View Full Version : keeping green crabs

RIJIMMY
10-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Anyone have experience keeping crabs alive/fresh? I was wondering how long I could keep them alive at home? Any tips?
Would they survive for a week in a bait bucket submerged at my slip?

niko
10-12-2010, 09:33 AM
how's the crab trap working out?

RIJIMMY
10-12-2010, 09:35 AM
how's the crab trap working out?

not too good! I baited it with some old, freezer burned eels and I dont think they liked that too much. I had one spider and one blue crab and ZERO green crabs! I need to throw a bluefish, bunker or some chicken in next time.

Fishoholic
10-12-2010, 10:01 AM
not too good! I baited it with some old, freezer burned eels and I dont think they liked that too much. I had one spider and one blue crab and ZERO green crabs! I need to throw a bluefish, bunker or some chicken in next time.

Keep them in the fridge and they will keep for weeks. Use tog or bass racks for bait. :)

Clammer
10-12-2010, 10:26 AM
they will last all season /in ya slip ;

just drill a buch of holes in a 5gal bucket w/a cover & your good ................... Got the asian crabs ,, going catch 5 gal of greenies tonight :jump1:

RIJIMMY
10-12-2010, 10:34 AM
perfect, thanks guys

Saltheart
10-12-2010, 01:03 PM
green crabs have to be the stinkiest of all bait. I don't even mean dead putrified ones. I mean live healthy green crabs. They stink.

RIJIMMY
10-12-2010, 01:19 PM
green crabs have to be the stinkiest of all bait. I don't even mean dead putrified ones. I mean live healthy green crabs. They stink.

yeah, I think the bucket at the slip will be best. My son barely leaves my eels alone in the garage and having them in the fridge will be too tempting. I can see him now with them scattered all over the floor with the crabs fighting star wars clone troopers.

Clammer
10-12-2010, 09:17 PM
mIKE ........i THINK POGIES OVER GREEN CRABS :fury:

Clammer
10-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Just got in >75 minutes of greenies /plenty to start with plus the asian crabs that were chased & caught yesterday ><<

Marc Z
10-13-2010, 11:09 AM
How do you guys catch green crabs? Do you use a trap? What kind.

I keep my crabs (Asian) in an eel pot with the ends closed and tied off at the dock where my boat is. They keep alive for a long time. I'm looking to try to catch some greenies now.

Thanks in advance for replies

Marc Z

RIJIMMY
10-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Just got in >75 minutes of greenies /plenty to start with plus the asian crabs that were chased & caught yesterday ><<

usually people that have crabs dont smile like that, too busy scratching.

Clammer
10-13-2010, 01:58 PM
nice ><><boss:fishin:

maddmatt
10-13-2010, 02:13 PM

i se why yer smilin! i wouldn't ming catchin crabs with her either

Clammer
10-13-2010, 04:44 PM
mm

I WISH IT WAS ME /THAT,S MY KID .......LOL:drool:

pbadad
10-13-2010, 08:12 PM
How do you guys catch green crabs? Do you use a trap? What kind.

I keep my crabs (Asian) in an eel pot with the ends closed and tied off at the dock where my boat is. They keep alive for a long time. I'm looking to try to catch some greenies now.

Thanks in advance for replies

Marc Z

Z Man your killin me. BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope your having a good time with the new boat.