View Full Version : Prices of Surf Bags

tattoobob
09-20-2010, 06:07 PM
I have to say that paying up to $600.00 for a surf bag is way to much for me, the way I beat the crap out of stuff.

I had a hard time paying $95.00 for a single row Aqua Skinz.

what are the great advantages of having a bag that costs that much?

BigFish
09-20-2010, 06:10 PM
You won't have any more money to waste!:uhuh:

surfflyfish
09-20-2010, 06:14 PM
You won't have any more money to waste!:uhuh:

yup, one stop shop,once and for all.:wall:

PaulS
09-20-2010, 06:15 PM
[QUOTE=tattoobob;796311
what are the great advantages of having a bag that costs that much?[/QUOTE]

Not having to constantly cut hooks out of the material and not having the seams rip when your trying to climb on a rock spilling all your plugs out.

I have a commando 3 tube bag and will be getting a 4 tube. They'll be the last bags I ever get.

afterhours
09-20-2010, 06:19 PM
i agree with paul, i have hunter and mak bags- no worries....

likwid
09-20-2010, 06:23 PM
The pricing is hilarious.
Dacron is about as cheap as you can get. :rotf2:

Pete F.
09-20-2010, 06:44 PM
I'd have to guess you could get an upholsterer to make you one for a lot less.
Even less if pretty does'nt count.

likwid
09-20-2010, 06:52 PM
I'd have to guess you could get an upholsterer to make you one for a lot less.
Even less if pretty does'nt count.

Upholsterer, sailmaker, canvas maker, anyone that uses heavy duty sewing machines.

ivanputski
09-20-2010, 07:09 PM
300 bucks is a lot of money for something you're going to forget in a parking lot one night at 3am!

Sea Dangles
09-20-2010, 07:38 PM
I think Numbskull made one last winter just to spite those who procrastinate.

The Dad Fisherman
09-20-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm a cheap bastard...I can't see spending that much for a "Surf Purse"...I'll wait for the Knock-offs to hit the streets

Swimmer
09-20-2010, 07:42 PM
i agree with paul, i have hunter and mak bags- no worries....

Not for nothing, but if the guys here start spending the kind of money necessary to buy Hunter/Mak bags they wont have a dime left to buy your plugs, or anyone elses Don.

FISHING_FOOL
09-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Who is selling $600 plug bags???

MikeToole
09-20-2010, 07:46 PM
The only problem with those high price bags is you have to fish in the day light so everyone can see you with it. :biglaugh:

likwid
09-20-2010, 07:51 PM
The only problem with those high price bags is you have to fish in the day light so everyone can see you with it. :biglaugh:

They stick out like a sore thumb just after sundown amongst the MTK rocks. :rotf2:

JohnnyD
09-20-2010, 09:56 PM

There was one in the classified. I was shocked it went so quickly. Could never rationalize spending that kind of money on something I'll beat the crap out of and, more than likely, lose.

Raven
09-21-2010, 04:45 AM
the latest rage in Ladies purses Like TDF calls them :hs:

i got a bunch of nice off white canvas and i enjoy big nasty curved stitching needles
so i will take pride in designing and making my own.
over the winter.

That way if it ever gets ripped off the thief won't get to use it.

Hey George? you have the plan?

rizzo
09-21-2010, 06:55 AM
In all reality, get a zipper soft sided cooler. Throw 8 -10 eels in it with some lure tubes. 6 lures should be plenty. Each spot you fish should have one or two lures that perform the best there. If you're constantly changing lures, you're missing fishing time. There is really no need to carry 100 lures on you.

RIJIMMY
09-21-2010, 07:44 AM
In all reality, get a zipper soft sided cooler. Throw 8 -10 eels in it with some lure tubes. 6 lures should be plenty. Each spot you fish should have one or two lures that perform the best there. If you're constantly changing lures, you're missing fishing time. There is really no need to carry 100 lures on you.

did that for years with no problem. had my lures and leaders in heavy duty zip locks. I think the cooler cost me 6 bucks at walmart, plastic zipper never rusted and it had holes already on the bottom to drain water.

PaulS
09-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Trying to dig a hook out of material on a pitch black night while standing on a rock getting pushed around will show you the value of spending $ for a bag that doesn't get hooks on it. Fishing from the sand or a boat, its not necessary.

BigFish
09-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Its highway robbery! I thought $150 was alot for a bag not too long ago.......but I bought one along with alot of other people......now because we did they raise the bar and people buy the "must have" bags! And in this economy no less!:smash:

Chris in Mass
09-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Van Staal bags are great - lightweight, alot of velcro, don't retain water or hooks. Not outrageously priced either,

fishbones
09-21-2010, 08:43 AM
I went through 3 bags in less than 2 years because I couldn't rationalize spending a lot on a plug bag, and I'm pretty good about taking care of my stuff. I started this year off with a Precision Pak Ocean Shield 2 and it made it through 3 trips before it started falling apart. Then I got the single row Aquaskinz and it's done fine for me. It fits enough plugs and tins and is small enough that it doesn't get heavy after a long night. There's no sign of wear and tear or seams coming apart. My only gripe is that it doesn't have a holder for a water bottle. That bag cost me $86 and I had to convince myself that it was worth it.

nightfighter
09-21-2010, 09:13 AM
I finally decided on the AS smal and small tall bags on a belt. Often only need to take one, or the other. Much of the decision was to take any weight and wear off my shoulders. Works for me. They have held up well, and I can move them around to always feel balanced. $400-600 makes me think more than twice, even for a reel, which I consider one of the most critical pieces of equipment. Would not even consider that kind of price tag for a bag....

Mugz
09-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Bob,

The high priced bags make everyone THINK your are an experienced and accomplished fisherman....you didn't know this?
Plus, they help you catch WAY more fish.......and you'll look dam good doing it!!!:rotf2:

JackK
09-21-2010, 09:41 AM
My $100 VS single row has performed admirably for me. Plenty of velcro, hooks don't get stuck (unless I cram extra plugs in beside the tubes, then they invariably get stuck in the bottom of the bucktail pouches), and it drains + dries quick. One of the best investments I've made in this hobby.

I'd like a custom bag for sure (six tubes would be ideal, and I like the idea of a white interior to better see plugs at night), but I can't justify spending the loot when I have one that does the trick just fine.

I've heard iffy things about the MAK bags as well. I don't have one, but some people have told me that their quality is mostly from hype, and they don't stand up to the abuse. Take it with a grain of salt, and I'm sure that there are plenty of people that really like theirs, but it makes me think twice before shelling out a bunch of bills.

Fishoholic
09-21-2010, 10:41 AM
I think it's pretty funny how one of the best guys in New England uses an old mayo jar full of snakes and out fishes about everyone.

I have a 50$ shimano bag that has treated me very well. I beat the hell out of it and never have any problems. My only complaint is the narrow tubes but I pulled 2 out and replaced with a emerald peanuts plastic jar that fits my biggest pikies.

Mike P
09-21-2010, 11:28 AM
It's pretty simple, really: buy the bag that you need, and don't buy more bag than you need.

If you do a lot of deep wading, or swim to rocks, buy the best bag you can afford.

If you fish the Canal or only stand at the surf line, don't buy more bag than you need.

You can insert plugs nose down and hang the tail hook over the top of an insert--and presto--no more hooks getting caught in the drain holes of cheap inserts. Or, don't use tail hooks on swimmers.

Pete_G
09-21-2010, 11:54 AM
It's pretty simple, really: buy the bag that you need, and don't buy more bag than you need.

If you do a lot of deep wading, or swim to rocks, buy the best bag you can afford.

If you fish the Canal or only stand at the surf line, don't buy more bag than you need.

You can insert plugs nose down and hang the tail hook over the top of an insert--and presto--no more hooks getting caught in the drain holes of cheap inserts. Or, don't use tail hooks on swimmers.

Logic prevails...

Mike P
09-21-2010, 02:55 PM
There's also something to be said for spending what you have to for quality gear that will stand up to beatings.

How many people resist spending $800 for a VS, Saltiga, or ZB, and instead spend $150 on a reel, and burn out the gears after 2-3 seasons? In 10 years you'll spend more than you would have spent by buying the quality reel once.

I tried all last winter to convince my fishing partner to just bite the bullet, and buy a Saltiga for Canal jigging and plugging. He was switching to spinning after 40 years of jigging with conventionals, the last 30 almost exclusively Newells--which he'd also burn out regularly. He went for the $150 Emblem Pro instead, and after 100+ nights of jigging, and 30 mornings throwing 2-3 oz plugs, the gears are already going, and he has another month of fishing ahead of him.

Now he's thinking of replacing it with a Saltist over the winter, so he's already almost halfway to the price of a Saltiga, and no guarantee that the Saltist won't burn up in 2 seasons, after which it'll be another deuce to replace it.

On the other hand, both of us bought the $240 Mojo 10-1/2 footer from St Croix instead of the $450 Legend, and both of us couldn't be more pleased with the Mojo's performance. It was a much better value for the dollar--so the most expensive also isn't necessarily always the best way to spend your money, if you're getting good value for the dollar.

Reels break and wear faster than rods. You can get great service out of a $100 Tica or Tsunami rod. But well built reels with quality metal critical components give you more for the dollar than reels with cast white metal gears.

There's spending money foolishly, and spending it wisely. Spending big money on a bag that's going to sit on the rocks, or stay slung over your shoulder while you're standing in the wash or along the shore of a bay, isn't spending it wisely IMO. Spending it on a bag that will remain tightly closed while you swim to a rock or skish, and has stitching that will stand up to salt water, and materials that won't tear on rocks, is spending it wisely.

If you fish 20 times a year, and toss plugs from the shore or from gentle surf, all you need is the $100 reel. Even if your reels don't go swimming, if you fish 100 nights a year and routinely crank 3, 4 and 5 oz lead against a 4 knot current, that $100 reel isn't long for the world.

tattoobob
09-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Agreed Mike, I have not once had a problem with any of my Aqua Skinz bags falling apart, I put my tail hooks in first nose up on the longer needles and Pencils, short plugs hang nicely from the insert. I'm not sure why your hooks are getting hung up in the bag maybe over loading? swimming deep wading and climbing with mine I even feel down a 75 foot cliff with no damage to the bag

PaulS
09-21-2010, 06:06 PM
There's also something to be said for spending what you have to for quality gear that will stand up to beatings.

There's spending money foolishly, and spending it wisely. Spending big money on a bag that's going to sit on the rocks, or stay slung over your shoulder while you're standing in the wash or along the shore of a bay, isn't spending it wisely IMO. Spending it on a bag that will remain tightly closed while you swim to a rock or skish, and has stitching that will stand up to salt water, and materials that won't tear on rocks, is spending it wisely.

Not according to some of the people here.

Bob,

The high priced bags make everyone THINK your are an experienced and accomplished fisherman....you didn't know this?
Plus, they help you catch WAY more fish.......and you'll look dam good doing it!!!:rotf2:

Tunabreath
09-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Go get 'em Paul !!

Pete F.
09-21-2010, 08:17 PM
I think some surf fishermen are getting Orvised up.
All hat, no cattle.
Like to hang out in the parking lot and talk.
Actually I think it's skinned up

Surf Caster
09-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Van Staal bags are great - lightweight, alot of velcro, don't retain water or hooks. Not outrageously priced either,

Yep, I love my Van Staal single row bag... better than I like my aquaskinz large back.

Think its a great products for $100 (relative to the price of other bags). However, some of those commando bags are nice!

Mike P
09-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Agreed Mike, I have not once had a problem with any of my Aqua Skinz bags falling apart, I put my tail hooks in first nose up on the longer needles and Pencils, short plugs hang nicely from the insert. I'm not sure why your hooks are getting hung up in the bag maybe over loading? swimming deep wading and climbing with mine I even feel down a 75 foot cliff with no damage to the bag

Hooks can penetrate the thin plastic walls of cheaply made inserts when you try to remove a plug. Canyon bags are especially noted for this. Same with the BW bags. This can happen whether the plug is nose up or nose down.

Hard plastic inserts, if they're cheap, will crack if the bag smashes against a rock.

With well made inserts, neither will happen. Some have larger drain holes in the bottom that the point of a hook can get through and cause the plug to become stuck in the bag.

The well-designed and well thought out bags have none of these problems. It doesn't mean that you need to spend $300+ for one, but you should look for those features in a bag.

The old Surfcaster Deluxe bag was a hell of a buy for around $130 if you didn't need to carry more than 4 big plugs. The front row of the inserts would only carry 4" or 5" plugs.

Frankiesurf
09-21-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't have one of these high end bags but I have some friends who do. The Maks, Commandos, and Ebb points are really well made. The price may be prohibitive for some (like me :( ) but you can get them made how you want them. If you want a rind holder here and a water bottle there with this many bucktail pouches and d-rings all over the place then that is what you get. That is the one huge benefit since there are no bags out there that fill every one of my needs.

Green Light
09-21-2010, 10:40 PM
I just have two questions:

1. Is the $600 plug bag made by Gucci?
2. Does it come with gold plugs?

Vogt
09-22-2010, 07:06 AM
I got sick and tired of killing every bag that I bought. Aquaskinz was destroyed in less than two months. Had it repairded, then destroyed it again. Next was Bronko, which lasted a bit longer, but also ripped apart.

I certainly dont consider myself an "Orvis Catalog" surfcaster. I have gear that works. I can get away with $150 waders and $50 wetsuits, but as far as bags go it seems that $100 doesnt get you that great of a product.

I fish hard. On average I would say 4 nights a week. My gear, including my bag, is completely submerged 80% of the time. Not to mention, getting slammed into rocks, etc... I needed a bag that would stand up to heavy abuse.

And BTW ... You ceretainly dont need to spend $600 to get a good sturdy bag.

Spiderman
09-22-2010, 04:34 PM
The $600 bag was probably the Hunter bag that originally retailed for $350 before all these upstart bag makers in the last couple of years. Hunter made excellent bags before closing shop. I hear he is preparing to open again. Anyway he amassed a big following and a longer waiting list for the only true custom bag available. Part of that $600 price is the collectible aspect i guess.
There are many quality custom bags available now for around $300. I've seen the Commando and it is a nice bag. The nice thing about most of these new lure bag makers is they are built 1 at a time and are true custom bags. If you want extra buck tail slots or a pork rind bottle holder, belt clips or even a flap that opens the opposite way you can get it that way.
I have several bags including Coastal and the original black Van Staal that are close to 20 years and still going strong. A good bag is worth the price. I hate when my gear falls apart or a manufacturer does not stand behind their product.
Some dont really need it but if you swim or fish hard buy the best you can afford. If you get tossed by a wave and lose all your plugs you will wish you had that extra velcro to keep it closed.
By the way most of the ideas in these new bags came from Steve Campo down here on Long Island who sold a few of his hand stitched bags for $500 over 20 years ago.

ivanputski
09-22-2010, 10:13 PM
my father is a master tailor of 45 years... I never even thought of asking him to make me a bag... some things are so obvious, you never think of them! So what does a bag that holds 10 eels and 3 plugs look like???

SAUERKRAUT
09-23-2010, 03:57 PM
I think Numbskull made one last winter just to spite those who procrastinate.

He made at least two bags...I got one!

FishermanTim
09-23-2010, 04:15 PM

Can you get it monogrammed?
Does it come with matching boots?
How about a vanity mirror and measuring tape with gold-plated tab?
Just how many plugs can it carry, and will I need to get a new one when next season comes around? :biglaugh::rotf2::biglaugh:

wader-dad
09-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Nick with Ken at EbbPoint make top of the line bags which I think are better made then Jimmy's bags were.

I have an early prototype 3 tube bag from Ken that I had made to my design with a large pocket in front for sluggos and rigged eels- and a pork rind pocket and bucktail holders and a pocket in the flap for leaders. I don't like all of this excessive velcro which drives me nuts so I had just an inch and a half of velcro put on the flap with a one handed buckle to keep the main flap closed and a buckle for the front pocket. In the spring, the front pocket was designed to hold a plano box for small rubber- instead of the rigged eels.

So the moral of the story is that it is worth paying some money if you can get the bag custom designed with everything you want for how you fish.

And it cost 14 percent of the Louis Vuitton hand bag I got my loving wife last Christmas.

Adam_777
09-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Just packed my AS small/tall.The fabric around the top that catches hooks is almost torn right off.The flap has been cut multiple times on the inside.It still holds plugs and sits on my belt just fine.Beat...but I think I bought it for under 50 bucks a couple years back.I have backups but that one fits my belt and holds the right amount of plugs for me.I haven't seen a 3 tube bag with a reasonable price tag on it.May just get another of the same and customize the spots that rip apart and collect hooks.Can't see spending big bucks on a bag to hold fishing lures that will never get washed cleaned or rinsed.Eel and bunker potion will seep into it ,fish slime and guts will help decorate the exterior.:buds:

rizzo
09-23-2010, 05:33 PM
So what does a bag that holds 10 eels and 3 plugs look like???

Me and some buddies have a great bag design that is exaclty what youre talking about. It includes an insulated zipper pouch for eels/riggies (holds 12) for the long 24 hour island trips overnighters. Water shares a wall so it stays cool. 3 tubes for plugs built in. Chest and shoulder strap. Has a bungie/rip stop nylon collapseable top to store a dry top.

Take a look at some of the inovations in rock and ice climbing bags. Black diamond and patagonia, plus other custom makers have some nice products to model after. Light weight is key!

rizzo
09-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Winter project, but we might network with a premier surfcasting bag manufacturer to get this design out there.

pcfisherman
09-25-2010, 09:11 AM
I do own a high end bag and it is worth every penny. Can't agree enough with Paul S about digging hooks out or having a bag fall apart after you just walked 2 miles and you are in the middle of no where with nothing to fix it. It sucks, so I personally don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks on a bag that will last a life time. By the way...just noticed you could win a new custom surf bag on a particular site......(C) for your(S)elf

The moral of the story is - do you by something with a life time guarantee for $300 or do you spend $100 every year or even every other year.

Thumper
09-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Nice to meet u last night pc, sorry the guy I was with was an a**. Some ppl just don't like changes or understand different ways of fishing.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

TheSpecialist
09-25-2010, 11:07 AM
The pricing is hilarious.
Dacron is about as cheap as you can get. :rotf2:

You forgot to mention the overseas labor.. :grins:

The Dad Fisherman
09-25-2010, 10:25 PM
The moral of the story is - do you by something with a life time guarantee for $300 or do you spend $100 every year or even every other year.

How's that lifetime guarantee work if the company is gone 2 years from now?

tattoobob
09-26-2010, 08:09 AM

It's the companies life not yours

luds
09-26-2010, 09:44 AM

The quality is practically a lifetime guarantee. Have you seen these bags? The MAK and Cammandos are bullet proof. So were the Hunters.

pcfisherman
09-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Sorry I mis-spoke - what I mean is if you buy a custom bag that is well built it should last a lifetime. I echo what Luds mentions in the above thread.

Look at the featherlite surf bags that are still around. These bags are made to last.