View Full Version : So How Do You Think The Fall Is Shaping Up?

BigFish
09-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Last Fall was a bust for many.....how do you think this Fall season is shaping up so far? Lots more bait this Fall for sure!

slow eddie
09-04-2010, 07:36 AM
hopefully the peanuts will show up in rhody this fall. last 2 yrs. were a bust as far as bait was concerned.

WoodyCT
09-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Ummm...Larry.... It doesn't start for another couple weeks.

It's still summah!

I hope it shapes up for us down here, because the last couple have been grounds for taking up killing furry things with guns.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

StriperWriter
09-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Boston harbor should be quite an impressive display of nature this fall run. More bait in the harbor than any year I can remember...

t.orlando
09-04-2010, 11:23 AM
It already started. First batch of fish moved south last week.

Clogston29
09-04-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't like these storms followed up with days of offshore winds for up this way. Fishing was just getting good before that northeaster. Not so much since.

SAUERKRAUT
09-06-2010, 08:14 PM
The Fall Bass Run shaping up? Well, let's see now-- I just took a long, fun gas burning beautiful Labor Day boat ride up Vineyard Sound, around Gay Head to Squibnockett; the around Noman's Island, and came back home via Cuttyhunk Sow and Pigs and along the S. shore of the Elizabeths. I didn't see one pod of anything called baitfish or any small feeding fish. Not one tern or seagull in the air. Nothing. Water seems like a Rachel Carson book Silent Spring.

And a million "reported" pounds of summering population commercial striped bass recently harvested...where the He.. do you think my Fall Run stripers are going to come from in the next six weeks, New Jersey?

piemma
09-07-2010, 03:26 AM
It already started. First batch of fish moved south last week.

Correct a mundo. Most of the guys still think the move starts in Oct. I have been saying for years that the first push is in August. I use to kill em at Ballston in late August.

tysdad115
09-07-2010, 05:26 AM
Three days,one schoolie...WTF!

Rockfish9
09-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Fish have definatly been on the move... different age classes each night, mixing with the "residents"... they seem to have had an attitude change since "Earl"... fish that were tapping and toying with baits are smashing them like each meal is the "last supper"...

tlapinski
09-07-2010, 06:43 AM
In the last 2 weeks I have seen TONS of bait, lots of bluefish and taken bass of 37, 38 and 40 pounds. So far the fall is shaping up just fine for me. :uhuh:

Sea Dangles
09-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Looks like bait is settling into Buzzards Bay finally.Many schools of pogies and big ones at that.The holes in the Elizabeths are are also active with bait and fish.After a lot of miles,managed to stumble on some hardtail action also. Hopefully these will be positive signs for September.

Dick Durand
09-07-2010, 07:34 AM
I don't like these storms followed up with days of offshore winds for up this way. Fishing was just getting good before that northeaster. Not so much since.

Ditto - pre-Earl was far more productive for me. This past week has been a struggle to catch anything at all. I've just heard a couple of stories from other guys about the big one that got away.

Raven
09-07-2010, 10:00 AM
the LONGEST fall SEASON we'll ever see.....

WEATHER WISE !!! according to the F.A.

Jimmy Fee
09-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Correct a mundo. Most of the guys still think the move starts in Oct. I have been saying for years that the first push is in August. I use to kill em at Ballston in late August.

My introduction to Cape surfcasting came on that beach in late August of 2001 or 2002. I was visiting from Philadelphia, and within 2 casts with eels after sundown, my old man had a 40 on the sand. One of 3 fish a few pounds either side of that mark he had that night. I fished a bomber/red gill and had 15- to 30-pounders every other cast. Visited every summer up to 2006, and every year the ratio of bass to seals seemed to swing a little more in favor of the seals.

Since moving to the Cape, I've yet to go there though. Maybe worth a look this week. There's no way all the cows are gone from up that way.

Swimmer
09-07-2010, 06:13 PM
It is what you make it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vogt
09-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Ditto on the bait. Peanuts and sandeels just about everywhere I look, with some small pods of adult bunker and hickories for good measure. Water temps in my area are still pretty high. A few more cool nights should get things going. East of me, things are deffinately starting to move...

Back Beach
09-08-2010, 09:00 AM
I haven't caught a %$%$%$%$ing fish in over a month. I must be fishing in the wrong place. :huh:

God forbid I have another fall like last year...:hang:

piemma
09-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I was out early this morning. Marked a lot of fish and tons of bait. Also 4' seas with a solid 20knts SW. Tide was dropping against it so it was standing up pretty good. Got one bluefish that went 14+ on the Boga 33". GORILLA BLUES!!!

bart
09-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I was out early this morning. Marked a lot of fish and tons of bait. Also 4' seas with a solid 20knts SW. Tide was dropping against it so it was standing up pretty good. Got one bluefish that went 14+ on the Boga 33". GORILLA BLUES!!!

nice. looking forward to tangling with some of those beasts later this fall....

Jausman
09-16-2010, 10:38 AM
So far - I got the blues down- No large yet- still lots of time

JohnR
09-16-2010, 10:43 AM
So far - I got the blues down- No large yet- still lots of time

Jausman - welcome to S-B :btu:

(ps - keep the blues up north :uhuh: )

Back Beach
09-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Things are shaping up. I predict things will blow open within the next 3-4 days. Where it actually blows open is anyone's guess.:rollem:

Rockfish9
09-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Things are shaping up. I predict things will blow open within the next 3-4 days. Where it actually blows open is anyone's guess.:rollem:

The full moon baby!!! Hopefully these Huricanes get out of town so the ocean can flattenout... if they dont, it's going to put a hurtin' on us up north..

Back Beach
09-16-2010, 12:01 PM
The full moon baby!!! Hopefully these Huricanes get out of town so the ocean can flattenout... if they dont, it's going to put a hurtin' on us up north..

Not usually a big full moon fan, but in the fall it matters much less than any other time of year, IMO.

What actually constitutes "blowing open" is different for everyone. I've been getting numbers of fish, but none over mid-high teens weight wise. Blowing open to me would be an influx of 20# plus fish in good numbers with some bigger mixed in, perhaps some high 30# stuff and bigger. This week usually starts it where I like to fish, so we'll see what happens.

All I know is when it starts you just know its happening without needing confirmation from anyone else...as do my wife and kids...:angel: my wife is going on her 16th fall run with me...god bless her...10th anniversary is next friday night...someone remind me if I forget and wind up down the canal.

piemma
09-16-2010, 12:37 PM
I SOLD MY BOAT:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:bc::bc::bc::bc:

IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!!

I am in the surf for the Fall.

timmah
09-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Much bigger fish in numbers down here, dropped a board fish last night.:smash::smash: :wall: Good action last 5 days.

Rockfish9
09-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Not usually a big full moon fan, but in the fall it matters much less than any other time of year, IMO.

What actually constitutes "blowing open" is different for everyone. I've been getting numbers of fish, but none over mid-high teens weight wise. Blowing open to me would be an influx of 20# plus fish in good numbers with some bigger mixed in, perhaps some high 30# stuff and bigger. This week usually starts it where I like to fish, so we'll see what happens.

All I know is when it starts you just know its happening without needing confirmation from anyone else...as do my wife and kids...:angel: my wife is going on her 16th fall run with me...god bless her...10th anniversary is next friday night...someone remind me if I forget and wind up down the canal.

You fish the the June or July full with me and you'll go away a changed man... I'm of the opposite camp.. I hate those dark new moon tides... nothing but grief....

Frankiesurf
09-16-2010, 01:51 PM
Down here in NY there is a ton of anchovies being mauled by small to mid-teen bass. The albies have the snappers held up offshore on the east end. Waiting for a good wind to blow to get them on the beach. Blitzes all over.

Please send those bunker down here soon, you guys up there kept them far too long last year.

nightfighter
09-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Must be September.... my shoulder is junk, and getting worse from getting in the surf both dawn and dusk daily. Wind has had me on the beaches and off the boat. Getting real thin on my go-to plugs. Lost my best fall producer this morning, a TDF Howdy.....damn bloos.... Smashed a ten year old, proven SS needle into a rock the other night due to pilot error on my part. Happens when I sacrifice sleep like I do this time of year.

Clogston nailed it as to how the storms have affected the fishing up my way. There are fish, just not the numbers or size we should be seeing. Bait is sketchy from shore, just ok from boat (spiked macks/tinks and butterfish). Not seeing birds working for couple weeks.... But I am going dawn and dusk daily, with a few late nights thrown in, because I can. (I have about 12 weeks of work on the schedule, just waiting for some deposit checks to come in....been working on my house for two weeks, waiting:smash:sucks)

tattoobob
09-16-2010, 07:51 PM
The fishing sucks up here, Dinks and small keepers

Back Beach
09-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Has anyone seen my arms?

spinncognito
09-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Been slowish for a while up here but there are starting to be "signs of life". Birds are gathering and there has been a few instances of gull-madness but not too many busting fish. There are goodly amounts of 4 to 5 inch herring in the local harbor and it will be fun when the bass find those. Had fish close to 20# in the usual fall areas this morning. Also an abundance of dink 12-14" bass close to shore. Blues still here too so this next week or two should be interesting and fun.

Remember you have all winter to "sleep in" so go get'em!

Back Beach
09-23-2010, 06:16 AM
Man your battle stations men, it's on...three or four weeks of prime time fishing is upon us...

piemma
09-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Man your battle stations men, it's on...threee or four weeks of prime time fishing is upon us...

INDEED IT IS!!:jump1:

Back Beach
09-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Seems like size and quantity is rapidly increasing from CCB right through SE mass into RI. Timing seems about right too.

Sea Dangles
09-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Wow,you cover some ground.

redlite
09-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Suck-zany

basshunter
09-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Larry, we gonna wet a line soon?