View Full Version : Plugs that Suck

Just n time
10-14-2010, 05:32 AM
What are the worst plugs you have and would never buy again??? I plan to restock this off season and was curious as to what my fishing bros would stay away from..

UserRemoved1
10-14-2010, 05:45 AM
MINE :hee:

Hey at least I said it before someone else did LOL

The Dad Fisherman
10-14-2010, 06:05 AM
Only plugs that suck are the ones that come in Sideways.....other than that, its up to the angler to make them magical :hee:

victank
10-14-2010, 06:26 AM
No bad plugs just bad colors and bad technicians behind the action...LOL::fishin:

fishsmith
10-14-2010, 06:31 AM
mass produced plugs made by 'Storm', I got one as a gift and when I tested a knot on it the eye pulled out.

Rmarsh
10-14-2010, 06:32 AM
!!

Rmarsh
10-14-2010, 06:43 AM
I have been disapointed with lures that have hooks that will marry or get hung up on each other on the cast. A certain custom wood plug I bought does this and it sucks.
Had the belly hook swivel snap off of a another companies needlefish on two consecutive nights. Two different needlefish same company.
I don't want to mention names here.

bloocrab
10-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Lotta plug builders and plug builder's friends on here.......this could turn into a nasty thread. :uhuh:.....:fight:

The worst plug out there is.......... the eel.

THERE!!! I SAID IT!!...

UserRemoved1
10-14-2010, 06:54 AM
If there's a problem people want to hear it. How else can you make a better widget.

Doesn't have to be nasty.

saltydog
10-14-2010, 07:24 AM
Heres one. it swam great. nice color. BUT after 1.day in the water SPLIT:fury:

GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:smash:

ecduzitgood
10-14-2010, 07:25 AM
I won't buy gags because the paint fails too soon, I like his plugs but they don't appear to be sealed so water penetrates them and the wood swells and the paint flakes off after the first trip.

tysdad115
10-14-2010, 07:26 AM
My plugs say it's me that sucks! How can they do their job if I don't put them any where near fish? They want to unionize and vote me out...Wait is it normal to argue with plugs? I think I may have some other issues...

bart
10-14-2010, 07:53 AM
mambo minnows. they go by a different name now as Gags was bought out (i think), but the old ones and the new seem to have an issue where the back trebel rips through the plugs after one or two fish. I have about 6 of the old ones and one brand new one that have been rendered unfishable after minimal use. they do catch though...

RIJIMMY
10-14-2010, 07:56 AM
mambo minnows. they go by a different name now as Gags was bought out (i think), but the old ones and the new seem to have an issue where the back trebel rips through the plugs after one or two fish. I have about 6 of the old ones and one brand new one that have been rendered unfishable after minimal use. they do catch though...

black mambos are my favorite plugs, glad I have bags full from a few years ago!

Typhoon
10-14-2010, 07:57 AM

Those mambos are a tuna killer.

lurch
10-14-2010, 08:01 AM
All non broken plugs will catch fish but some last longer than others.

The problem I have is the price of the plugs.

Plug prices have increased to a point where most people cannot afford them.

Back Beach
10-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Plug prices have increased to a point where most people cannot afford them.

I tried to circumvent this phenomenon by building my own, but drove my cost per lure up exponentially...still not sure what happened...anyone need a $500 danny?

Fishoholic
10-14-2010, 10:00 AM
not really a fan of tsunmai wood. I was given some to try and swimmers were crap. PP's caught and held up fairly well. Stay away from the swimmers. I like their plastics though.

redlite
10-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Over the years, I have run out and bought many of the "MUST have" lures, and didn't catch diddly on them.- Wouldn't use/ buy:
Sad to say, but pretty much any style plug by Gibbs. They just don't hold up and most cast like crap. Paint wears off all the time just from the trebles rubbing.
And Back Beach lures- even though price is right, they cast pretty good, look ok, but don't catch diddly.
A lot of Yozuris.- hooks suck

Like:
M&D's canal pencils
Habs needles
Sebile stick shads (even though they cost way too much and you gotta change split rings out from the get go.)
Eels.

But I very, very rarely even carry plugs, never mind use........

JackK
10-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Beachmasters. :biglaugh:

Just kidding... Like TDF said, it's not necessarily the plug, but how the angler is using it. Each plug can be fished differently, and it's up to you to determine the most effective retrieve... and that can change with tide, time of day, spot, etc etc.

Some custom wood just doesn't swim right though- inherent flaw with wood, some just don't work. I have a few BM dannys that are garbage, roll out in use, and sit on my wall. But I have a couple that produce a nice wiggle however slow I swim them... Those are constantly in the bag.

My opinion for the most overrated? Sebile magic swimmers. I know some people have crushed on them, I just haven't had a single fish on one, and not for lack of trying. I really need to pick up a few stick shads though.

Just n time
10-14-2010, 10:14 AM
So much good info, with the price of plugs these days I really appreciate the help. I just don't want to buy something and have it break or foul hook or malfunction after a few trips. IMHO the old Rapala's really are over rated. They are really too expensive and cast like rubbish. Oh, Salty bugger your plugs are AWESOME!!The only thing I would say about some of the plug makers and their products is I would like to see some kind of a deal once in a while such as buy 3 needles get the fourth one free or a Christmas special or season starter special or something like that.It would encourage me to buy more product if I had a reason to.Keep the info coming and many thanks....

Vogt
10-14-2010, 11:46 AM
I hate all of the newer Gibbs. If you can find their vintage stuff its great, but most of their current production runs suck IMHO. Very inconsistant.

Also, any Gags wood is garbage IMO. The paint falls off very very quickly and the wood splits right away.

You can purchase plugs from major builders like: BM, Habs, Tattoo, Salty, Bigfish
and be assured that the product will work properly. If you do happen to get a dud (which does happen) these guys will make it right for you. A couple years ago I had a Tattoo darter that didnt work right. I sent Mike an email and had a new darter within days. Top notch builders=top notch plugs and customer service.

WoodyCT
10-14-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm loving plastic these days.

Super Strike anything :uhuh:
Bombers :uhuh:
Redfins :uhuh:
Atom 40s and Jrs :uhuh:
Doc spooks :uhuh:
Northbar BDs :uhuh:
Daiwa minners :uhuh:
Tsunami Talking Popper :uhuh:
Rapala Xwalk and Subwalk :uhuh:
Yozuri Hydro Pencil :uhuh:

Do love me some old Gibbs pencils, Salty Dahtas, Dr. C darters, Hab's needles and BM dannies however.

Mike P
10-14-2010, 03:04 PM
New had much use for the old Yankee Lures plugs. They had the worst swivels of any lure I ever tried---even worse than Gibbs. They had a nice needlefish, but I got sick of having fish break the belly swivel, and it was just too much of a PITA to re-wire them with good swivels. Especially when I have a bunch of Superstrike needles.

fishbones
10-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Boone needlefish. I don't believe they're made anymore, but if you see them anywhere, don't bother.

Zeal
10-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Boone needlefish. I don't believe they're made anymore, but if you see them anywhere, don't bother.

They are still around, mostly I have seen them in Sports Authority and other stores like that. Thank God they threw that POS on clearance for like 5 bucks when I was first starting out to surfcast.

No, I cannot be nice about it, those things are useless.

luds
10-14-2010, 04:48 PM
I never used one but those interchangable plastic plugs where you could take the head off and switch it from a popper to a swimmer never seemed like a good plug to me. Cool idea but I would say they suck.

redlite
10-14-2010, 04:49 PM
I never used one but those interchangable plastic plugs where you could take the head off and switch it from a popper to a swimmer never seemed like a good plug to me. Cool idea but I would say they suck.

You mean you fish with Lego's????

SurfCaster413
10-14-2010, 05:28 PM
I won't buy gags because the paint fails too soon, I like his plugs but they don't appear to be sealed so water penetrates them and the wood swells and the paint flakes off after the first trip.

GAGS SUCK i do like the mambo's

luds
10-14-2010, 06:16 PM
You mean you fish with Lego's????

Pretty much Mike

american spirit
10-14-2010, 07:11 PM
i'm sure they have their place, but the gags slammer i believe is what they are. no good, acts like a sail. casts 10 feet. i think it's more of a boat plug.

JohnnyD
10-14-2010, 09:45 PM

Hmmm... what do you set your drag at?

I've landed multiple 40 inch fish on a single mambo and never had the rear treble pull - granted I have had to bend back or replace the hooks on that plug a couple times. I know some people that the back hook pulls out on a lot, and others (like myself) that it's never happened to.

Braided lines, extra strong swivels, 3x hooks, heavy drag... eventually, something has to give.

JohnnySaxatilis
10-14-2010, 09:54 PM
not really a fan of tsunmai wood. I was given some to try and swimmers were crap. PP's caught and held up fairly well. Stay away from the swimmers. I like their plastics though.

tsunami wood jointed eels ive done well with this year, not taking anything big, but consistently catching on them. solid paint job i think, and quality hardware.... triple splits etc.. no jointed wood casts worth a damn however

afterhours
10-15-2010, 07:11 AM
no jointed wood casts worth a damn however

i beg to disagree- you just have'nt cast the right ones yet :).

Plum Crazy
10-15-2010, 08:08 AM
They all suck. No wait a minute... it is I who suck.
I am zero on all plugs this year. (not for lack of trying) I'm just going to stick to bait.

Fishoholic
10-15-2010, 08:34 AM
tsunami wood jointed eels ive done well with this year, not taking anything big, but consistently catching on them. solid paint job i think, and quality hardware.... triple splits etc.. no jointed wood casts worth a damn however

I didn't try any of those, but all of the "round & flat nose swimmers" either had a funky action off the bat or after a few cast the lip became loose and would slide right or left. Also had a siwash fall off for no reason. No argument on the paint or finish. Just don't eat those paint chips if (or when) it flakes off!! :tm:

i beg to disagree- you just have'nt cast the right ones yet :).

Very true Don! :grins:

BigFish
10-15-2010, 11:46 AM

I have to echo Don's sentiment!:uhuh:

Mike P
10-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Also, any Gags wood is garbage IMO. The paint falls off very very quickly and the wood splits right away.

Actually, I thought that his Sea Special pencils were a pretty good buy when they were about $13.

Now that they run closer to $20, not so much.

DZ
10-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Not that I use them anymore but more than a few guys have mounts on the wall taken with a Boone needlefish. Don't sell them short...

DZ

fishbones
10-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Not that I use them anymore but more than a few guys have mounts on the wall taken with a Boone needlefish. Don't sell them short...

DZ

I'm sure they were fine plugs back in the day, but over the years I think the quality may have slipped. I have one that's probably 10 years old and from the get go, the paint looked terrible and the screw eyes for the hooks had to be tightened after being used. I can't even figure out how they would become loose from normal fishing. As you know, there are some really great needlefish plugs being made today.

SAUERKRAUT
10-16-2010, 08:08 PM
I have been disapointed with lures that have hooks that will marry or get hung up on each other on the cast. A certain custom wood plug I bought does this and it sucks.
Had the belly hook swivel snap off of a another companies needlefish on two consecutive nights. Two different needlefish same company.
I don't want to mention names here.

If you don't mention the needlefish in order to preserve PC-ness, then I will: Rhode Island Lures Cape Cod Cruiser needlefish.

chuckg
10-17-2010, 02:26 PM
On the Mambos, there's a company in China, probably turns out a billion of them a year, sold under different names. You see them all the time for $3.00 at fishing shows. Netcraft used to sell the 7 inch model w/o hooks for $2.50/plug...

Gobi
10-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Agree with you. They are absolute CRAP. (The one I'm referring to specifically was bought because they were priced right, or so I thought at the time. I figured RI company, cool. Well, then someone told me this particular plug is just a knock off made in China that uses a local name. I'm clarifying just so there's no confusion with any genuine RI lure maker. Kapish?)

If you don't mention the needlefish in order to preserve PC-ness, then I will: Rhode Island Lures Cape Cod Cruiser needlefish.

Just n time
10-18-2010, 06:46 AM
A dozen new plugs, :jump1:The salty's needle in various colors looks like a good foundation to start with.Everything is going to be new new new!!!

joe the plumber
10-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Northbar Darters....

t.orlando
10-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Lemire Plugs jitterbug. Baught 1 to goof around with, made 2 casts, each 1 fouled.

Fishoholic
10-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Northbar Darters....

Really??

joe the plumber
10-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Really??

Fishoholic,

I knew I would get a responce like yours....Yes,its true.I just can't seem to catch fish with these plugs and you know what that means....no confidence in it when I do fish it...Thats not the plugs fault.

I am sure it is a fine plug under the right conditions,so I'm not "really" cracking on it.Just responding with my answer to the post.

Joe

rizzo
10-18-2010, 03:28 PM
i'm sure they have their place, but the gags slammer i believe is what they are. no good, acts like a sail. casts 10 feet. i think it's more of a boat plug.

I agree, they constant line catch, and tumble. I dont trust them at all for holding up to fish... BUT I know a guy that has taken two 50"+ fish on these lures from the shore. They work in a handful of unique circumstances.

Fishoholic
10-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Fishoholic,

I knew I would get a responce like yours....Yes,its true.I just can't seem to catch fish with these plugs and you know what that means....no confidence in it when I do fish it...Thats not the plugs fault.

I am sure it is a fine plug under the right conditions,so I'm not "really" cracking on it.Just responding with my answer to the post.

Joe

Thanks for the response. You are the first person I've heard knock them so I was curious. I know what you mean with the confidence thing. Until this year I had never caught a fish on a needle and consequently hated them. I'd never give them longer than 5 or 6 casts and I was re-tying.. I'd often think about what I would tie on after the needle before I even tied it on. It took several fish to finally gain some confidence in them.. Now I fish them all the time.. And actually catch stuff :buds:

BigFish
10-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Just so you guys know its not just as easy as tying on a plug and BANG you catch fish on it!! Many plugs you really have to learn to use them and when you do....a properly worked plug can be devastating in certain situations!:uhuh:

rizzo
10-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Fishoholic,

Joe

The northbars were like a bass magnet for me this year. Best plug as far as numbers and size go. I'm thinking about trying them as skin plugs next year... I wouldn't give up on them yet!

joe the plumber
10-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Just so you guys know its not just as easy as tying on a plug and BANG you catch fish on it!! Many plugs you really have to learn to use them and when you do....a properly worked plug can be devastating in certain situations!:uhuh:

DAM!! And I thought it WAS that easy.....:grins:

joe the plumber
10-18-2010, 04:03 PM
The northbars were like a bass magnet for me this year. Best plug as far as numbers and size go. I'm thinking about trying them as skin plugs next year... I wouldn't give up on them yet!

Ok....No BS. I'm gonna throw a couple in the bag for tomorrow night.I will let you guys know how I do.....Serious.

Joe

BigFish
10-18-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't mean to sound insulting Joe but alot of guys think its just that easy?

joe the plumber
10-18-2010, 04:25 PM
I don't mean to sound insulting Joe but alot of guys think its just that easy?

Oh no...I don't think you sound insulting at all.Your comment was appropiate.I was just having a little fun because I agree with you.

You don't know me and its tough with this kind of communication.You can't see or hear the guy talking....I have a little sarcastic edge to my sence of humor.Just ask Gatta Fish....

Joe

jimmy z
10-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Any plug that doesn't swim the way it is supposed to. Or the lack of action, thereof:)

BassDawg
10-19-2010, 05:01 AM
ANY plug with~~~

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,RHM emblazoned on the side,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

never have swum well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,prolly never will!
:smash: :smash: :smash:

hard tellin', not knowin',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,with Big F Larry's craftsmansheep!
as i haven't had the privelege of sending any of his wood to the sea.

am hoping to win one, shamelessly whore one, or perhaps find one
~~~wedged amongst the bubbleweed and lobster pots~~~
:bl: :bl: :bl:

Raven
10-19-2010, 06:36 AM
so the plastic plugs according to Woody's comment
only differ in density
correct?

which allows them to be a slimmer profile

which might explain why wooden pencils are more consistent
fish catchers....:fishin:

just trying to get behind the "science" of shape and density here.:uhuh:

JohnR
10-19-2010, 07:03 AM
Joe - the northbars work, haven't used them too often this year but I have caught on them.

tattoobob
10-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Joe - the northbars work, haven't used them too often this year but I have caught on them.

With our luck John maybe we should try them more

Rmarsh
10-19-2010, 03:08 PM
I tried the plastic Northbar bottledarter this year and it caught fish for me under the right conditions. Dropping tide at an inlet with current and whitewater.

joe the plumber
10-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Well...I said yesterday that I would throw a couple of nbd's in the bag for tonights fishing,but with this big,glorious,nearly full moon with no clouds to tone it down,I am opting out and doing first light Wednesday.

I will see what happens.....

Clogston29
10-20-2010, 06:08 AM
gags was able to convince me to buy some crap early on in my surf fishing days (squidzee and slammer). i still like the mambo in the small size, but only in the solid colors (herring is really the only one I use, though I also like the pogie), the flash ones are very inconsistant (some swim and some don't).

i like to think i've become alittle more informed since and tend to buy less crap. a quick walk around rissa or msba shows in the spring and you'll see alot of crap lures. before buying anything, i'd look around for some reviews from people who seam to know what's up. in the end, your probably best off sticking with basic plugs (plastic swimmers, needles, dannys, juniors, shads) in basic colors (white, yellow/white, black/burple, herring) by the established brands / makers (bomber, redfin, habs, afterhours, salty, beachmaster, superstrike) and picking up some different stuff once you really know what your looking for.

BassDawg
10-21-2010, 05:45 AM
gags was able to convince me to buy some crap early on in my surf fishing days (squidzee and slammer). i still like the mambo in the small size, but only in the solid colors (herring is really the only one I use, though I also like the pogie), the flash ones are very inconsistant (some swim and some don't).

i like to think i've become alittle more informed since and tend to buy less crap. a quick walk around rissa or msba shows in the spring and you'll see alot of crap lures. before buying anything, i'd look around for some reviews from people who seam to know what's up. in the end, your probably best off sticking with basic plugs (plastic swimmers, needles, dannys, juniors, shads) in basic colors (white, yellow/white, black/burple, herring) by the established brands / makers (bomber, redfin, habs, afterhours, salty, beachmaster, superstrike) and picking up some different stuff once you really know what your looking for.

ALL good builders,,,,,,,,,,,,

i would ADD these two to the above~~~

Surf Asylum by David Anderson of "The Fisherman". he was building lures LOOONG before editing, and his wood is unique in his interpretation of how best to WORK the surf, from top to bottom. very serious action and well worth the investment, imho. LUV Dave's swimmers, poppers, and WISH he would bring back the Slopey's!!! if they're there, this wood will find them!

Tattoo by Mike Dauphin. excellent darters, and pencils, and jointed eeels, and his 'sea pups' are his version of the spook. good colors and the lures hold-up to decent sized feesh! definitely have one each(sm/lg) of his darters~~ yellow for the B'ways/Ditch, blurple for any holes you might know~~ and at least one of his swimmers. worth every penny and must haves for dahtahs, imho, THEY catch feesh!

The Dad Fisherman
10-21-2010, 06:53 AM
LIFishInVt Dahtahs :kewl:

fishbones
10-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Tattoo by Mike Dauphin. excellent darters, and pencils, and jointed eeels, and his 'sea pups' are his version of the spook. good colors and the lures hold-up to decent sized feesh! definitely have one each(sm/lg) of his darters~~ yellow for the B'ways/Ditch, blurple for any holes you might know~~ and at least one of his swimmers. worth every penny and must haves for dahtahs, imho, THEY catch feesh!

Are you sure Tattoo makes pencils? I've never seen one anywhere. I love the Sea Pup and Sea Dog spooks, though.

Mike P
10-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Are you sure Tattoo makes pencils? I've never seen one anywhere. I love the Sea Pup and Sea Dog spooks, though.

I don't think he ever made them for commercial sale, at least when Habs was still alive. Mike started building with Habs, and when he went out on his own, as I was told (not firsthand) there was sort of an agreement that they wouldn't make plug styles that the other made. Mike made swimmers, darters and spooks, and John made needles, poppers and pencils.

I'm sure that they built plugs for themselves, because I saw John's bag a few times ;) And John did make "show plugs" when he had booths at MSBA and RISAA, including beautiful Atom 40 models. But never for mass distribution, I believe.

But it's very possible that Mike ran off pencils for friends and they got passed around.

joe the plumber
10-21-2010, 08:08 PM
LIFishInVt Dahtahs :kewl:

One of the best in my opinion...

BassDawg
10-21-2010, 09:35 PM

ooooops, i may have misspoke! my bad, but ya know how when ya take the plug outta the pkg and it sits in your plug bag forever, and then you're going thru yer plugs and you think this one's a ________ and that one's made by _________??

then that amazing pencil must belong to one of Li'l Rhody's fine independent builders. thanks for clearing that up, bonesy!!
:btu: :btu: :btu:

Just n time
10-22-2010, 01:32 AM
Yankee lures and storm seem to be right up there on the plugs that suck list. Gibbs has seen a big decline in quality, almost everything sold at bass pro shops is ok at best.Hope all my fishing bros are catching lots of fish,I probably quit a little to early this year as I got some news from a buddy upcape that there were lots of fish now invading the Nauset Chatam area and no one was fishing up there. He smoked a 40+ pounder recently. oh well.....

SeaWolf
10-22-2010, 08:18 AM
I don't think he ever made them for commercial sale, at least when Habs was still alive. Mike started building with Habs, and when he went out on his own, as I was told (not firsthand) there was sort of an agreement that they wouldn't make plug styles that the other made. Mike made swimmers, darters and spooks, and John made needles, poppers and pencils.

I'm sure that they built plugs for themselves, because I saw John's bag a few times ;) And John did make "show plugs" when he had booths at MSBA and RISAA, including beautiful Atom 40 models. But never for mass distribution, I believe.

But it's very possible that Mike ran off pencils for friends and they got passed around.

mike makes walking sticks, 1oz. they are one of the best lures for albies and burritos. it's essentially a small PP.

The Dad Fisherman
10-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Yankee lures and storm seem to be right up there on the plugs that suck list.

Wow...Yankee and Suck in the same sentence....If I only had a nickle...:hihi: