View Full Version : Lead ban coming

pmueller
09-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Been getting a lot of emails regarding a public comment on banning lead for fishing. This would increase the cost of our fishing addiction, at least as far as lead is concerned probably three fold.
More info here.

http://capwiz.com/keepamericafishing/issues/alert/?alertid=16355526&cmCat=email&cm_cat=6089&cm_ven=email-nl&cm_pla=HA-0100&cm_ite=16355526&eid=11358356&cmp=I100902A&seg=FI1&cnt=6089&ctb=16355526

Thanks

Raven
09-06-2010, 07:24 PM
i have emailed all our officials stating my disapproval

what are the agents gonna do
saw my plugs in half to check them?

pmueller
09-06-2010, 09:41 PM
What will happen is that your lead weights won't be sold a tackle shops or fishing suppliers any more.
At that point, the price of your lead used will go up.
Any weight in a tackle shop will be some sort of titanium or something like that. big bucks.
thanks for sending those emails.

ecduzitgood
09-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Doesn't lead have to be ingested? This nanny state BS is driving me nuts, I mean come on how long are humans supposed to live anyway. I wonder if they will ever get around to the effect rubber has on the environment, think about it, where does all the rubber from the wear on a vehicles tires go? Why are there people who get lung cancer that never smoked and yet there are people who have smoked most of their lives and yet some live too a ripe old age and never get lung cancer? Could it be a cross link? For example if you eat onions and smoke tobacco that causes cancer...hmmm maybe it's not the tobacco maybe it's the rubber being inhaled from tire wear or something else. How many times have there been things that were said to be bad for you at one time only to later be discovered they are not so bad. I still feel like we are in the age of snake oil and believe it will take generations before we really know for sure what is good or bad.

pmueller
09-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Its all about the ducks and birds ingesting the lead from what I read a while ago.
The Plovers are eating too much lead.
I'm gonna go to hell for this one.

Notfishinenuf
09-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Well Captain, I posted this with a link to the same page two days ago. Between the two of us we have had six responses! Close to 300 views and 6 comments? Must not be to much of a concern?

Vic

pmueller
09-06-2010, 10:49 PM
My feeling about this is it will cost us more than this fishing license kaka.

Notfishinenuf
09-06-2010, 10:55 PM
You can count on it to cost more. More in taxes as well. The higher the price the higher the tax!

Vic

Rob Rockcrawler
09-07-2010, 03:54 AM
I dont have a problem with a ban on split shots and small sinkers because they are eaten on occasion by birds. But how many birds gobble up 4 oz sinkers? And how many of them pull the belly weights outta of plugs. Enough is enough, i think that for every law that is passed a law on the books should get revoked.

UserRemoved1
09-07-2010, 04:17 AM
Yea and I posted this all last week. I care I sent my comments in. They don't care if they put me out of business.

I also sent another angle to them too...less $$$$$$$$ for the govt. NO sportfishing excise tax if I'm out of business. There's 15k less a year for Michelle's effin vacations. :smash:

Well Captain, I posted this with a link to the same page two days ago. Between the two of us we have had six responses! Close to 300 views and 6 comments? Must not be to much of a concern?

Vic

pmueller
09-07-2010, 08:52 AM
For these guys its a no brainer. They just figure they've banned lead everywhere else. They ask themselves why haven't we banned it in fishing materials too.

pmueller
09-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks Salty, it only takes an email. not more the 30 seconds of time.
By the way, I'm loving your danny that takes an eelskin. Got this mondo skin that fits pretty good. This thing is a fish magnet.

UserRemoved1
09-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Email received from Janns netcraft today. OF INTEREST is here is the FIRST time I've read anywhere that this ban will involved lead INSIDE a lure or in a metal of a lure. If this is the case we got a SERIOUS problem here. I have read what I can on this and it didn't appear to involve any lead inside a lure. Up until now I wasn't very concerned about this. You got my attention when they start adding components and metals like brass etc.

NO MORE SPINNER BLADES? THEY'RE BRASS. Musky Lures, Bass spinnerbaits? Collect em now cuz there's about to be ALOT more people put out of work if this follows through.

Dear Scott:

We are contacting you to help us fight the proposed federal ban on all lead in fishing tackle.

On August 23, 2010, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was petitioned by the Center for Biological Diversity and four other organizations to ban all lead in fishing tackle under the Toxic Substances Control Act. This includes sinkers, jigs, weighted fly line, and components that contain lead such as brass and ballast in a wide variety of lures, including spinner blades, stick baits and more.

A lead ban would significantly add to the cost of fishing tackle. Alternative materials cost from 6 to 15 times more than lead.

The EPA has opened the petition for public comment. Please join us in opposing the ban by sending your comments to the EPA by no later than September 15th, 2010.

It's quick and easy to submit your comment by Clicking Here (http://info.perfectpassemail.com/ct/20366638:3976757274:m:1:200782442:AFD668BB91DCEAF4 4A88465BE7E85C87).

Typhoon
09-09-2010, 02:23 PM
This nanny state BS is driving me nuts,

http://nannystateliberationfront.net/

Raven
09-09-2010, 05:43 PM
how about the rendering of Lure collections everywhere that are meant to be fished....to absolutely useless if they contain lead inside them :hs: this is BULL sheet :point: top shelf.

UserRemoved1
09-13-2010, 04:58 PM
KUDOS to Scott Brown/his office for taking the time to reply. None of the others did.

Dear Mr. Bullock,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and lead use in hunting and fishing equipment. As always, I value your input on this and other issues, and strive to keep you updated on the important issues facing us today.

As you may know, on August 3, 2010, several petitioners wrote to the EPA asking for a ban on the manufacture, processing and sale of lead shot, bullets, and fishing sinkers. The EPA is required by law to respond to any petition within 90 days. While the EPA has stated that they do not have the authority to ban the use of lead in shot and bullets, they are still considering the request to ban lead in the use of fishing sinkers.

I understand your concerns regarding the impact of this regulation on both recreational and commercial fishing. Our fishing industry is one of the Commonwealth's oldest industries and has played a significant role in shaping our state's history. In recognition of the importance of these issues, I have passed along your concerns to the EPA. In addition, public comments will be accepted until November 1, 2010, by visiting www.regulations.gov.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Should you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact me or visit my website at www.scottbrown.senate.gov.

Sincerely,
Scott P. Brown
United States Senator

Chris in Mass
09-13-2010, 07:27 PM
...It's quick and easy to submit your comment by Clicking Here (http://info.perfectpassemail.com/ct/20366638:3976757274:m:1:200782442:AFD668BB91DCEAF4 4A88465BE7E85C87).

Done

pmueller
09-13-2010, 10:07 PM
better than what i got here in ct.

DaveS
09-14-2010, 02:25 AM
Sent

Bottomgun
09-14-2010, 05:37 AM
Hi Guys, I'm one of your lurker Cape Cod members that likes to read your stuff. This is the best surf fishing forum.

I'm in the marine biology biz and part of my job this past 40 years is to collect coastal sediments and fish tissue for toxicity analysis. All those 4 oz. lead weights and such accumulating on the bottom for decades dissolve into the sand and mud and the fish eggs and fry absorb the stuff, which kills, stunts, or sickens them during the fragile development stage, which means less fish in the long run for us, especially to eat. The dissolved lead really hits the mud worms, crabs, and other benthic infauna hard, which means much less natural food for the little fry and fish to feed on, especially in our estuaries where little flushing occurs.

So the fisheries scientists say the only way to stop the negative impact on our fisheries is to stop introducing lead into the environment. There have been tons of lead fishing weights lost within casting distance of our shorelines, so the lead poisoning of the water-seabed interface where all the little critters live is severe.

I'm only passing along this info so you guys don't feel so bad about springing extra bucks for non-lead wights when it happens. Think of it this way; if we stop losing (putting) lead on the bottom today, in a century or so, maybe your great-great grandkids will have some fish to catch. As you guys know, there used to be 125 pounder stripers all over the place 50-60 years ago. When I started surf fishing the Vineyard and Race Point in the '70s, 75 pounders were the big ones of the day. Nowadays, you guys and others talk about catching the 50 pounder. If we keep slamming the hatching critters with lead soup in their habitat, your great-great grandkids may be plugging for only 10-20 pounders.

We need to stop putting mercury in the water too, but that would require shutting down all our coal power plants, and that ain't going to happen anytime soon, but lead can be removed more easily which is why we're seeing the new legislation.

But don't let me get you down. Good fishing to you all.

numbskull
09-14-2010, 06:39 AM
References please.

Metallic lead dissolves very slowly in seawater and the amount introduced into the environment by lost fishing tackle is likely ridiculously small relative to the amount washing into the water from erosion, and the amount introduced into the environment through other sources (such as decades of leaded gasoline burning, smelting, bottom paint, paint manufacture, and mining runoff).

Certainly I may be wrong, but if you wish to come to a fishing forum and imply that our actions are hurting a fishery we all care about, some supporting scientific information would be most helpful and appreciated.

As for "125 lb stripers all over the place 50-60 years ago", that is way off target as well and calls into question the accuracy of the other information you have posted.

Sorry to question you, and I don't wish to discourage your participation, but some support for the information you have posted is certainly called for. Thanks

jmac
09-14-2010, 07:08 AM
References please.

Metallic lead dissolves very slowly in seawater and the amount introduced into the environment by lost fishing tackle is likely ridiculously small relative to the amount washing into the water from erosion, and the amount introduced into the environment through other sources (such as decades of leaded gasoline burning, smelting, bottom paint, paint manufacture, and mining runoff).

Certainly I may be wrong, but if you wish to come to a fishing forum and imply that our actions are hurting a fishery we all care about, some supporting scientific information would be most helpful and appreciated.

As for "125 lb stripers all over the place 50-60 years ago", that is way off target as well and calls into question the accuracy of the other information you have posted.

Sorry to question you, and I don't wish to discourage your participation, but some support for the information you have posted is certainly called for. Thanks

:uhuh::)

Bigredxlt
09-14-2010, 07:40 AM
References please.

Numbskull, you didnt provide any references for your assumptions either...

Bottomgun
09-14-2010, 12:04 PM
References please.

Certainly I may be wrong,...

As for "125 lb stripers all over the place 50-60 years ago", that is way off target

You're not wrong in any way. The lead pollution comes from everywhere like you say. I was just laying out one of the many reasons we try to stop introducing lead in the water/sediments, which can be picked up by fish, birds and other aquatic life. It is toxic stuff.

Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci.%$56(8):%$1494-1503%$(1999) (http://rparticle.web-p.cisti.nrc.ca/rparticle/AbstractTemplateServlet?calyLang=eng&journal=cjfas&volume=56&year=1999&issue=8&msno=f99-073)

Lead (Pb) and water (http://www.lenntech.com/periodic/water/lead/lead-and-water.htm)

I was off target on the 50-60 years. More like 80-100 years. I remember seeing old B/W photos of New England commercial fisherman hauling in 100+ pound stripers from the 1920s/30s era. These photos were on old university library tin-type photos, and they obviously have not been uploaded, because I would have liked to find one to post here. I could only find a reference for one 125 pounder caught before turn of the last century (1891), but they were out there in big numbers before our fishing methods got so efficient.

"Maximum size: Striped bass generally grow to lengths of up to 59 inches and weights of 55 to 77 pounds. The largest striped bass on record is a 125-pound female caught off North Carolina in 1891."

FishWatch - Atlantic Striped Bass (http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/fishwatch/species/atl_striped_bass.htm)

My only motivation for commenting was because some posters seem to be PO'ed that they might have to spend more for non-lead fishing weights, and I have tried to offer up a justification for the thinking behind the rule making that may result in the ban of lead weights, if it comes to that, so that in the end maybe folks won't be so PO'ed about the switchover from lead. Simple as that.

Cheers.

MakoMike
09-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Sent my comments in weeks ago. But one thing almost everyone seems to have missed is that the EPA has no jurisdiction over anything that is used in the marine environment, that NOAA's jurisdiction. And FWIW lead does not dissolve at all in salt water, it becomes almost immediatley covered in lead oxide, which is not water soluable.

numbskull
09-14-2010, 01:51 PM
So Bottomgum, your first link describes pretty well that elemental lead (the stuff used in sinkers and jigs) does not dissolve in water. The biologically available leads that create the issues that concern you are man produced and used chemically. Certainly they are an issue, and a reason gasoline is no longer leaded, but hardly a subject for fishing regulations. Probably high concentrations of elemental lead would be bad for marine organisms, but given lead's low solubility in water and the volume of water in the ocean, it is hard to see this being an issue.

The situation is likely analogous to Mercury (Hg). Hg in elemental (ie metal) form is not very toxic stuff. Inhalation of vapor can be bad at high concentration, but absorbtion through the gut or skin is poor. You can drink it and it all comes out the other end. For decades bags of it were used to pass feeding tubes along the gut in ill patients. It is the organic mercury compounds (primarily pesticides) that are highly poisonous neurotoxins and what people get when they eat too much tuna.

Lead is actually more poisonous than Hg in an elemental form (it is absorbed well from the Gi tract and interferes with blood cell maturation (ie causes anemia). That is the reason it is a problem for birds that ingest lead shot and split shot material thinking it is food. As far as I am aware, there is no evidence birds are eating 3 oz sinkers in saltwater.

I am not a toxicologist or a chemist, and I am not pretending to be any kind of expert on this, but I think a VERY large paintbrush gets used to illustrate these environmental issues, and often the public ends up mislead. If lead sinkers are truly a significant harm to the environment, most of us would look to change our behavior. But before doing so we deserve accurate information on just how much harm they are. So far I have seen none other than the bird ingestion issue.

Saltheart
09-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Regardless of the science , if a ban is imposed , it should be eased in with like a 5 year lead time so people can use up what they have already bought and find acceptable substitutes. A sudden turn off is so typical of the way the government abuses authority and has zero consideration for the people when they make these environmentqal related bans.

pmueller
09-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Finally got a response from Senator Dodd (Dudd). Not that it means anything. Wisely, he's not running this year. Go figure. Duh. Gee, responses like this are just the kind of thing that give you confidence in our elected officials.

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about environmental protection. I appreciate hearing from you on this critically important issue.

I firmly believe that the federal government has a responsibility to promote responsible environmental stewardship and to preserve natural treasures in their pristine state. There is no greater gift we can give to future generations of Americans than a healthy environment. Throughout my career in public service I have worked for policies that advance these goals on both a national and local level.

For instance, our National Parks system is one of this country's greatest legacies, and I have long supported increased funding so that these irreplaceable parts of our cultural and natural history are protected for generations to come. I am also proud to have had the opportunity to work to preserve some of Connecticut's great treasures, such as the Eightmile River, which was recently designated a federally-protected Wild and Scenic River.

I am additionally committed to protecting our nation's oceans and water resources. I have long championed efforts to clean up and protect Long Island Sound, which is vital to our region's economy and represents one of our most successful efforts under the National Estuary program. Please be assured that I will continue to work for policies that protect our nation's precious natural resources and promote environmental conservation.

Thank you again for contacting me. If you would like to stay in touch with me on this and other issues of importance, please visit my website at U.S. Senator Christopher J. Dodd | D-Connecticut (http://dodd.senate.gov) and subscribe to receive my regular e-mail issue alerts. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can be of assistance to you in any way.

Saltheart
09-14-2010, 04:49 PM
Typical form letter. I bet he has one all set to respond to any number of arewas of concern his constituents write to him about. maybe Law and order form letter , taxation form letter , medical insurance form letter , etc , etc. :)

Bottomgun
09-15-2010, 04:08 AM
I think a VERY large paintbrush gets used to illustrate these environmental issues

numbskull, since this is a “Striper” forum, and not an every-fish board, I should not have unnecessarily stirred the pot, because this lead weight thing is probably aimed more at the split-shot and twist-weight users in brackish and fresh waters, like the lead shot hunters were targeted, and not so much at saltwater sport fishermen.

I did that in jumping in on the lead issue that I am not an expert on either. Sorry about that. I usually deal with toxic soup scenarios like sediments near outfalls from sewage treatment plants and pharmaceutical plants. So I get to see the effects from combinations of dioxins, pesticides/herbicides, methyl-mercury, lead, poly aromatic hydrocarbons, etc. And the effects are tumors, parasites, lesions, blemishes, and other fish diseases. Messy looking stuff, but it is still hard to single out a single substance, like lead, because the different toxins work together to make a mess of our fish populations. I was just suggesting that since it is a given that lead in our aquatic environment is toxic, depending on ambient conditions, that it may be one of the reasons regulators want to pull the plug on banning lead fishing weights. If they don’t pull the plug, then that’s good for you guys. If they do make a change, I’m sure it will be explained more thoroughly than my apparently lame attempt.

I almost wish I didn’t get into this fisheries protection business. I can’t enjoy fishing like I did when I was a kid. Most everything is gone. 90% of the big spawners across species have been fished out this past 50 years, and it doesn’t look good down the road. Politicians have traded favors, bribes, whatever, to weaken or eliminate sound regulations, so now we don’t have much left out there.

Although I still go to the Race, like many guys in the profession, I stopped fishing for stripers about 1980, because anything I caught could be one less spawner in a fish population in trouble and going downhill, so I would get a guilty conscious about it. Fishing catch and release felt good for awhile, until we found out about half of what is released died anyway.

Sorry about making waves on your board guys. My bad. :smash:

Slipknot
09-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Fishing catch and release felt good for awhile, until we found out about half of what is released died anyway.

I thank you for fishing catch and release
BUT
I have a real hard time believing about 50% die anyway.
that may be true if bait was used and they were guthooked but the bass I release , I am pretty sure more than 95% live fine since I take the time to carefully release them and I don't fish bait. once in a while a gill may be damaged is about all.

Slipknot
09-15-2010, 08:10 AM
something starnge going on
the last 2 posts don't show up as being noticed, it says Salheart was last post on this thread

but click on it and they are there:confused:

weird

now this post shows :confused:

JohnR
09-15-2010, 08:52 AM
BG - I also believe the 50% mortality rate is in error too. In certain conditions you may approach a 50% rate ('course, some conditions are permanent mortality :devil2: like fillet and release). Yes, a gut-hooked striper out of water for 10 minutes, caught on light tackle, in hot-tub temp water would be on that high end 50% rate (or worse), a properly handled and released fish on the right gear is going to return a much better survivability rate.

I'm concerned because as a marine bio as you state, you are speaking in some of those generalities and casting a large net over other stuff, much as politicos and many environmentalists are casting a net wider than necessary. So if this more of an issue with split shot and rubber cores in brackish waters than why are we being sucked into the hot air vortex as well?

I would like to know more specifics and certainly those where your specialties lie.

I wish I could speak more detailed and more narrowly define my post but I need to go to work before my taxes are increased and my output is further regulated. :devil2: :buds: :wall:

Night Surf
09-15-2010, 09:43 AM
They keep chipping away at us to get us off the water forever. E-Mail sent.