View Full Version : Need HELP finding HAWK 29 boat

nor-easter
12-17-2000, 10:51 AM
Hi...I am new on this board and need help in finding a Crosby Hawk 29. Anybody that gives me a good lead that ends up with me buying that boat will get a FREE trip from New Bedford out to Sow and Pigs and Devils Bridge and return to New Bedford as the finders fee.
I fished Cuttyhunk for 28 seasons as a Guide so I think I can at least give you a good trip.
Thanks in Advance.
Chet

JohnR
12-18-2000, 10:26 AM
Welcome Chet,

I'm not familiar with that boat but is it along the lines of a JC? Obviously it is bigger than your average Cuttyhunk bass boat... Do you do shore guides over ther :P

nor-easter
12-19-2000, 11:59 PM
The Hawk 29 is a fiberglass hull, heavy, with either hard top and side curtains or teak house, some open rear others closed with center door... Single engine, twin and I found one withtwin 250 Yamaha o/b. That particular boat goes W/O at 38 kn. and cruises at 32 at 3000RPM.
I am hot onto a twin diesel unit today and may have bought it.
I have always fished boats at c'hunk, from my 1st. 16 ft skiff and O/b fifty years ago to the Mako with O/B , the Sea Craft with I/O and now the next "Nor-Easter" which is 29' Hawk with Twin Diesels. Years ago the true "Cuttyhunk Bass Boat" was between 18 to 24 ft and pumpkins seed style open ....Today the only open bass boat at Cuttyhunk is Jimmy Nunes with a beautiful 26 ft, Winslow boat that is a real fishing machine...The rest of the guides are using Hawk 29, or Dyer 29 and there is one other about 28 footer.
I have many times suggested beach spots to folks who have asked nicely and many of them were succesful, but as to actually walk the beach and say, "Cast the backside of that pointy rock or to the white water in that hole? No I don't beach guide.
I have never forgotten the warning that was told to me when I was a kid..."Don't fish on the shore cause if you get tired and lay down in the sand and fall asleep, the sand fleas will enter your ears and eat your brains out." I never forgat that warning!
But truth being the only way to go, I did fish a couple times casting the beach with my wife and I really enjoyed the fishing....The walking Sucked....
If you visit C'Hunk you can walk all along the shore and when you see a fishy looking spot, cast it a few times...You can't catch em with the plug at the end of the rod...
Chet

JohnR
12-20-2000, 12:31 PM
Sounds like a very solid boat... There are some online sources like boattrader.com and wantadvertiser.com that you might be able to find the Hawk...

SandFlea Heaven, huh? I HATE those flippin' things!! I have found those things in the my surfbag or the back of the truck a week after fishing a sandy weeded spot... Nasty..

Thanks for the info Chet

Slipknot
12-22-2000, 08:15 PM
Hey nor-easter, let us know if you bought that twin diesel model. Are you going to charter? out of New Bedford?

nor-easter
12-23-2000, 11:49 PM
Yes, the boat will be getting a Survey and if it passes that then the closing will be in January and come May we will be back on the rips...Right now we are trying to find a slip in New Bedford Harbor, South of the Bridge and Yes, we will be "going Fishing"...If I can find a place to put people up at Cuttyhunk we would prefer there, cause it is a closer run to "the grounds" but if not then the Port of Fairhaven has a nice Holiday Inn Express and a Marina. There are three in Fairhaven, Marina's, and a couple on the Bridge.
As the saying goes, Time will tell.
Chet