View Full Version : labor day trip

niko
09-06-2010, 07:18 PM
piscator was kind enough to take freebie and myself for a little offshore run today. we ran out about 40 miles (took an hour in his rocket of a boat). we set up a slick and started jigging in 300' of water. as soon as the jigs hit the bottom we were on. my first fish was a bruiser pollock that was taking drag off the torium. we spent the next few hours filling up the fish box w/ cod, pollock, and haddock. we had a nice run of cod from 10-15 pounds with a few bigger in the mix. then the sharks showed up. we hung a few on fiftys and then switched over to spinning gear and light convenches. we spent the rest of the day with rods doubled over and drags screaming. good stuff. thanks dennis

FISHING_FOOL
09-06-2010, 07:20 PM
You guys take the yuppie boat? What did you use for baits? Lobster tails?

niko
09-06-2010, 07:27 PM
freebie dressed to the nines and the boys doubled up

niko
09-06-2010, 07:28 PM
dennis on the spinner and me w/ some meat. the guys should have some pix of the sharks, we put a bluefish carcass on a rope and were playing with one for a while. we also came across a pod of dolphins on the way in - such a cool sight.

ProfessorM
09-06-2010, 07:46 PM
nice trip you had there. this was mine today. Friggin every charter boat in the Bay has been over here. It was like a comm. day for Pete's sake. Between all the campers on the shore and all the boats right on the beach it got old very fast and we didn't do very much in the catching area. We did get right up on a Basking shark today though right on the beach. Thing was at least 15' long.

ProfessorM
09-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Got a nice pic of Sea Dangles boat against the sunrise

Piscator
09-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Fishing Fool, I think Ryan got that shirt at a yard sale.

Niko, I posted on the Big Game board. Here are some of you. Thanks for you expertise today.

big jay
09-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Cool shark pics.

Paul - I don't think I've EVER seen the Rock Harbor guys there. Barnstable, Sesuit, all the time - but never the rock boats. Crazy.

Like the one in the pic though :)

ProfessorM
09-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Hey Jay I saw your dad out there today. It was a friggin zoo. I would need a really wide lens to show how many were there so packed in.

LOL . I just realized I got youz's guys boat in the pic.

big jay
09-06-2010, 08:41 PM
I took the day off - Wife's B-day party last night. I wasn't getting up to work a trip....

Dad says Hi. He got a some good ones in there, but they had to work for them (jigging there for goodness sake).

I'm sure you did your usual damage.

Sea Dangles
09-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Went over looking for you in the boat Jay,oh well.Deadsville in the other spot Paul but at least we were fishing nice and early and beat the fleet.Beautiful morning out there and got a goliath bluefish for the smoker.

freebie
09-07-2010, 06:41 AM
I think a couple of the sharks didn't want us to leave. they were trying to eat the prop off the engine. the groundfishing was unbelievable. as soon as the jig hit bottom it was game on.

fish4striper
09-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Nice job Guys, looks like a fun day!

Van
09-07-2010, 08:13 AM
:kewl::kewl::kewl:

Fillets for the winter.
YUM