View Full Version : LC South Shore Beach

jualma
09-23-2010, 06:50 AM
I was down at South Shore beach last night dragging eels and didn't do well at all. I was looking for some advise on fishing this area. Mainly I wanted to know if this is a reasonable spot to find some fish or should I head down the beach to westport or maybe sakonnet point or river? I am not looking for everybody to give away secrets but a couple of lures/plugs to bring would be great. I have been killing it for largemouth in the pond by parking lot but the sucess/skill doesn't transfer to the ocean. Thanks so much for any help given.

The evening before I was on the breachway by Georges in galilee and had the same night as LC. Some local knowlege on this area would be excellent also. Not looking for secrets or for fish handed to me, just a little help for a newbie. I am willing to put in the time, but some hints to make sure I am heading in the proper direction would be great. I am heading out this weekend to one of these locations/area around pt. judith or LC.

Thanks so much and wish everybody luck this weekend

redlite
09-23-2010, 07:49 AM
I was down at South Shore beach last night dragging eels

You are using the right thing. South Shore beach is mainly a better chunking spot. Nice FRESH pogie head out on bottom.
The rest of the way to Gooseberry and the other to Sakonnet Point are pretty tough for access/ parking. Private and a lot of the lanes have security guards at them (Warren's Point). Got ta be careful where park or you stand a good chance of coming back to no car. You can work all along in either direction. Its tough going. Make sure you got korkers. No real secrets, just gotta be out there, throw eels, and hunt em.....and its been pretty dead all over that way so far for ME this year.
Good luck.

striperman36
09-23-2010, 08:02 AM
You are using the right thing. South Shore beach is mainly a better chunking spot. Nice FRESH pogie head out on bottom.
The rest of the way to Gooseberry and the other to Sakonnet Point are pretty tough for access/ parking. Private and a lot of the lanes have security guards at them (Warren's Point). Got ta be careful where park or you stand a good chance of coming back to no car. You can work all along in either direction. Its tough going. Make sure you got korkers. No real secrets, just gotta be out there, throw eels, and hunt em.....and its been pretty dead all over that way so far for ME this year.
Good luck.

Boat wise too Dead at all tides.

luds
09-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Another vote for the deadness of that area.

striperman36
09-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Going downhill the last few years, no bait at all. I think 2006 was the best last year when albies stayed in mass for weeks

luds
09-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Going downhill the last few years, no bait at all. I think 2006 was the best last year when albies stayed in mass for weeks

I think that area is sensitive to water temps. My best seasons on the North Shore and on the New Hampshire coast have been when that area has sucked. Those have also been really hot summers.

bloocrab
09-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Dead sticking that spot can be tough at times due to the surf and current. Next thing ya know, your "Nice FRESH pogie head" is rolling on the sand about 100 yds down the beach....For dead stickin'...you want some serious lead and a very TALL pole holder.

There are some really fishy areas to the hard right. Be careful at night though, I've encountered some angry dogs along the way.

Question for you: I Haven't been down that way in a bit. Myself, Goose and Tattoo dug out the herring run quite a few years back........what's the condition of that thing nowadays?.....Is there even an opening anymore? Or even a 2nd creek???....Used to pull LOTS of Bloocrabs out of those creeks.....amongst other things. :devil2:

jualma
09-25-2010, 01:47 PM
I have been there a lot this ummer and i never saw second creek open. The beach itself came through the winter storms in really bad shape. The parking lot full of rocks. Earl was not good for it at all either, but after the storm the quicksand pond was full of blue crabs. Kids were catching buckets full and letting them go. Some of those crabs on the weekend were probably caught 20 times. The pond by first creek has been great for LMB, have really done well this summer.