View Full Version : Another PB

Striper_Haven_03
10-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Well seems as though all the hard work and lack of sleep has been paying off lately...finally. Caught and released this 46.6 lber this morning at the same spot/rock I caught my PB 45lber just 3 days ago. I had to stop fishing shortly after this picture was taken as the top of the tide was near and the water just got way to dangerous to fish. I have been blessed once again with the presence of a great fish.It goes to show eventually if you work at someting hard enough you will be rewared. Sometimes it just takes awhile. And although I havent caught that 50 yet, I have accomplished something I havent been able to in 12 years of striper fishing in one week. Time for some sleep and spend time with the family I havent seen. Back out tomorrow @ 1am. Good luck all and keep casting!

niko
10-03-2010, 08:17 AM
sounds like you're having a good week. congrats

PRBuzz
10-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Nice fish and may a 50 be in your sights before season's end.

bart
10-03-2010, 08:58 AM
awesome! congrats!

luds
10-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Awsome fish but be careful! 2 40's in one week I'm sure will have the vultures circling.

bloocrab
10-03-2010, 09:12 AM
:claps::claps:

Time on the Water + Determination = Big Fish

Congrats on another PB.

...but caution in the wind, as luds noted

Sea Dangles
10-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Nice,you are on a roll.

spence
10-03-2010, 09:35 AM
That's really impressive.

I'd check your buggy for tracking beacons.

-spence

Gobi
10-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Great work! Nice perseverance.

numbskull
10-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Go, dog, go.

doc
10-03-2010, 02:04 PM
...excellent!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

SurfCaster413
10-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Great fish!

Mike P
10-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Great job---I hope this blow starting right now doesn't kill that spot for ya. There's a 50 laying in there with those fish--all you need to do is get your eel or lure close enough :)

ivanputski
10-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Don't even tell your wife where you caught those fish... Congrats, and make the 3rd a 50...

BatesBCheatin
10-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Def start using different vehicles and sleep in different locales each night. ;) Most excellent.

Biteme
10-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Great fish and release :claps:

tattoobob
10-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Nice fish, Congrats

Piscator
10-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Nice work!

Finaddict
10-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Great stuff, keep it up ... love seeing your pics and hearing your stories.

eelskimmer
10-04-2010, 11:46 AM
My personal thanks for releasing those two PBs.
It is a tough decision to call in middle of night.
May your next one be a fifty and that will be the
toughest call. I got a fifty on my wall that has given
me twenty years of pleasure looking at her beautiful
lines, but when I made that decision on the beach,
in the middle of the night I also promised not to kill
another of that size. So far mother nature has helped
me keep that promise.
My thanks once again.

Striper_Haven_03
10-04-2010, 01:57 PM
eelskimmer,

Believe it or not the decision to let those to fish go was not a hard one for me to make. I told myself long ago I would not kill fish just to be popular amongst a certain crowd, to "one up" someone or to prove my surfcasting skills. I have never entered any tourneys or even shared most of my fish pictures with anyone. I like to fly under the radar so to speak and enjoy catching and releasing most of what ends up on my hook. I have one fishing partner that has shared the ups and downs of surfcasting with me over the years, and he has been present during most of my accomplishments and more importantly the disappointments that surfcasting brings. The disappointing nights,to me, are very important to the sport of surf fishing, as they make you appreciate the accomplishments so much more. That right here is enough happiness and acknowledgement for me.

Although these two fish were my first over 45lbs, I have caught bunches of fish in the low 40s and high 30s. I remember 4 years ago while fishing in late October at my "spot". We fished from 3am without a hit and around @ 6:30am, I hooked into a fish that made my heart pound and my knees week. After a 15 minute battle I had the fish 20 feet from my landing spot on the rocks. My fishing partner and I seen this fish with our own eyes,broad day light, and I tell you this fish had to go in the high 50s maybe 60lbs. Just when I thought I had the deal sealed the hook became dislodged and the fish paused for a moment, fluttering on the top of the water,then slowly swam away. What do I remember most about that fight? I remember telling myself during the battle how cool it would be to take the hook out,snap a picture then spend a few moments in the surf with her and watch her swim away. If I catch a fifty I dont know if I will keep her or not. Every situation is different. But I do know I appreciate encounters with large striped bass so much that its very tough for me to keep/kill them. Call me a wuss but I feel bad killing them. I bow hunt for deer and dont feel the same way when "bambi" comes trotting under my deer stand. All I see is venison steaks and the arrow is on its way. There is something about the Striped Bass thats very majestic and mysterious too me and I feel obligated to let them go. Weird I know but thats how I feel.

tysdad115
10-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Another great job! Congrats.

BassDawg
10-04-2010, 06:40 PM
NIIIIIIICE Work!!!!

congrats on another COW~~~

job well done, releasing her, too!

iamskippy
10-04-2010, 07:27 PM
grats!

Thumper
10-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Congrats on another beauty!!

BatesBCheatin
10-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Nope. Not weird at all. You have respect and appreciation for the fish and the experience. It's more than just an ego/bragging thing. That's all. Good for you. :claps: Tough to keep them for me as well, especially those big girls - which always will go back. 30" fish here and there if the blues aren't around will go home. Otherwise, I'll keep a blue to eat over a bass.

Wonder if you're out there on an east shore rock in this crap? Props to you if you are. I was checking out the South Shore rocks today, didn't look fishable to me... but that's me.

eelskimmer,

Believe it or not the decision to let those to fish go was not a hard one for me to make. I told myself long ago I would not kill fish just to be popular amongst a certain crowd, to "one up" someone or to prove my surfcasting skills. I have never entered any tourneys or even shared most of my fish pictures with anyone. I like to fly under the radar so to speak and enjoy catching and releasing most of what ends up on my hook. I have one fishing partner that has shared the ups and downs of surfcasting with me over the years, and he has been present during most of my accomplishments and more importantly the disappointments that surfcasting brings. The disappointing nights,to me, are very important to the sport of surf fishing, as they make you appreciate the accomplishments so much more. That right here is enough happiness and acknowledgement for me.

Although these two fish were my first over 45lbs, I have caught bunches of fish in the low 40s and high 30s. I remember 4 years ago while fishing in late October at my "spot". We fished from 3am without a hit and around @ 6:30am, I hooked into a fish that made my heart pound and my knees week. After a 15 minute battle I had the fish 20 feet from my landing spot on the rocks. My fishing partner and I seen this fish with our own eyes,broad day light, and I tell you this fish had to go in the high 50s maybe 60lbs. Just when I thought I had the deal sealed the hook became dislodged and the fish paused for a moment, fluttering on the top of the water,then slowly swam away. What do I remember most about that fight? I remember telling myself during the battle how cool it would be to take the hook out,snap a picture then spend a few moments in the surf with her and watch her swim away. If I catch a fifty I dont know if I will keep her or not. Every situation is different. But I do know I appreciate encounters with large striped bass so much that its very tough for me to keep/kill them. Call me a wuss but I feel bad killing them. I bow hunt for deer and dont feel the same way when "bambi" comes trotting under my deer stand. All I see is venison steaks and the arrow is on its way. There is something about the Striped Bass thats very majestic and mysterious too me and I feel obligated to let them go. Weird I know but thats how I feel.

mag minnow
10-05-2010, 06:15 AM
...hard work, putting the effort in and having it pay off.

Congratulations.

SAUERKRAUT
10-05-2010, 06:30 PM
eelskimmer,
I like to fly under the radar so to speak and enjoy catching and releasing most of what ends up on my hook. The disappointing nights,to me, are very important to the sport of surf fishing, as they make you appreciate the accomplishments so much more. That right here is enough happiness and acknowledgement for me.

But I do know I appreciate encounters with large striped bass so much that its very tough for me to keep/kill them. Call me a wuss but I feel bad killing them. There is something about the Striped Bass thats very majestic and mysterious too me and I feel obligated to let them go. Weird I know but thats how I feel.

Not many would understand those above thoughts of yours; but there are some! IMO: You will reap more attention and accolade acting as a samaritan for the striper than any who catch for the ki$$ kill. That's why Numbskull singled you out and sent you a plug.

Make striped bass a gamefish.

Bonds, SK

Goose
10-05-2010, 09:33 PM
BIG Props :claps:

numbskull
10-06-2010, 06:26 AM
That's why Numbskull singled you out and sent you a plug.

Nah, it was just another I was going to give you, but since you can't catch crap anymore I thought he'd be able to put it to better use.

DZ
10-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Striper Haven,
Best post of the year! Congrats on your accomplishment - and a traditional "wader clad" surf caught bass no less - refreshing in this day of wetsuits. I'd like to shake your hand for the release.

DZ

Slipknot
10-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Congrats! and thanks for letting her go

Tagger
10-06-2010, 10:14 AM
WOW !!!!!

PaulS
10-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Wow, congrats again!

When can we meet up?:) You can either send me your addy:biglaugh: or send me the location of your spot:rotf2:

Striper_Haven_03
10-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks to all of you. Sometimes I wonder if my thinking is bizarre or out of touch. I dont knock anyone who keeps large bass as its their choice and everyone has different motivations not to mention the law allows it. I also understand some folks have mouths to feed and this is their lively-hood. So I see both sides of the fence. Its just MY choice to watch them swim away.

PaulS.....lol....my spots ( I have several) are easy to find (NOT easy to fish and have cracked ribs,broken wrist and bloody head to prove it) and not very well known for producing large fish but can tell you the past 6 years have been lights out for fish over 35 pounds. Just no 50s yet although I am very,very confident they are there and I have hooked into a few. As far as my spot location....It took my 12 years to find and "learn" it and I grew up fishing for monster blue fish about 300 yards away. Its only when I stopped chasing diving birds from the beach did I find this hidden gem. Its somewhere between Marshfield and the canal. If you watch closely you just might see flickering headlamps @ 2am. This morning was very rough and we took 3 fish in the high 30s but the spot produces larger fish at any change of wind. Notice the forecast calls for NE shifting to the SW tonight....guess where I will be @ 12am? I have 4 days off in a row and feel this might be my last chance to end the season with what we all keep casting for.

Hope everyone has great luck this fall and this season produces the kind of memories that get you through the winter!

Fireman