View Full Version : Evinrude 200hp Ocean Pro

srt44116
10-14-2010, 10:39 PM
I just picked up a 1989 Robalo 2020 Center Console with a blown up 150black max on it for a good deal. I bought a 1997 Evinrude 200hp Ocean pro, all controls and wiring, with a bad lower unit for another good price. Installed a new { used } lower unit and mounted up the motor. All is going well with the install and did some preventive maintance while installing it. New oil tank, Oil lines, Fuel fill, Fuel lines, Fuel water seperators, Spark plugs wires, and cleaned bowls. This install went good and took her for a SEA trial last week. Shes starts up great runs and sounds strong, BUT there is a few issues, At Wide open Throttle 5100RPM { wrong prop 15x17???} she will start to surge from 5100 to 4800-4500 almost like its running out of fuel? Is this a carb adjustment? Also when i get back to the dock she wil idle fine, then drop down cough and die. ALWAYS starting right back up.

Just looking for some help on these 3 issuse, WOT, Prop, and Stalling at idle THANKS

iamskippy
10-14-2010, 11:39 PM
sounds like its starving for fuel.

How does it idle cold?

is there a mix?

thefishingfreak
10-15-2010, 09:00 AM
It's the diaphragm fuel pumps. I must have went thru a dozen on my yamahas.
That's what causes the wah- wah- wah surges under heavy load. Not enough fuel bieng pushed thru.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

srt44116
10-15-2010, 09:59 AM
makes sense, i will try with rebulding the pump

FISHING_FOOL
10-16-2010, 12:11 PM
I am fairly sure its got a VRO fuel pump and you cant rebuild them. New they are around $350 but I am sure you can get a used one for around $100.

freebie
10-16-2010, 06:15 PM
you can buy a rebuild kit for that pump but they are not easy to do and almost never work. just buy a new one. it's not worth chancing it as the same pump does oil too. your low speed idle problem sounds like carb adjustments or dirty low speed jets. the reason it starts right up is that there is a circuit in the cdi on those motors that advances the timing a little for you. once it reaches temp the timing goes back to normal. if your carbs are not set right then it will cough and stall.

srt44116
10-16-2010, 08:57 PM
you can buy a rebuild kit for that pump but they are not easy to do and almost never work. just buy a new one. it's not worth chancing it as the same pump does oil too. your low speed idle problem sounds like carb adjustments or dirty low speed jets. the reason it starts right up is that there is a circuit in the cdi on those motors that advances the timing a little for you. once it reaches temp the timing goes back to normal. if your carbs are not set right then it will cough and stall.

I have a feeling that thats what it is when im docking. Its gota be the low speed idle. Also before i jump into a 400 pump, i am not sure its that. If it was that when it started to die around 5000-4800, i prime the fuel ball and it makes NO diffrence. If it was the pump i belive it would get better???

Van
10-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Go Here

BBC Boards: Evinrude/Johnson Motors (http://www.bbcboards.net/zeroforum?id=51)

Lots of Evinrude/Johnson gurus willing to help.

Good luck

freebie
10-17-2010, 09:05 AM
I have a feeling that thats what it is when im docking. Its gota be the low speed idle. Also before i jump into a 400 pump, i am not sure its that. If it was that when it started to die around 5000-4800, i prime the fuel ball and it makes NO diffrence. If it was the pump i belive it would get better???

I would say you're correct on that one. cutting out at high speed could very well be electrical. if it was high vaccum then you would get an alarm. I don't remember for sure but I think the idle setting on that motor is 4-5 turns out from lightly seated. might want to check on that though. they had so many different setups on those motors from year to year. when you cleaned the carbs did you remove the jets and throughly clean them out? also check the o-rings behind the carbs to see if one of them was crushed or torn.

srt44116
10-18-2010, 04:43 PM
The carbs are spottles, and after taking them of and eplacing the orings, I checked for leaks by running thw motor at idle and spraying thw bases with carb cleaner to see any RPM increase ( with No increase). Im kinda stumped on this one. Also i have replaced all 6 coils