going to go into tashmoo on a friends mooring but it is tight in there with not much swing and I would have to get tight to the mooring ball. But it is protected inside tashmoo.

So right now I have double lines on every cleat..all 5/8 double-braid, a total of 16 lines. The dock will rip off before my boat moves.

It is going to be a long night

numbskull
09-02-2010, 06:23 PM
The trouble with pilings in a hurricane is obviously the surge. Often the water rises above them and either lines lift off or the boat shifts over them and gets hung with the drop. If your pilings are low, rig something to keep the lines from lifting off.