View Full Version : looking for a simple/cheap crab trap

RIJIMMY
09-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Looking for a trap I bait, leave in the water at the dock and then empty when I want to head out fishiing - weekly. I plan to start fishing for tog in Oct and would like something simple. I see all different kinds and some very expensive. Anyone know of any that meet my needs and where I can get them?

Clammer
09-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Jimmy I spend three hours @ night . with open traps & dip nets & can get a 5-6 gallon pail / & its fun .. your kids would have a good time ;;:fishin:

RIJIMMY
09-09-2010, 12:39 PM
we do that too mike - Im thinking something for mid-oct, family wont be by the water much and itll just be me heading out

I just found this and think something like it would workl

Trailer Parts Superstore - Half Size Black Vinyl Coated Crab Pot with Excluder (http://www.easternmarine.com/Half-Size-Black-Vinyl-Coated-Crab-Pot-with-Excluder-/)

J_T_R
09-09-2010, 12:48 PM
If you are near a Building 19, check them out. I have seen them there in the past. Also check Sports Authority.

JLH
09-09-2010, 01:04 PM
You can make one fairly easily and cheap. I have one made out if an old milk crate that works great, usually get about half a 5 gallon bucket full overnight. Wrap the crate in some kind of mesh and use a round Tupperware container with the bottom cut out on top as a way for them to get in.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

niko
09-09-2010, 01:34 PM
funny you put this up. last year we were jumping through hoops trying to find crabs midweek in nov and i was thinking just buy a few crab traps this year

WESTPORTMAFIA
09-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Niko if its late just flip some rocks at low tide and get the very small shore crabs and use them whole. Sometimes the Tog will crush em and not even sniff the cut green crabs. You can use them as small as your thumb nail.

niko
09-09-2010, 04:23 PM
hey jay - if you could fill up a 5 gallon bucket half way with tiny crabs that would be great. call me when you get them and i'll come down and pick it up.:rotf2:

WESTPORTMAFIA
09-09-2010, 04:44 PM
hey jay - if you could fill up a 5 gallon bucket half way with tiny crabs that would be great. call me when you get them and i'll come down and pick it up.:rotf2:

I'll start now ya smart as-s:) You wouldn't need that many anywho. It literally takes 10 minutes to grab a couple hundred. Thats alot of tog.

RoyL
09-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Ive used my eels traps with great success

Pete F.
09-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Niko if its late just flip some rocks at low tide and get the very small shore crabs and use them whole. Sometimes the Tog will crush em and not even sniff the cut green crabs. You can use them as small as your thumb nail.

You can only do that if you are first generation, REAL americans buy their bait or use a gadget and would never be seen bending over picking it.:grins:

RIROCKHOUND
09-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Jimmy: good luck and thanks for the call... a good trap is worth the investment. enough bait and they will hang for a while in there! kids will love it too...

oh... and ask Nebe about blackfish. he is the expert :devil2::devil2: (whats a "tog"

striperman36
09-09-2010, 07:30 PM
eel trap with scup

MarshCappa
09-09-2010, 08:34 PM
funny you put this up. last year we were jumping through hoops trying to find crabs midweek in nov and i was thinking just buy a few crab traps this year

We catch them every weekend on the jetty at GH Paul. We must catch 5-10lbs a day. Kid loves it. I'll start keeping them if you want. We just dump them back in after he's done playing with them in the sand.

niko
09-09-2010, 08:45 PM
thanks cappa but i won't even start targeting them till i'm done with funny fish mid-oct, after that it's tog and tuna till thanksgiving then i'm done till march