View Full Version : Will TV kill stadium sports?

Sweetwater
09-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Media are reporting that NFL season ticket sales are down for the 3rd straight year. This is happening while the popularity of the NFL is sky-rocketing with TV viewership going through the roof.

With wide screen HD TVs being the norm and 3D TVs emerging, I can see a day when the NFL becomes a “studio sport.” Imagine games being played primarily for the camera with only a handful of live fans. It would be like a taping of the Jerry Seinfeld show with the “Applause” sign flashing at the appropriate moments. Or worse, like a taping of a show with no studio audience and just a laugh track played in the background.

I think the NFL rules that require a sell-out (or a near sell-out) to broadcast games locally will go away. In years past, television broadcasts cut into ticket sales but only for the bad markets and poorly supported teams. However, now I think that many fans in strong markets (like New England) simply prefer to watch games at home (regardless of ticket prices) on their giant HD plasma machines with their friends seated comfortably on over-stuffed couches and coolers of cheap store-bought beer an arm reach away. Owners will see that local broadcasts are essential to maintaining interest in the teams.

Will technology kill stadium sports? It may happen sooner than you think.

nightfighter
09-08-2010, 04:45 PM
What is killing all sports attendance on my part is; high priced contracts for the overpaid athletes, Outrageous ticket prices, outrageous concessions, and outrageous parking charges, often for a mediocre show. (and we in New England are spoiled with four major teams who more often than not, are in contention...)

JohnnyD
09-08-2010, 06:11 PM
It already has for me. Why would I want to pay over $100 (plus parking/food/beer) to freeze my butt off sitting in the nosebleed section, when I can sit at home with some good beer and catch 3 games at the same time?

stcroixman
09-08-2010, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE=JohnnyD;793388]It already has for me. Why would I want to pay over $100 (plus parking/food/beer) to freeze my butt off sitting in the nosebleed section, when I can sit at home with some good beer and catch 3 games at the same time?[/QUO

Agreed. I tailgate at home. This could lead to pay tv someday. I won't pay then either

Raider Ronnie
09-08-2010, 07:00 PM
I get a kick out of parking prices for games.
For soccer parking may be $10 - $15
Same parking spot for football $50

JohnnyD
09-08-2010, 07:21 PM
I've lived within 15 minutes of the stadium for 14 years and been to 4 games, and only paid for a Jets game a few years ago. Only two were after October - the Snow Bowl against the Raiders and the Pats-Colts AFC Championship in 2004.

Ronnie, I agree with you. I guess when you're paying over $100 for a ticket in the 300 section, what's another $50 to park split 2-4 ways?

NE-Stripes
09-09-2010, 06:50 AM
I think the biggest reason for the drop in sales is the looming nation wide recession, concert ticket sales are way down as well these are the things people cut out of there budget first. As a long time Pats season ticket holder the parking costs are outrageous $40 a game ads up. That being said there is no comparing watching on tv to being in the stadium allowing you have a good seat, even with the HD I do not enjoy the game as much. TV is over produced and every little aspect is sponsored by a beer company and most commentators are unbearable. But if I didn't have the seats I do I would stay home and watch.

ecduzitgood
09-09-2010, 07:47 AM
I think it has more to do with the prices they charge and the economy being so wobbly. The energy in the air at the stadium can't be experienced through a television screen so there will always be people who will attend the games live. I prefer the convenience of seeing the coverage on the boob tube where I can leave the game if I don't like what I'm seeing and not dwell on it like I would making the long walk to the vehicle and the drive home.