View Full Version : GUN SHOT IN THE SURF

JohnnySaxatilis
09-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Snapped my rod on a fish today, was having a great time all by myself trying to haul the fat a$$ on a jetty during rough surf:drool:. then POWWW I still managed to get her to safety and release all beautiful 40" of her, becuase she deffinately got the better of me :)

Lets hear some rod snapping stories from you salty mofo's, or any kinda gear FAIL tails :jump1:

Swimmer
09-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Snapped my rod on a fish today, was having a great time all by myself trying to haul the fat a$$ on a jetty during rough surf:drool:. then POWWW

Lets hear some rod snapping stories from you salty mofo's, or any kinda gear FAIL tails :jump1:

I was hauling a large seven #er last Monday on a 13' Ron Arra rod when the top two feet snapped off without so much as a wimper. Broke without shattering, which is common, almost as if it was cut most of the way through. The rod was special. I took an 11' foot Arra and fitted an extension to the butt and at cast a country friekin mile.

I have another blank on order to replace this one, and make the rod the very same length and way.

Oh it was at least seven #'s maybe less.:fury:

RIROCKHOUND
09-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Ask John R....
we both had a d'oh moment that night!

numbskull
09-18-2010, 06:24 AM
Broke a GSB96M (which I had cut 6-8" off the tip and was using as a light codfish rod) midshaft while trying to pull free of a snag. That sucker came back at me and cut a nasty gouge in the back of my hand.

Popped a xra1083 trying to hold a fish on a steep cobble beach when I high-sticked bending forward to grab the leader. Ended up better on the rebuild so that worked out.

Broken numerous flyrods in all sorts of brilliant ways, usually invovling gas cans or my butt.

SurfCaster413
09-18-2010, 10:13 AM
I have broke 2 at the canal and 1 in rhode island this year alone, 3rd one I just had to laugh about it. Time for some heavy duety costume rods to be built this winter

JohnR
09-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Ask John R....
we both had a d'oh moment that night!

IIRC - mine was embarrassing stupidity, yours was costly embarrassing stupidity :devil2:

JohnnySaxatilis
09-18-2010, 10:56 AM
IIRC - mine was embarrassing stupidity, yours was costly embarrassing stupidity :devil2:

please explain :)

Karl F
09-18-2010, 08:03 PM
DAMN and I thought this thread was about seal encounters in the surf, with a "good" ending...

WESTPORTMAFIA
09-19-2010, 03:05 AM
Johnny boy!!!!!!!!! I thought you gave up fishing.

JohnnySaxatilis
09-19-2010, 06:57 AM
nah i figured i just wouldnt tell you when i was fishing so i could catch something :rotf2: where the hell you been!?

RIROCKHOUND
09-19-2010, 08:38 AM

Yup.
high sticked a mid-teen bass on a 1321 b/c I was lazy at the end of the night... oops

At least I didn't leave the hook protectors on my Salty Bugger....

UserRemoved1
09-19-2010, 08:50 AM
ahahahahahahahahaha he did it again?

We're switching to a new color :hee:

DMenace
09-19-2010, 09:58 AM
I was testing out the action of several different lures on the outgoing tide from the middle of Black's Creek Bridge on Wolllaston Blvd in Quincy. I saw two hot looking chicks walking down thew blvd my way and thought if they saw how far I casted it, I'd be able to strike up a conversation.Timed it out so that I'd have a 4oz tin ready for when they reached me. As soon as I threw it, the top half of my rod took off with the lure. It didnt break the rod or the line, so when the tin hit the water it sank like a stone. I reeled in as fast as I could, snagged the tin on some seaweed about 100yds away, got the line tight and watched as the top half of my rod slid right down the line submerged somewhere in the weeds with my tin. Some guy was fly casting cracking up watching the whole thing, and the two girls wouldn't even have noticed me if I lit myself on fire.

Brian L
09-19-2010, 10:04 AM
I snapped a Loomix IMX 786 when tog fishing. I had been using it as a live bait rod for fishing giant shiners for Largemouth, but converted it into a tog/seabass/etc.. rod with a bigger handle and heavier guides. We were hooking up every drop, and I felt a bump, but the bump was a rock. Set super hard and the rod popped. Very expensive mistake..

Frankiesurf
09-19-2010, 05:47 PM
I had a tin in the wash that got swept under my boot without me realizing it. I took a step forward and lifted my rod at the same time and SNAP!

Johnny, I am sure it didn't help whether you were with or without Jay.:biglaugh:

WESTPORTMAFIA
09-19-2010, 08:17 PM
I had a tin in the wash that got swept under my boot without me realizing it. I took a step forward and lifted my rod at the same time and SNAP!

Johnny, I am sure it didn't help whether you were with or without Jay.:biglaugh:

Yo....... FRANK= YANKEES SUCK. Congrats on the good season and a couple PB's that I know about. Did you get the 3rd PB this year? Either way you and the Yanks suck. Hit me up if you want to come down and hit the wash (reefs) with sexy sax and a couple of guys we know. It's time for a good bite at some spots not fished this year.

JohnnySaxatilis
09-20-2010, 06:11 AM

oh man frankie you're freakin HILARIOUS. you hurt sexy sax's feelings. now you must admit that the yankees are a bunch of hack job cry baby bed wettin pillow biters, then come to fish with me and jay and consume much legal and possibly illegal substances afterwards. :yak5: o wait thats ice fishing season. anyway get ur scrawny ass$ uphere soon

Mr. Sandman
09-20-2010, 06:33 AM
Popped a xra1083 casting a two once habs. A dealer was standing right next to me when it exploded and then folded over like a limp ____. He called them, I even paid to send it it back...no luck, would not stand behind their product. Buh-bye! ( I don't think they knew how much $$,$$$.$$ I spend on gear each year, I told them but they didn't care) A few months later they called and asked me would I like (to pay) to have the pieces returned to me.:biglaugh: I told them to shove it.
no service --- no customer, end of story.

Nebe
09-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Popped a xra1083 casting a two once habs. A dealer was standing right next to me when it exploded and then folded over like a limp ____. He called them, I even paid to send it it back...no luck, would not stand behind their product. Buh-bye! ( I don't think they knew how much $$,$$$.$$ I spend on gear each year, I told them but they didn't care) A few months later they called and asked me would I like (to pay) to have the pieces returned to me.:biglaugh: I told them to shove it.
no service --- no customer, end of story.

What? I thought they had a great warrante ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Frankiesurf
09-20-2010, 05:42 PM
You guys are awesome. The Sox couldn't even sniff the Yanks a$$ this year and the Yanks are on their way to their 28th Championship.

I don't think I will be making it up there anytime soon. Too much crap on my plate in the next month or so. I will be up in the spring though and make a few days to come up by you Jay.

Sexy Sax huh? Was it wearing the hat in P-town that gave you that name? I saw a guy with the same color hat today and thought " that guy must be gay, I wonder if he knows Johnny?"

JohnnySaxatilis
09-20-2010, 05:57 PM
actually that was just berthed, and will be my nick name forever. and no not becuase you wonder if random guys you c are gay. becuase im drillin with the augor on 48 yr old dust bags nightly.

hijack over.... continue