TO ME THIS SI A BIG ASS TIRIGGERFISH .

i TOOK THE PHOTO WITH A LARGE SCUP SO YA CAN SEE THE SIZE ;;;

PRBuzz
09-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Way to pull the trigger......nice fish
Large scup, looks like maybe 11"?

fishpoopoo
09-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Crikey. I'm used to catching those in deeper water ... off the coast of NC.

What gives ... water that warm now?????!!!!!

Clammer
09-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Ben / I had them last 3 years ;

it weighted 3.10 ,,,, 24 hours later ><><><:fishin:

Clammer
09-14-2010, 04:57 PM
I don,t know PROF ,

It was the largest scup @ that time ><<><

niko
09-14-2010, 05:03 PM
how do they fight? never caught one

numbskull
09-14-2010, 05:14 PM
They do pretty well for themselves. Here is one one of my sons caught off Nashawena flukeing back in July. Took a lucanus jig with some Gulp on it. Strange fish, indeed.

Brian L
09-14-2010, 05:19 PM
how do they fight? never caught one

I'd put them up against almost anything out there, pound for pound. I got one that was nearly 4 lbs last weekend off a wreck in 60ft of water and thought for sure I'd hooked a 8-10lb fluke. Amazingly strong for their size.

They taste great too, as long as you don't mind using a hacksaw to get through that hide. I saved the skin from the one last weekend, figuring I'd make boots out of it. :)

Fish_Eye
09-14-2010, 06:15 PM
They arrive at the center wall and points off Newport in early July...been making the rounds here for over 30 years. There are lots more these days and they are great eating. Make that GREAT eating. Nice job Mike.

Clammer
09-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks Mike

EarnedStripes44
09-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Nice... Never saw a fish like it before, looks like some tropical aquarium stuff.

Clammer
09-14-2010, 09:21 PM
it is a warm water fish ;

but as things /water change >.we are geting different fish more often ><><><:fishin:

2na
09-15-2010, 08:12 AM
I find a couple of those on the beach (usually close to Race Point) every year come late October-November, just about the same time the Ridley's turtle start washing up. I don't think that they take cold water too well.

MakoMike
09-15-2010, 11:09 AM
We've been catching them for donkey's years on the west grounds while scup fishing. They have small mouths, which is probably why we don't catch them when targeting other species.

Fishoholic
09-15-2010, 04:04 PM
They arrive at the center wall and points off Newport in early July...been making the rounds here for over 30 years. There are lots more these days and they are great eating. Make that GREAT eating. Nice job Mike.

Ever had them nip at you?

MakoMike
09-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Ever had them nip at you?

I got bit once, that was enough. Now I am very careful handling them. I treat them with as much respect as I give a blue claw.

Raven
09-15-2010, 06:39 PM
they must be a specialized eater... or they crunch real hard stuff?

they have a mouth/ head like fish that eat coral - LOOKS like?

interesting.

timmah
09-15-2010, 06:52 PM
They seem to have no fear when snorkeling too. They just swim right up to check you out.

Clammer
09-15-2010, 08:34 PM
oh , this fish & a couple last season were caught in the middle/upper bay ;;
nowhere near deep or open water ><><><

saltydog
09-16-2010, 07:35 AM
Raven, a number of years back I tied a fly for a guy down south who wanted to fly fish for them, he said the big one where he lived eat urchins, they BLOW on them turning them over an start EATING from there SOFT BELLYS,breaking them open an finnishing them off.
urchin fly--> if you wish to see it PM an Ill post in flyfishing section.
GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN:uhuh:

Raven
09-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Crikey. I'm used to catching those in deeper water ... off the coast of NC.

What gives ... water that warm now?????!!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
with the way the gulf stream flows (it's power)

i'm not so sure that the submerged oil from the spill
won't get caught up in it and eventually make its way north

i hope not..... anyway

but deforestation in africa and south america at a rate
the size of rhode island land mass per day
is causing an affect on weather and ocean temperatures
in a rapid change scenario

JohnnySaxatilis
09-16-2010, 09:37 AM
I saved the skin from the one last weekend, figuring I'd make boots out of it. :)

The name of the cottage my parents rented every summer for like 17 years on ACK was called the "Eel skin in", and the guy who owned it had like dried up trigger fish on the wall along with like 20 or so striper plugs as well as a sword fish and wat looked like a saw that belonged to a fish. never really knew what the hell it was until i saw a pic of a trigger fish earlier this year.

The place has since been rennovated and all that stuff cleared out. what a shame. I only fished with rangers back then, but i can't even imagine what kind of plugs i was looking at, or more like ignoring at that young age

:smokin: memories... whoa

kenyee
09-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Someone caught two today on the frances fleet porgy boat. I was hoping to catch one as well because someone on the boat said it was great tasting too. Crazy porgy trip today...most people limited out...must have killed 500 fish. They need to bring the limit down to 20...40 is crazy...

RoyL
09-16-2010, 09:42 PM
I've seen them around the vinyard the last few year, but this year they were super early........Very good eating fish