View Full Version : freshwater fall fishing

american spirit
10-15-2010, 12:57 PM
i'm beat to chit after twin 1 year olds have been sick for 2 weeks, up all night, and i'm working full time. my saltwater season is over given the fact that it takes an 45 minutes -1hour to get to my spots. i want to target some freshwater fish near billerica. anyone have any fall species they target and recommendations?

tattoobob
10-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Not sure what your after but there is a lake down the street from your house that holds 6 pound large mouths And the biggest out of it was 9.2 pounds so you don't have to go far
Oh and you would be better off with a canoe

hardbait
10-15-2010, 03:06 PM
TROUT ALL THE PONDS ARE STOCKED. BEEN GETTING SOME 3# RAINBOWS

Clogston29
10-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Call me this weekend. Maybe we can get out.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

american spirit
10-16-2010, 07:08 AM
Call me this weekend. Maybe we can get out.

word. need to get outfitted first. i assume my 7 foot tica and spheros 4000 is overkill.

JohnnySaxatilis
10-17-2010, 05:52 AM
ya just a little bit. it'll be like that old axiom, killing a mosquito with a bazooka.... I decided to purchase myself a st criox mojo bass freshwater rod 6'5'' early this spring and really invest a little time to get into frshwater fishing.

No jay, ice fishing doesnt even count becuase when you're that drunk the only activity we're participating in is pissing and mixing and drinking the hot TAHTI

anyway thing is amazing. and my honey hole is absolutely packed with 2-3# largemouth and a couple biggun swimmin around there too. last night waitin for the carts to come in, went down to the edge, casted a zaraspook took 3 twitches and pow 3#. Its not striper fishing, but it wouldnt say it isnt any fun :)

luds
10-17-2010, 10:49 AM
word. need to get outfitted first. i assume my 7 foot tica and spheros 4000 is overkill.

might be up to join you guys at some point. got some co-workers that have been bugging me to go for a while now. might as well get a set up.

rizzo
10-17-2010, 07:09 PM
I've been doing a lot of freshwater lately. You can make it a nighttime game too. Check your PMs!

FishermanTim
10-18-2010, 11:40 AM
When you think about it, anything we learned freshwater fishing was only prepping us for saltwater fishing.
You had your lure selections, bait choices, and a multitude of rod and reel combos to sort thru.

In conjunction, some things I learned fishing for stripers I was able to convert to largemouth bass.

My #1 lesson learned that applies to both fresh and salt?
It's that night time is NEVER a bad time for bass!
I got the "what the heck are you doing" looks when launching my kayak at sunset. I had to explain to OTHER FISHERMEN why I was heading out then.

This time of year is unusual because most inexperienced anglers (myself included in my early years) thought that fall meant the fishing was shutting down in prep for winter.
WRONG!
The fish seem willing to hit MORE frequently and aggressively now because they are feeding in prep for winter.
I fished a pond in Arlington on Thursday and was slaying bass from 1.5 to 4 lbs. I just had to find where they were "hiding". Once I did, the fun only ended when I chose to call it a day.

Although there are still some stripers to be had, the freshwater can still be very productive, more so if we get a touch of "indian summer"!

Striper_Haven_03
10-18-2010, 11:45 AM
This is smallmouth season....they feed furiously this time of year... Chartreuse and white spinner with a big trailer bulged just 1-2" below surface or Smithwick Devils Horse for top water action.

Jimmy Fee
10-18-2010, 04:15 PM
I've been doing a lot of freshwater lately. You can make it a nighttime game too. Check your PMs!

Have you been fishing the smallies or big browns after dark?

Going to try to top 4-pounds for brown trout this week. The timing is right.

rizzo
10-19-2010, 07:00 AM
I have. Nothing to brag about as of yet. Too many largemouth still in the mix, but has been awesome action. The water temps were very warm until recently... We'll see what this next month brings.

Have you been fishing the smallies or big browns after dark?

Going to try to top 4-pounds for brown trout this week. The timing is right.

Brian L
10-19-2010, 09:20 AM
I find that Freshwater Bass are very aggressive from right now up to Thanksgiving. I think you'd have no problem going for them up to then. As far as the 7 footer with the 4000, it's a good all around combo and probably (if the rod is med action or better) will throw almost anything in your tackle box from spinnerbaits, to jig and pig, to lighter stuff like grubs or small crankbaits and minnows. If you're only going to pack one stick, that's a perfect choice.

Good luck!

Jimmy Fee
10-19-2010, 07:29 PM
I have. Nothing to brag about as of yet. Too many largemouth still in the mix, but has been awesome action. The water temps were very warm until recently... We'll see what this next month brings.

Gave it a shot last night between tides. Lots of smallish rainbows taking swipes at the lures, but only landed one. No bass at all, but the water was still pretty warm. Had one big trout come up, but pulled the hooks.

Green Light
10-19-2010, 08:06 PM
JohnnySaxatilis, thanks for the tip on the St. Croix mojo freshwater bass rod. Good to know.

tynan19
10-19-2010, 10:24 PM
My area has been slow , water has been way down but after the rain it is starting to come up. Just need some fresh trout in the rivers. Can't wait to start after the broodstock salmon that go in the central Ma ponds.

EricW
10-20-2010, 08:27 PM
I do quite a bit of freshwater fishing. I have a lake near me that is loaded with pickerel. They are a blast to catch. Right now is a great time for them and pike too if you have them near you. With the cool water it can almost be a fish every cast. I find April to be the best month, but October is great too. If they aren't hitting what you are throwing, don't be afraid to change baits. Soft swim baits are good and so are x raps and spinnerbaits. Trout for me have been slower this year. My lake is really muddied up with the rain, and in a shallower part that was 15 feet is now 3 with massive weed growth this summer. Got out on sunday with my son and got some nice fish. He even got a LMB on a vintage trout spoon I gave him to use since the pickerel like them.

Hope to have a few good weeks left. May have to bundle up some, but don't plan on quitting till mid November. Below is a pic of a 3 lb pickerel that hit a 3" swim shad as soon as it hit the water.

Good luck

JohnnySaxatilis
10-21-2010, 08:55 AM
slime darts are fun to catch, they do nice arials:uhuh:

No problem fish, i'll let you know how the thing does