View Full Version : Remember river herring? I do.

flatts1
09-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Remember river herring?
By MIKE FLAHERTY

New Bedford Standard Times

September 14, 2010

I remember being able to take up to 48 river herring per week from the Middleboro herring run. It was a very well-managed run, as there were upwards of four wardens on hand to ensure folks only took what they were allowed.

I remember taking my 2-year-old son to the run, and he would play with the herring swimming in the bucket as I netted them. I remember giving some to my elderly neighbor who liked to eat them. Most of all, I remember what great bait they were. They don't call them striper candy for nothing.

Ah, the good old days.

So when fishery managers told us that river herring were in really tough shape and needed help, the recreational fishing community in Massachusetts sucked it up as we usually do in such times and said, "OK. Let's give them a break." So we agreed to the state's ban on the possession of river herring. As those involved will remember, the ban meant no possession whatsoever — not on your person, not on your hook, not even leftovers in your freezer from the year before the ban. Zip, zilch, nada, zero!

Prior to Massachusetts, Rhode Island had enacted a similar ban. Connecticut before them. That's what we as conservation-minded recreational fishermen do. We take the long view, sacrificing today for a better tomorrow. At least that's how it is supposed to work.

Unfortunately with river herring management, somehow things got turned upside down on their head. I had no idea at the time that the ban did not apply to commercial fishermen in the sea herring fishery. And I bet the rest of those in New England who supported the river herring bans in their state had no clue either. Now, these days, as I wait year after year for some good news that will allow us to lift the ban, I'm forming a whole different set of memories when it comes to river herring.

I remember learning from Massachusetts state biologist Dr. Mike Armstrong how a single pair trawler could decimate an entire run of river herring while they target sea herring. As Armstrong put it in the Aug. 22, 2004 Standard-Times, "We know that in the winter that, to some degree, the runs stick together and mix it up with the sea herring." Armstrong added, "They are landing 300,000 pounds at a whack. So say that the Mattapoisett River run is 100,000 fish, which is about 50,000 pounds. In theory you could catch an entire run of fish. It could wipe them out."

Despite such facts, I remember any effort to get meaningful observer coverage added to the commercial sea herring fishery thwarted at every turn by hired industry lawyers and lobbyists.

I remember scratching my head at a river herring meeting of the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission when the director of the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries, Paul Diodati, explained that there is a 5 percent "batch allowance" for river herring in commercial fisheries. A "batch" could be as small as a tote of lobster bait or as large as a boat's whole hold. The bottom line: Pair trawlers can hold upwards of 1 million pounds of sea herring, which means that it would be perfectly legal if they happened to have 50,000 pounds of river herring in the mix.

I remember thinking that as a recreational fisherman, while I couldn't legally posses a single river herring at all, that 50,000-pound figure above would represent the entire Mattapoisett herring run described by Armstrong. All perfectly legal to wipe out by midwater trawlers. "Theoretically," of course.

I remember when an industry lawyer named Shaun Gehan actually lobbied fishery managers to ensure that loopholes were added to the herring management plan to accommodate his clients' needs.

I remember most recently how the state of Maine's councilor on the New England Fishery Management Council, Mary Beth Tooley, saw no problem with the fact that not only do her boats catch river herring, but that she objects to the term "bycatch." After all, according to Tooley, who works for numerous midwater trawler interests, river herring caught in the sea herring fishery are "incidental catch" that are currently not being discarded, but rather kept and sold.

Do you remember the last time you were able to keep a single river herring for yourself, never mind sell one for use as lobster bait?

In the coming weeks, fishery managers will be weighing their options on actually getting real when it comes to monitoring bycatch in the small-mesh sea herring fishery. Recreational fishermen have been doing our part for years. It is time to close the loopholes and finally mandate the same from industry.

Fish_Eye
09-22-2010, 05:53 AM
Amen! Please attend the meeting in Newport on the 28th.

Let's get these signs pulled downed.

cheferson
09-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Funny , like 7 years ago i said the herring trawlers were probably getting lots of river herring too. I mentioned this to on a certain fishing associations email forum. I was bashed and called an idiot by the acting president who also said had no understanding of the fisheries . :biglaugh:

ProfessorM
09-22-2010, 08:47 AM
I don't ever remember seeing 4 wardens at the Middleboro run, maybe opening day, and in fact the last several years was a complete zoo there and a PIA to get herring. I remember 1 warden completely overwhelmed and line cutting and people taking way more than they were allowed with multi permits for all family members, I know I did it, just plain sucked. I don't miss using them at all and wouldn't bother me if they were banned forever.

zimmy
09-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I don't miss using them at all and wouldn't bother me if they were banned forever.

I agree about the banned forever part. I don't need to use em for bait, just I wanna see the runs restored for forage.

numbskull
09-22-2010, 10:42 AM
I agree about the banned forever part. I don't need to use em for bait, just I wanna see the runs restored for forage.

Exactly!

RoyL
09-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Agreed..............The best thing that ever happened to me as a bass fisherman. Forced me to work a lot harder at taking fish on artificials. Now I don't miss them at all

Back Beach
09-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Agreed..............The best thing that ever happened to me as a bass fisherman. Forced me to work a lot harder at taking fish on artificials. Now I don't miss them at all

Me too. In fact, I think you catch more large fish on the shads than on live herring...bigger numbers with herring, but bigger sized fish with shads.

FishermanTim
09-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Amen! Please attend the meeting in Newport on the 28th.

Let's get these signs pulled downed.

Those signs will de more descriptive as a marker that there are no longer ANY herring in those runs, than as a warning that you can't take them.

As for banning forever, I'd say sure, but then I never used them to begin with.
I figure that the true art of being an angler is being able to catch fish on artificials. Sure, bait does work, but TRY to attract a fish with something plastic and succeed doing so, and you have something to really brag about!

Mike P
09-22-2010, 01:54 PM
In addition to the shads, the Sebilles have pretty much made most of the Canal guys forget all about live herring :grins:

Typhoon
09-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Very simple solution....stop this

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t304/kal9wt/IMG_0293.jpg

flatts1
09-22-2010, 09:54 PM
ProfessorM wrote:

I don't miss using them at all and wouldn't bother me if they were banned forever.

While that is your choice, I think some of you are missing the point. Fishery managers have refused to manage river herring. Ban or no ban.

Personally, I do miss using river herring and when they are rebuilt to levels that allow their sustainable harvest, I hope the ban is lifted.

This pic brings back some really great memories. Someday I hope my son can share a moment like this with his own children.

flatts1
09-22-2010, 10:30 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 20, 2010

Roger Fleming, Earthjustice, (978) 846-0612
Raviya Ismail, Earthjustice, (202) 841-7619 (cell)
Warren Doty, Martha’s Vineyard/Dukes County Fishermen’s Association, (508) 564-0150

Lawsuit Filed to Protect River Herring and Shad
Agencies failed to prevent population decline of river herring and shad

Washington, D.C. — Commercial and recreational fishermen are challenging two government agencies for failing to protect river herring and shad from being caught and killed by Atlantic industrial fisheries.

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission and the National Marine Fisheries Service both are required to take measures to stem the decline of river herring and shad populations – and have failed to do so. Public interest law firm Earthjustice is representing the Martha’s Vineyard/Duke’s County Commercial Fishermen’s Association and angler Michael S. Flaherty in the lawsuit.

“Our communities depend on a healthy and abundant fish supply for their prosperity,” said Warren Doty, Executive director of the Martha’s Vineyard/Dukes County Fishermen’s Association. “The game of ping-pong between the Commission and Fisheries Service – where each agency points their finger at the other to act and does nothing themselves – has led to the continued steep decline of river herring and shad. It’s time for these agencies to take action and develop a plan that will rebuild our fish populations.”

River herring are a critical component of the coastal ecosystem along the Eastern seaboard, providing a significant source of food for a variety of fish, birds and mammals. Since 1985 there has been over a 90 percent decline in river herring populations, according to recent data. Shad is a separate fish species and similarly threatened. Both of these fish populations have been decimated by the unregulated catch by industrial midwater trawl fishermen. These industrial trawlers are up to 165 feet long and can hold more than one million pounds of catch. Though these ships attempt to catch sea herring and mackerel, they also scoop up millions of river herring and shad as “bycatch,” which are either discarded dead or sold along with these other fish as lobster bait.

“Recreational fishermen have been doing our part for years to ensure river herring populations have the chance to rebound,” said Mike Flaherty of Wareham, Massachusetts “It’s time to close the loopholes and mandate the same from industry.”

The lawsuit challenges both agencies for failure to conserve and manage river herring and shad populations under the Magnuson-Stevens Act and the Atlantic Coast Fisheries Cooperative Management Act. These laws are in place to prevent overfishing, rebuild depleted stocks, establish annual catch limits and accountability measures and minimize bycatch – leftover fish usually killed and discarded.

The ASMFC is made up of state fisheries managers from the entire Eastern seaboard whose authority for managing coastal fish species is primarily exercised in state waters. NMFS is the federal agency charged with managing our nation’s ocean fish in federal waters – typically those more than three miles off the coast. Both agencies have done little to nothing to managing the slaughter of river herring in federal waters or to prevent the population collapse of river herring and shad. River herring spawns in state waters but generally spends the majority of its life in federal waters.

“We have an unregulated federal fishery for river herring and shad,” said Roger Fleming, Earthjustice attorney. “We are calling on these agencies to do what the law requires them to do – conserve and manage these fish. The time to act was yesterday.”

“Midwater trawling for herring and mackerel is an unsustainable fishing method that threatens all species of river herring, shad, groundfish, and other stocks through overfishing and the disruption of the ocean ecology,” said Doty. “Midwater trawling undermines the viability of the traditional, more sustainable fishing methods we support.”

###

For those interested, the full text of the lawsuit may be found by scrolling down to the botom of the following link...

Lawsuit seeks protection for herring, shad in East (mentions bycatch as a problem) (http://www.honestbycatch.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129:asssociated-press&catid=54:print-a-electronic-media&Itemid=86)