View Full Version : Leftovers startegies , what makes any leftover taste good?

Saltheart
09-14-2010, 05:09 PM
I always end up with leftovers. I really enjoy the next day kind of thing but then I'm tired of it. Most often there are several days worth of leftovers so then I get board and don't eat them and they sometimes spoil.

What's some good ideas for using up leftovers that won't make you feel like you are eating the same damned thing every day after the main meal they were cooked for.

One thing that works pretty good is boiling them into a can of stewed tomatoes. It can be meat or leftover pasta or vegetables , etc , they all taste pretty good to me when boiled up with a can of stewed tomatoes for 15 or 20 minutes.

Another thig that works pretty good is to mash it up and pan fry it. Almost anything can be mushed up and formed into patties and friend in a frypan with butter. that gives it a crispy outside and a buttery taste that hits you tongue first. You can also add some spices etc when you mash it up. It also really zips things up if you add cheese to the mash. the cheese melts as you are refrying the stuff and makes itself into a sauce inside the mashed patties. :)

Anyway , what are some of your favorite ways of using up leftovers after you get sick of eating them as just reheated whatever they were in the first place?

O.D. Mike
09-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Redhot Redhot Redhot

Nebe
09-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Left over meat always makes a good stir fry over rice
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

tattoobob
09-14-2010, 05:39 PM
I don't eat leftovers

JamesJet
09-14-2010, 06:10 PM
I always try to somehow turn it into mexican or asian. it always makes nice fajitas or tacos (we seem to always have wraps and cheese around) and as someone said stir fry or even home made lo mien with ramen noodles. Oh also sandwiches for work. a good roll and mayo/ mustard and some peppers or pickles and its makes a good one.

striperman36
09-14-2010, 06:23 PM
red hot!!

BigFish
09-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Heat and a fork! Good to go!!!:drool:

Raven
09-14-2010, 06:56 PM
mango sauce

or eating them off nakid women

striperman36
09-14-2010, 07:19 PM
mango sauce

or eating them off nakid women

you might want to qualify the nakid

WESTPORTMAFIA
09-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Salt both ways seem pretty gross to me:confused: I usually eat leftovers cold or room temp and if its possible toss it into a couple slices of bread and make a sandwich. Cold spaghetti sandwiches are actually not too bad especially if its with meat sauce. The best is pizza or left out overnight just the way it is or cold Chinese.

Saltheart
09-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Cold Chinese!!!! Talk about gross. :)

I think its safe to say I have eaten more meals in China than anyone else here but there is no way I will eat chinese leftovers , even if originally cooked in Cumberland , without reheating them to piping (and germ free) hot again!! :yak6:

Not me

On the other hand though , I don't know anybody who doesn't like cold pizza for breakfast. Now that's what I call health food. :)

WESTPORTMAFIA
09-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Cold Chinese!!!! Talk about gross. :)

I think its safe to say I have eaten more meals in China than anyone else here but there is no way I will eat chinese leftovers , even if originally cooked in Cumberland , without reheating them to piping (and germ free) hot again!! :yak6:

Not me

On the other hand though , I don't know anybody who doesn't like cold pizza for breakfast. Now that's what I call health food. :)

The cold Chinese is great especially on the meat when the grease dries up nice and thick white.

tattoobob
09-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Salt both ways seem pretty gross to me:confused: I usually eat leftovers cold or room temp and if its possible toss it into a couple slices of bread and make a sandwich. Cold spaghetti sandwiches are actually not too bad especially if its with meat sauce. The best is pizza or left out overnight just the way it is or cold Chinese.

You wouldn't catch me eating any of that stuff, talk about gross

O.D. Mike
09-16-2010, 04:54 AM
[QUOTE=Saltheart;795002]Cold Chinese!!!! Talk about gross. :)

"Not me"
I like crab rangoons cold with duck sauce:drool: Try it sometime...

Oh, what about cold corn on the cob, spiral ham(reminds me of beef jerky):drool:, American chop suey, pulled pork, lobster, the list goes on? :D

ecduzitgood
09-16-2010, 07:04 AM
There's always smoking to enhance you appetite:devil2:

Mike P
09-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Re-heating them works for me :grins:

I look at it this way--if I didn't like the meal, I toss the leftovers. If I liked it, I'll enjoy them as leftovers just the way I ate it.

Slingah
09-16-2010, 09:09 PM
try this :
1. buy a baby pig (piglet)
2. feed pig leftovers
3. when pig gets too big, kill pig (try not to get too attached)
4. butcher pig, freeze and eat as needed
5. throw away any leftovers

Rockport24
09-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Most things I just like to eat as they were originally, especially pasta. Meat is a tough one cause it can be dried out, so sometimes you can make a nice sauce or gravy or something to spice it up a little.

One thing I hate leftover is fish! Shellfish not so bad, but any kind of finfish, it just gets gross!

Omlets or fritattas are always good with leftovers and cheese!

The Dad Fisherman
09-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Some leftovers get better w/ age....Stews, Pasta Sauces, Stuffed peppers and cabbage.

Mike P
09-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Some leftovers get better w/ age....Stews, Pasta Sauces, Stuffed peppers and cabbage.

And chowder :btu:

spence
09-17-2010, 05:16 PM
And chowder :btu:

For a friends 40th birthday a few weeks ago, I made a killer lobster and scallop risotto (with tarragon and pea shoots) it was really, really good. I put a lot of energy into refining the stock.

The next day I used the extra lobster stock to make a seafood chowder.

The next day after that, the chowder was even better...good lord it was good.

-spence

SurfCaster413
09-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Damn am hungry now, how come there are never any left overs at my house?