View Full Version : Best Mosquito and bug repellant

Saltheart
09-25-2010, 12:29 PM
As a follow up to Big Fishes post , I was wondering what peoples opinions are on bug repellants.

I think best is Deep Woods Off. I believe it really works on the bugs but may kill people after long term use. Its powerful stuff.

The best all around that I really liked was some Cutters that came in the form of a stick like a stck deodorant. It was like a soft wax and you pushed it up from the bottom as you used it. Kept the bugs away but also enabled you to do your face and around your eyes without breathing it , tasting it or getting it in your eyes like a spray.

Unfortunately , once my thing of it ran out , I couldn't find any more. Anybody see this stuff in stores?

JamesJet
09-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Good thread, I agree that deep woods has been the most effective as far as my experience goes. Interested as to peoples opinions of the thermocell.

numbskull
09-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Still got some Ben's 100% DEET down cellar if any young braves want to try it. Dissolves most everything....including your brain.

UserRemoved1
09-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Don't know if you can buy it down here but I found this Muskol stuff up in New Brunswick about 20 years ago and it works pisser. I used this on a job in N Vt and it even works on those stupid deer flies.

Home (http://www.muskol.com/en/home/)

MarkB
09-25-2010, 02:54 PM
I go with the most DEET possible. I wouldn't add it to baby food, but other than that I don't see a problem with it. Millions of people used DEET for years - if there was a real problem, we'd know now.

Spray it on the back of your hand, and wipe it on your face and neck.

basswipe
09-25-2010, 03:15 PM
I still have some military issue 100 percent DEET repellent that's close to 25yrs old that was issued to me when I joined.Still works but stinks and makes your skin feel like rubber.

These days the newer repellents with Picaridin have much more of the said active ingredient.I now only use Cutter Advanced with 7% Picaridin,works great without any stink or that nasty rubbery feeling on your skin.

Obviously nothing will beat 100% DEET.

MartinD18
09-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Old Tyme Woodsman's Fly Dope. Sold and made in Maine, not easy to find, probably because no store wants the stinky stuff on the shelf. I think the main ingredient is some kind of super reduced pine tar but I could be wrong. There are cabins in some of the old fishing camps in Maine that absolutely reek of the stuff. But there is a reason - it is the only things that works on black flies when they are at their worst. It is banned in my house however. If you're brave and live alone (!) you may want to try some. I doubt it's as bad for you as DEET may be however.

timmah
09-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Funny thing an old guy showed me for no see ums and black flys is to rub Marigold flowers on your skin and clothes. It really works well. NO WISE CRACKS. :rotf2:

It does really work.

iamskippy
09-25-2010, 06:41 PM
NO WISE CRACKS. :rotf2:.

You cant drop one like that then say no wise cracks, i declare FOUL!

Was his name herbert?

Mike P
09-25-2010, 07:20 PM
If you use a spray, give a blast to your fingers and use them to apply it to your face ;)

Slingah
09-25-2010, 07:22 PM
100% DEET....walmart...camping isle

beamie
09-26-2010, 07:04 AM
Don't know if you can buy it down here but I found this Muskol stuff up in New Brunswick about 20 years ago and it works pisser. I used this on a job in N Vt and it even works on those stupid deer flies.

Home (http://www.muskol.com/en/home/)

Bingo, I still use muskol. Have a couple partial bottles that have been on the boat and in the bag for 20+ years. 95%Deet or someting like that.

JohnnyD
09-26-2010, 02:51 PM
http://www.treasurehuntersupply.com/sitebuilder/images/100deet-215x345.jpg

Only on my clothes.

striperman36
09-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Want to try this?
3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent 12 Lotion Review (http://www.consumersearch.com/insect-repellent/3m-ultrathon-insect-repellent-12-lotion)

BassDawg
09-26-2010, 03:47 PM
at Kay's on Plum Island~~~
or on-line,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the very best repellant i know is
SkinSoSoft by AVON. no nasty chemicals, good for the skin,

MOST importantly, it works everytime!

striperman36
09-26-2010, 03:49 PM
I've gotten bit badly with SkinSoSoft, particularly deer flies and Black Flies