View Full Version : I dont know why but....

Anthony
03-17-2003, 09:35 AM
I dont know why but the only fish in my 4 years of surfcasting has been stripers. I am definitly not complaing because they are my favorite species to fish for, but usually when your fishing you catch bluefish and dogfish and different kinds of small sharks. I have yet to catch a bluefish or a dogfish or a shark or any kind of other fish besides stripers and to tell you the truth i really want to. I want a little variation in what i am catching besides stripers. I fish the coast of New hampshire in a town called Rye. It is the most awesome place to fish, it has so much structure you would not believe, so many rock pilings and different kinds of bottom structure. On the beach that i fish it goes all the way from the rockiest kind of bottom to a nice sandy bottom. Usually i use cut mackeral with no weights, just wade out up to my waste in the water cast out my bait 20 feet past the last wave and just let it drift with my rod in hand. Cann any body help me and give some tips so that i could possibly get into some sand sharks or bluefish or any kind of fish besides stripers so i can broden my horizans a little bit.

thanks alot
anthony

fishweewee
03-17-2003, 09:42 AM
Maybe it's the cooler water temperatures up where you are.

Water's a little warmer (what +10 degrees) just a little south of you - this water in late summer and early fall attracts inshore critters like false albies and bonito.

They do get blues in Maine - wondering why they wouldn't stop by Rye.

-WW

Anthony
03-17-2003, 10:00 AM
i dont know why i havent caught any blues, even the portsmouth herald (the news paper in Rye) had an article about how "the bluefish are here" and i had yet to catch one, just lots and lots of stripers, but hey i am not complainging to bad:p

JohnR
03-17-2003, 10:04 AM
Anthony - don't knock it, sounds like you're blessed :D ...

I've caught probably more blues off PI than bass, but its pretty close and I really try to avoid the blues.

Just hope the law of averages doesn't catch up with you and you get 4 years of Blues instead of Bass...

Anthony
03-17-2003, 10:10 AM
John i think its definitly luck that i have gotten into so many stripers. Every night that i go out surfcasting (which is every night when i am at the grandparents summer cottage) i get atleast 20-30 good sized stripers. I love goin up to the grand parents for 3 weeks at a time during summer vacation time:D , fishing the surf in the morning, coming home eating breakfast then going out to the jetties in the afternoon, then come home and eat lunch and relax a little, and then going to the surf at night till midnight. Man i love having a cottage a tenth of a mile from the ocean :happy: . Do you think you could give me some tips for catching some blues or sand sharks, mainly use chunks of mac and also use the occational plug or kastmaster.

thanks
anthony

striperjerk1
03-17-2003, 11:51 AM
for blues gags bombers works real well and atom poppers.
the blues usually comes during the warmer months like july and august.
if i were you, i would head south towards the cape and or ri beaches. oh and roberts rangers works well also.