View Full Version : mergansers

Jim O
03-18-2003, 11:51 AM
For the past two weeks the Mattapoisett River has been loaded with Mergansers AKA fish ducks . Their too small to be after the herring ,but they sure seem to be feeding on something . Mergansers are mainly carnivors ,so one would think there must be a ton of bait hanging deep in the water. Thoughts anyone?

striperman
03-18-2003, 12:59 PM
i have a few beautiful antique merganser decoys you could get me to selll if you like that kind of thing.....
never forget going into mac reeds tackle shop and his daughter pat was behind the controls... of this crusty greasy old hot plate... smoke rising from the grease iceicles... "Hey Tony.. you gotta try this" Pat says... she hands me a hunk of greasy gray purple matter... i had to be man enough to try it... yuk yuk yuk,,, could even swallow the thing... she goes Tony guess what it is.... before i die of food poision i say i have no idea... sure aint a porterhouse.... she goes... and you gotta know eric (God bleess his soul) to appreciate this... she says eric was coming up by the rotary when he sees the merganser hit the powerlines and crash in front of a truck which also hit it.... so tone ate some cape cod road kill.... guess u had to be there....
getting back to the question... there sure had to be bairt ther for them to be going wild like that... i saw one two morning ago come up with a baby blackback flounder right infront of the orleans yatch club...

chris L
03-18-2003, 01:42 PM
Tony are you related to the Clampits or the Bodines ? Good story
remind me to tell you sometime about my dinner at a Koreans house in Germany . can we say bow wow and it wasnt road kill .
see ya this weekend .

Ed B
03-18-2003, 02:16 PM
Toneski, do you remember the days when the Reeds used to have their fish cleaning operation in back of the shed for the Rock Harbor charter fleet. They used to fillet the fish and leave the carcases right there to build up the ole compost. There were rats back there that went about three times bigger than you would ever think a rat could grow to be. So one day I'm half asleep out in the back lot waiting for some guys from Worcester to show up. This is in the middle of a summer weekend right in downtown Orleans for those who haven't been there. I see old Mac Reed come out onto his rooftop deck, while I'm in my half asleep state and .. KABOOM !! He blows one of the rats away with the 12 gauge, right there downtown, middle of summer, Tourists out front on the street.

This place was better than the Clampetts. Tony probably has dozens of Mac stories. I probably could only come up with a dozen or so.

ED