View Full Version : Off to Cutty 9/10 -9/13, any last minute help?

Surf Caster
09-05-2010, 10:51 PM
So I'm off to Cutty for the first time ever with my dad and brother this coming weekend and the anticipation is high!

So far from the search function I've gathered that I should bring every needle and surface swimming metal lip that I have along with food clothes korkers etc etc.

As far as location it seems like we should march to the southwest corner of the island and work back to the east along the beach.

looking forward to some quality time with my dad and little brother and hopefully to some quality fish.

any last minute pointers / or pieces of advice would be greatly appreciated.

oh, don't worry, we won't forget the advil.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

animal
09-05-2010, 11:26 PM
I've never been,but good luck,bro.:buds:

Green Light
09-06-2010, 07:00 AM
SW corner is not the only spot. Explore bolder studded shoreline by day. But, don't exhaust your self by walking around the whole island. ;).

nightfighter
09-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Head lamp and a spare, first aid kit, tape for finger if fishing braid, lots of extra leaders to carry with you, backpack. Eels are good, as is rubber. Don't take too many plugs. I usually end up using only 6-12 over the course of a three day trip. Pace yourself. Good luck.

good2hook
09-06-2010, 08:14 AM
head over to churches. Tom and i did ok there, the year we went. I'm with Ross on not taking too much stuff over. Bring eels, eelskins, some bombers, korkers, headlight or 3. It's like no place on Earth. Take plenty of pictures, i regret not doing that.

numbskull
09-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Try a darter fished very slow and shallow at night with lots of pauses and twitches.
Take a pencil, a danny, a bottle of water, some sun screen, a bathing suit or shorts and spend a morning poking around along the S shore rocks. You may be very surprised.
Consider a walking stick/wading staff.

JFigliuolo
09-06-2010, 10:46 AM
When you get on the island. Gotee, grey hair. My buddy has ALLOT of ink. We leave for the island tomorrow (Tues) AM.

GattaFish
09-06-2010, 10:57 AM
SW corner is not the only spot. Explore bolder studded shoreline by day. But, don't exhaust your self by walking around the whole island. ;).

Funny,,, sound like you might have done that,,,,:rotf2::rotf2:

Seriously,,, Bone redfin, dark needles (Afterhours worked well last time I was there), couple darters, eels,,, and a GRS SLIM... If you have a black skin needle put a skin on it fish that too,,,

Gatorade powder, drink packets, skip water it is heavy and the water at the club is good right from the tap. Obviously bring what you plan on eating and drinking.

good luck

Surf Caster
09-06-2010, 02:16 PM
When you get on the island. Gotee, grey hair. My buddy has ALLOT of ink. We leave for the island tomorrow (Tues) AM.

Cool, thanks will do.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "allot of ink"?

Surf Caster
09-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. I appreciate it

I can't wait to go!! Hopefully we'll find some fish too

I agree, i should bring an extra headlamp! i always get nervous mine will crap out in the middle of the night.

iamskippy
09-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Cool, thanks will do.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "allot of ink"?

tatoo's
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Surf Caster
09-06-2010, 03:12 PM
tatoo's

haha... duh

thanks

piemma
09-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys. I appreciate it

I can't wait to go!! Hopefully we'll find some fish too

I agree, i should bring an extra headlamp! i always get nervous mine will crap out in the middle of the night.

never ever fish anywhere at night without a backup light. Even if you only carry a cheap penlight. It will get you out of trouble if your main headlamp dies.

Surf Caster
09-06-2010, 03:32 PM
i'll definitely pack a back up headlamp

achase
09-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Surfcaster
The Princeton=tec Blast is a great backup light. It's cheap, lightweight and you can swim with it on. My headlamp got blown off my head when I fell off my rock one too many times the other night. No problems...I had back-up. I use the Princeton-Tec Quad for a headlamp. I put red cellophane tape(for fixing taillights)over the lens.

Surf Caster
09-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Surfcaster
The Princeton=tec Blast is a great backup light. It's cheap, lightweight and you can swim with it on. My headlamp got blown off my head when I fell off my rock one too many times the other night. No problems...I had back-up. I use the Princeton-Tec Quad for a headlamp. I put red cellophane tape(for fixing taillights)over the lens.

I've heard a lot of guys talk about this light. maybe i'll have to order one!

Thanks

flyvice11787
09-07-2010, 06:24 AM
I've heard a lot of guys talk about this light. maybe i'll have to order one!

Thanks

You sure you want to wait for delivery? Head over to the camping section at #^&#^&#^&#^&'s. They have the smaller Princeton Tecs. Under $20. Attach to some surgical tubing and hang it around your neck.

Pete F.
09-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Walmart has some headlites for $5 single led
make good spares in a bag
If you are'nt swimming they work fine
I like to have another lite that I can hold in my hand for the sketchy spots.
If you ever have a lite die you will realize why you want at least one spare

Surf Caster
09-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Do you guys know if there is at&t or verizon cell service on cuttyhunk?

Swimmer
09-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Pint bottles of Rootbeer Snapps.

Pete F.
09-09-2010, 05:43 PM
My verizon worked last year pretty well.

afterhours
09-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Do you guys know if there is at&t or verizon cell service on cuttyhunk?

att works in front of bass club, stand at cliffs edge on one leg facing east.....:uhuh:

flyvice11787
09-09-2010, 11:10 PM
I had OK AT&T service when I was there.

redlite
09-13-2010, 04:04 PM
So, how'd you make out over there?
Crowded and sucked on my end.........

Surf Caster
09-18-2010, 06:01 PM
So, how'd you make out over there?
Crowded and sucked on my end.........

It was a great trip, although the fishing was slow. Really loved every minute of our experience there.

I stuck 5 fish over the course of the 3 nights, the biggest being 12 lbs. The fish were extremely skinny, I guess they haven't started gorging yet!