View Full Version : Mckenna on season without eels

Zeno
09-12-2010, 04:58 AM
I know a lot of you are big McKenna fans
this accompanied his story in SJ issue #4
YouTube - A Striper Experiment A Season Without Eels with Steve McKenna (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpc3T7i_agM)

Sea Dangles
09-12-2010, 05:38 AM
Stopped in QL on my way out to BI a few weeks ago.I was happy to see Steve was working that afternoon,he is a really nice person who has always been very helpful. Great job on the Journal Z!!!Let me know if you are in the hood so we can fish the honey hole.

ProfessorM
09-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Thanks for that little tid bit. I have had the pleasure of borrowing some of Steves great old plugs over the last couple years for research purposes and he is a pleasure to talk to and very generous, plus you got to like someone that pronounces striped bass the right way.:uhuh:

DZ
09-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Steve is a great guy and a good friend. I could never have done what he did for one month never mind an entire season. Most guys would experiment by going the easy route - use eels exclusively. Steve did just the opposite and went the most challenging way to fish. Being versatile is why he's such a great striped bass fisherman.

DZ

BigFish
09-13-2010, 08:55 AM
It was a great article! I fish wood exclusively as it is.....but if I had to switch to something else like eels or rubber ONLY for an entire season????? That would be a tough adjustment! Steve is a talented fisherman for sure!:uhuh:

BassDawg
09-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Excellent article! Thank you, Zeno, for the new medium and for getting it to us~~ KUDOS!!

Steve is a consumate gentleman and iconic in his representation
of our sport. I will never forget 4 Springs ago when he
personally showed me his rigged sluggo technique and THE retreive.

He always remembers my face and one never walks away from time with him without having learned something about "how-to" do this surfcraziness that we do. He always answers my googanity within the simplest of terms to make the impartation of his knowledge practical~ on my level~ which has aided me immeasurably since the day I met him. The best part is, that he is ALWAYS willing to share what has taken him decades to learn.

THANKS a MILLION is hardly appropiate and can never amount to the wealth of wisdom, depth of direction, and impeccable instruction I've garnered from having known him. still gonna fish the slime off of my eeeeels and rig the sheet out of the ones that die along the Road to Fiddymanjarro; but, i will give the metal lips more consideration, more often, based upon Steve's latest "experiment".

Besides, the TAKE is very cooool on AYC swimmers and who doesn't love the feel of the seductive wobble when attached to braid in the right white water/lower column current/in-and-around ambush structure??