View Full Version : Foul Weather Gear ?

numbskull
09-27-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm looking for suggestions for breathable, tough, comfortable stuff to cast all day in. Any ideas? Thanks.

luds
09-27-2010, 09:56 AM
I wear gill breathable overalls in the surf. they are extremely tough and not too expensive.

luds
09-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Both of these are awsome. I've worn them in the surf a ton over the last couple seasons and they're still kickin'. The top is really lightweight but good for layering. The neck closure can be worn fastened or unfastened. Wish they maded it hooded.

Gill North America: Dinghy/One Design - Dinghy Trouser (http://www.gillna.com/dinghy/dinghy_4351.php)

Gill North America: Dinghy/One Design - Spray Smock Top 4352 (http://www.gillna.com/dinghy/dinghy_4352.php)

Bronko
09-27-2010, 12:41 PM
After owning numerous jackets/tops etc... over the last 20+ years I have narrowed my choices down to 2 brands. For winter I only buy NorthFace jackets. For spring through fall foul weather gear I have always gone with the Helly-Hansen products. Just really high quality stuff and always really comfortable.

ONE DESIGN RACING SMOCK - hellyhansen.com (http://shop.hellyhansen.com/US/item/31270/?partner=6005&t_type=src&t_type=cat)

KOSTER HIGH FIT PANT - hellyhansen.com (http://shop.hellyhansen.com/US/item/31479/?partner=6005&t_type=src&t_type=cat)

expensive...but well worth it.

Sea Dangles
09-27-2010, 02:49 PM
For the boat?

Typhoon
09-27-2010, 02:56 PM
I use Helly Hansen tops under Grundens for tuner wishing.

Mr. Sandman
09-28-2010, 03:15 PM
I have had trouble(s) with the so called expensive "dry tops" They just don't keep me dry. I find the breathable materials break down and you have to spray the hell out of it with waterproofing spray and while that helps somewhat it is not a good solution.

The dingy racing jackets are really great. They keep you dry and are very light and comfortable but the ones I have used are not breathable. There is a multi-layer fabric and in the middle is a waterproof membrane. It keeps water out but you will perspire.

I wear the dingy jackets all summer because they are so light but they are not perfect.

I have not tried helly hanson's and that may be different.

Right now I think I have 6 pair of rain gear in different formats:
everything from the dingy jackets to Grunden Hercules. Nothing is perfect. I really don't think they make a really good breathable product that lasts.

I am about to go to LLbean and just start returning them when they become non waterproof. There return policy is second to none.

redlite
09-28-2010, 03:30 PM
I have had trouble(s) with the so called expensive "dry tops" They just don't keep me dry. I find the breathable materials break down and you have to spray the hell out of it with waterproofing spray and while that helps somewhat it is not a good solution.

The dingy racing jackets are really great. They keep you dry and are very light and comfortable but the ones I have used are not breathable. There is a multi-layer fabric and in the middle is a waterproof membrane. It keeps water out but you will perspire.

I wear the dingy jackets all summer because they are so light but they are not perfect.

I have not tried helly hanson's and that may be different.

Right now I think I have 6 pair of rain gear in different formats:
everything from the dingy jackets to Grunden Hercules. Nothing is perfect. I really don't think they make a really good breathable product that lasts.

I am about to go to LLbean and just start returning them when they become non waterproof. There return policy is second to none.

I have had the same problem with the Cabela's Guidewear GoreTex jacket and bibs. The membrane gets clogged up from the salt and wetness just transfers through. GoreTex is guaranteed to keep you dry and last forever. Doesn't matter if it 20yrs old. Problem is you have to send it back to W. Gore directly for testing.Growing up I had a real nice Gill yachting/ sailing nylon type bib/ jacket, that even had the "waterproof" pockets that folded over twice to lock out moisture. didn't work. I still got wet even in that. And sweated like crazy.
Over the years for skiing and outdoor (hiking/ camping) my family and I have all paid the $$ for GoreTex clothing and footwear and it is just hightech overpriced scam. You still sweat like crazy in it. No breathability or moisture transfer out. Moisture goes both ways. At least the Grundens and Guy Cottens will keep you warmer when you sweat in them......I prefer the Guy Cotten stuff nowadays over the Grundens as the Grundens are canvas/ cotten lined, so they hold moisture and don't dry for weeks. Guy Cotten stuff isn't lined so it drys quick. They have their factory down on the water front in New Bedford. I had them make some custom changes to my rain gear and they did it for free.
I do like those tops you showed Luds. Look like they'd be a good alternative to a dry top top.
As usual, what you seek does not exist.

striperman36
09-28-2010, 05:51 PM
I have had the same problem with the Cabela's Guidewear GoreTex jacket and bibs. The membrane gets clogged up from the salt and wetness just transfers through. GoreTex is guaranteed to keep you dry and last forever. Doesn't matter if it 20yrs old. Problem is you have to send it back to W. Gore directly for testing.Growing up I had a real nice Gill yachting/ sailing nylon type bib/ jacket, that even had the "waterproof" pockets that folded over twice to lock out moisture. didn't work. I still got wet even in that. And sweated like crazy.
Over the years for skiing and outdoor (hiking/ camping) my family and I have all paid the $$ for GoreTex clothing and footwear and it is just hightech overpriced scam. You still sweat like crazy in it. No breathability or moisture transfer out. Moisture goes both ways. At least the Grundens and Guy Cottens will keep you warmer when you sweat in them......I prefer the Guy Cotten stuff nowadays over the Grundens as the Grundens are canvas/ cotten lined, so they hold moisture and don't dry for weeks. Guy Cotten stuff isn't lined so it drys quick. They have their factory down on the water front in New Bedford. I had them make some custom changes to my rain gear and they did it for free.
I do like those tops you showed Luds. Look like they'd be a good alternative to a dry top top.
As usual, what you seek does not exist.

did you ever wash your Gor-tex withe approved washing and then activating agent?

ProfessorM
09-29-2010, 01:45 PM
i too find Gor-tex not to be very good. Clogging issue. I just return them to Bean and get another pair for a year and then back again to return. A year is all I get before they get water logged. I wash them all the time and use dryer and use the additive tried ironing them all the so called remedies and still only last a few outings before they get limp and non repellent. i am ready for something new too.

johnny ducketts
09-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Try looking for Red Ledge jackets, I know that's what I wore in Alaska as an observer, and that's what the guys on deadliest catch wear, Look for the one that is packable and light. It's called the thunderlight parka.

striperman36
09-29-2010, 01:55 PM
i too find Gor-tex not to be very good. Clogging issue. I just return them to Bean and get another pair for a year and then back again to return. A year is all I get before they get water logged. I wash them all the time and use dryer and use the additive tried ironing them all the so called remedies and still only last a few outings before they get limp and non repellent. i am ready for something new too.

I have the same issue. Although I am contemplating getting a Herkcules setup for winter cod

MakoMike
09-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Grundens or Helly Hansons. Not breathable, but when its cold and the wind is blowing you don't really want breathable. Why do you have to stay dry when its warm out?

keeperreaper
09-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Grundens or
c-tek