View Full Version : Freshwater Stripers?

CJ21
09-15-2010, 06:20 PM
I am wondering do any of you guys, fish for freshwater stripers? If so how do you fish for them and what rig do you use?

FishermanTim
09-16-2010, 10:00 AM
The only freshwater stripers here in the northeast are ones that follow baitfish upstream. The same lures that are used in saltwater can be used in fresh.

CJ21
09-16-2010, 11:44 AM
What about live bait?

influx99
09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
I used to fish freshwater (landlocked) stripers in TN and GA when I lived there, primarily in tailwaters where the water was cold.

We troll the rivers (with the current) with live river shad on planer boards. The bigger the baits the better, usually about a foot long. We would use a jet boat to run the shallow rivers. Use the electric trolling motors on the bow, guiding the planer boards up against the banks and cover. These rivers were small enough in some cases where 2 planer boards could cover both sides of the river.

We would also throw stuff like fin-s-fish, redfins, and large topwaters. Not much deviation than what you throw in the salt. Everything we threw was pretty big because the river shad and trout were the primary forage.

The river-caught stripers are much fatter than what we catch up this way. Guess that's what happens when you don't have to migrate a thousand miles twice a year.